Specialty hot dogs at The Lunching Pad - Tomorrowland, Magic Kingdom

From the Disney Food blog.  Any volunteers for a Fiend mission to give us some first hand experience?

Guest Review: Specialty Hot Dogs at The Lunching Pad

Apr 25th, 2011

by AJ.

During a weekend visit to the Magic Kingdom, Sarah Holodick continued taste testing hot dogs with a stop at The Lunching Pad. Our thanks for taking on this hot dog throw down! Take it away, Sarah!

After having an awesome experience at Casey?s Corner, Matt and I wanted to continue our hot dog throw down with the dogs at The Lunching Pad. We noticed last summer when the new dogs were introduced (I wish they had kept the Reuben Dog!), but we never made it over until now.

Since the Coney Island Dog seemed pretty basic, we decided on the Philly Cheese Steak Hot Dog and the Taco Hot Dog.

The-Lunching-Pad-Menu-500x251.jpg

Hot Dog selection

The cheese steak dog is topped with beef, onions, peppers, mushrooms, and cheese sauce. The taco dog is served with ground beef, lettuce, salsa, and sour cream.

philly-cheese-steak-dog-and-taco-dog-350x355.jpg

Philly Cheese Steak vs. Taco Dogs

When we received the dogs, we were a bit underwhelmed. We started with the cheese steak dog and were sorely disappointed. The steak was a little on the thick side, not shaved as one would anticipate with a cheese steak. I was able to forgive the steak as it didn?t taste bad, but we only received mushrooms. There was not a pepper nor onion in sight.

Matt loathes mushrooms, so I ate them and needless to say they were the bland, packed-in-water variety. (Do you see that big one on top? The camera kept focusing on it!) At least we got our plastic cheese quota filled for the day!

philly-cheese-steak-dog-350x466.jpg

Philly Cheese Steak Dog

We then tackled the taco dog. While it was an improvement over the cheese steak dog, it wasn?t anything special. The taco meat was okay and went well with the dog, much like chili does. The lettuce was fresh, and both the sour cream and shredded cheese were as we expected.

But there was something that was unexpected: Cilantro! Love it or hate it, there were some fresh leaves on there. Personally, I don?t mind the stuff, and thought it was a nice addition. Unfortunately, the dog wasn?t going to be saved by it.

taco-dog-350x466.jpg

Taco Dog

Of the two dogs, the taco dog takes the win, but if I was to order a dog here again, I would choose the Coney Island Dog with its chili, onion, and mustard. Or better yet, walk back over to Casey?s Corner and get one there! We ranked the dogs as follows:

Fourth place goes to the Lunching Pad Philly Cheese Steak Hot Dog. Placing third is the Lunching Pad Taco Hot Dog. In second we have the Casey?s Corner Chicago-Style Dog. And our first place winner is the Casey?s Corner Barbecue Slaw Dog! Congrats! (To see reviews of the top two winners, click here!)

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2011/04/25/guest-review-specialty-hot-dogs-at-the-lunching-pad/

I'll never have one. I like my hot dogs grilled to a crisp with ketchup & mustard only.

Now, my DH will be all over the Coney & the Taco dogs.

You're just a Sahlen's snob!  :argh:

Yes! Yes I am!!  I found a meat market just south of Tampa that will order Sahlen's!  :argh:  I've also discovered that Sweet Bay carries a New England brand called Kayhem's that are every bit as good as Sahlen's!! I will also stoop to using Hebrew National on occasion.  :wiz: Now, the mustard HAS to be Weber's - which Al keeps me in good supply of!