We have been camping many times now. It started as an inexpensive way to vacation even before kids. We do not think of ourselves as comfortable campers.  I love getting new ideas from "seasoned" campers. 

I am always trying to talk people into experiencing Disney while staying at the Fort.  We love it!  Nothing else has come close. 

Along the way I have had many questions and have found the answers I need without 'posting" the question.  I may have seen my answer by looking at someones pictures, or read an answer found in other context. So now I want to post the basic questions for those out there that do not know the first thing about camping outside of sleeping in a tent.  Ask away!

My first few questions would be

1) Is it necessary to put a tarp over your tent after it is up?  Do you secure it to the local trees, protected by logo embossed cardboard of coarse, or do you let it rest on top of the tent and anchor it into the ground?

2)  When a new tent says it will sleep 8.  Will it really sleep 8 or do you need to go larger than you need?

3)  Why do I need to put plastic down under the tent if it has a "waterproof" floor?  I know the answer to that one!  I am not going to clean the bottom of the tent every time I use it and it helps protect it from debris you may have missed when you cleared the site.

So here starts the many questions we have had over the years.  I am sure there are questions you had too?  I should have started one when I got the pop up.  It may not be in the shape it is now had I known then....

We have been camping many times now. It started as an inexpensive way to vacation even before kids. We do not think of ourselves as comfortable campers.  I love getting new ideas from "seasoned" campers. 

I am always trying to talk people into experiencing Disney while staying at the Fort.  We love it!  Nothing else has come close. 

Along the way I have had many questions and have found the answers I need without 'posting" the question.  I may have seen my answer by looking at someones pictures, or read an answer found in other context. So now I want to post the basic questions for those out there that do not know the first thing about camping outside of sleeping in a tent.  Ask away!

My first few questions would be

1) Is it necessary to put a tarp over your tent after it is up?  Do you secure it to the local trees, protected by logo embossed cardboard of coarse, or do you let it rest on top of the tent and anchor it into the ground?

NO!!  A properly waterproofed AND set up tent does not need an extra tarp over it.  Seal the seams with seam sealer and spray the fabric with some type of water protectant. THEN set up the tent correctly.  Stretch it out completely, stake down every available stake and stretch out every available guy wire!!  The newer self supporting tents make it easy to just pop it up, but to be waterproof it needs to be set up correctly!!!  I do put an awning at the ENTRANCE of my tent to enter and exit in the dry!!  I can leave shoes outside, leave rain gear outside, and sit under my awning in the rain.

2)  When a new tent says it will sleep 8.  Will it really sleep 8 or do you need to go larger than you need?

NO!!!! If you look at the box, that 8 means 8 sleeping bags next to each other with NOTHING else in the tent.  Cut that number by 1/2 to 1/4!!!!

3)  Why do I need to put plastic down under the tent if it has a "waterproof" floor?  I know the answer to that one!  I am not going to clean the bottom of the tent every time I use it and it helps protect it from debris you may have missed when you cleared the site.

At the Fort, I even put down an additional layer of really thin plastic and then just threw that away!!!  The Fort sand is really nasty!! I also have a ground cloth inside the tent, just to protect the inside floor and an extra layer if water gets past the groundcloth and the tent floor.

So here starts the many questions we have had over the years.  I am sure there are questions you had too?  I should have started one when I got the pop up.  It may not be in the shape it is now had I known then....

I hope this helps!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I can attest to putting the painters plastic down under your ground cloth (CAROL IS A GENIUS!!) I would have tossed a $300 tent on my last trip had I had to clean all the crud off. I guess condenstaion builds up even if you are on dry ground, it becomes a wet sticky messy pile of goo. I did miss the corner and it took me a good 45 minutes to clean it off. Had I not used the painters plastic it would have been out of my patience level to clean!

We do the same thing. Love the cheep pack from Wallie World.

Do you lay it out and then trim to fit?

I dont really trim it, I think the roll I've been getting comes is 3 foot in width, so I just kinda spread it out, overlapping itself until it's large enough to protect the ground cover. I have no technical skills AT ALL. Trimming would require a sharp object which the hubby has forbidden me to use around the children.. :blink:

OK here's a question... mom paranoia here

Does anyone rig up an "alarm" of sorts on the tent at night? The mind starts to think about the what ifs....? Not just the human invader but the animal kind too. It was easier for me with our old tents, one door in and out. Our new tent, not so sure how I will "alarm" it.

Does anyone rig up an "alarm" of sorts on the tent at night? The mind starts to think about the what ifs....? Not just the human invader but the animal kind too. It was easier for me with our old tents, one door in and out. Our new tent, not so sure how I will "alarm" it.

I don't set up an alarm,, but I have my dh with me. He is huge, so i never worry wwhen i am with him.

We do sleep 8 in an 8 person tent, but it is very tight. Oh, and if you have that many in the tent, it isn't really posssible to move everything away from the tent walls is it is raining at night.

I havent really thought about an alarm, at the fort I dont worry as much and we haven't camped anywhere yet that is a "high" risk of invasion by either critter or humans, the only thing I do is put my 2 year old in a playpen, I worry about the little guy waking up and taking a walk. I didnt have this option at the fort last year so I used his "leash" on our wrist while we were sleeping. It wasnt nearly as painful as everyone told me it would be. I leashed his ankle instead of his wrist so he didnt get it around his head. I had to adjust myself a few times because he sleeps like a texas tornado but all in all, if I didnt have the "cage" for him, I'd definatley do the leash again :lol: (Our tent has one door, I tried putting a small zip tie in the zipper but it was a PAIN when I had to get up and pee at 2am... do not recommend this LOL)

oh yea, when you get a moment check this out, this is how I freed up some space in our tent. I'm not ready for my kids to be in a seperate tent yet..

http://www.amazon.com/Person-Portable-Camping-Bunk-Folding/dp/B004H325JK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=miscellaneous&qid=1304513874&sr=8-2

helps with the floor space and the kiddos really like it!

Hope that link works, if not on www.amazon.com seach, "double bunk cots"

yea, I just got the first one yesterday and it rocks! I ordered a second one so now instead of 4 twin size air mattress to deal with, they take up the space of 2, with a family the size of mine, it's hard to fit everybody and all our stuff and we have a 19 x 12 tent! I'm learning that fitting a tent that size is a problem at some campgrounds. Not a problem at our beloved Ft. Wilderness of course!

One idea is to attach a small bell to the zipper pull.

Two place this infront of tent. never_mind_the_dog_beware_of_owner_poster-p228545662961871892t5ta_400.jpg