I've gone the adoption route in the past and it really bit me in butt.  The dog was 7 years old and got into the garbage every time she was left alone or at night, she peed all over the carpet and on our children's beds.  We had to rehome her.  :rollercoaster: 

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It can happen.  Not sure what the circumstances were in your case, but I know that finding a good shelter/rescue is sometimes as hard as finding a good breeder.  Just because someone is doing "rescue" for the right reasons, doesn't mean they're necessarily doing it will.

You want to be sure whoever you get a dog from, they know their dogs well and are interested in getting to know YOU well too.

It's all about making the best match and meeting your expectations for a dog. 

Sometimes potential adopters get annoyed when we tell them the pretty picture they picked off the website isn't a match for them. But we know our dogs - we live with them.  We know what they're good with and what situations they'll be terrible in.  We ask our adopters what their realistic expectations are for the dog they adopt - what their daily life is like, etc. 

Sometimes they tell us we ask too many questions.  Sometimes they act like they're doing us a favor just taking any dog off their hands.  But what they don't realize is that we're just trying to make sure that each and every dog goes to the right "forever" home.  We do everything we can to try and set everyone up for success.  It's not perfect, and a very small number of dogs do prove to me the wrong match and come back.  But the vast majority "stick."  :)

(btw, I'm not saying any of this pertains to your situation at all.)

If whoever you go to (rescue, shelter or breeder) is just chucking dogs out the door at anyone that shows up with a check and picks a dog out of a lineup RUN AWAY!  (That is, unless you're prepared to deal with just about anything that comes along.)

Ok... I'll get off my rescue soap box now.

Sorry... sometimes I get carried away.  :insanity:

Like I said before, whatever route you go, I wish you the very best of luck!

Well, I picked up our puppy yesterday.  She did really well in the car for 4 hours (Cherie, we drove to Charlevoix and thought of your when we past your exit :wiz: ), when we got home she peed outside, brought her back in and she pooped in the living room.  I tried to get her outside, but was too late.  This morning we woke up to pee and poop on the kitchen floor.  But my cousin would let her Mom and the pups out around 5am and it was 6:30 when I woke up, so that's too be expected for now.  She did pee in the living room when she met all of our kids, but I'm sure she was overwhelmed.  She's done really well since and is now napping.  :rofl2:  Instead of using a crate, we're using the 6 panel play yard so she has space and she's use to it because that's what my cousin is keeping the pups in.  So far, so good.

Oh and Rita, my oldest daughter saw the name of your doggie and she's now hooked on that name.  So I hope you don't mind if we steal your pups name.

Sounds great. When my pups were learning the poop thing, I would pick up the accident and take puppy and poop to where I wanted them to do their job. Not the most fun thing in the world but it works.  Do you have any training potty pads. You can keep it in her play yard and then move it closer to the door in small steps at a time. That works too. If you have any questions i'll be glad to help.

Did you wave as you passed my exit :rofl2:

Don't forget that Puppies aren't naturally housebroken, it will take awhile and unless you catch them in the act, don't yell, it will just confuse and frighten them.

Read up on crate training, one instinct the puppy does have is to not mess where he beds down. A crate that gives them enough room to sleep, but not so much that it gives them room to pee and poop will help housebreak them much faster.

:rofl2: :wiz: :) :) :)

Don't forget that Puppies aren't naturally housebroken, it will take awhile and unless you catch them in the act, don't yell, it will just confuse and frighten them.

Read up on crate training, one instinct the puppy does have is to not mess where he beds down. A crate that gives them enough room to sleep, but not so much that it gives them room to pee and poop will help housebreak them much faster.

:wiz: :) :) :) :)

Agreed. And remember right now you aren't training the puppy you are training yourself to learn her habits. It is an overnight success. Time, patience and consistency is key. :rofl2:

:) :) :) :) :)

Agreed. And remember right now you aren't training the puppy you are training yourself to learn her habits. It is an overnight success. Time, patience and consistency is key. :rofl2:

And I agree with that.  :)

This meeting of the Mutual Admiration Society will now come to order......  :wiz:

8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

It appears you've started down a path........a path that I wish someone would have enlightened me on before departure:

1) My daughter writes me a note about needing a puppy.

2) She never asks for anything, so Dad agrees to consider

3) I finally break down, shortly thereafter, our schnoodle Zeus arrives at his home

4) Realize that he is a member of our family, and thus receives same vacation rights as everyone else.

5) Buy a TT so he can enjoy Disney

6) Buy a bigger truck so Dad can enjoy Disney (eliminating a lot of the stress of getting there)

My, that was one expensive note my daughter wrote.... :rofl2:  (but I wouldn't change a thing)

I was just making this joke with my husband the other day but it is totally true.  We got a puppy - then a new camper and then a new SUV to pull the camper - I said to DH - whats next - a new house?

It appears you've started down a path........a path that I wish someone would have enlightened me on before departure:

3) I finally break down, shortly thereafter, our schnoodle Zeus arrives at his home

4) Realize that he is a member of our family, and thus receives same vacation rights as everyone else.

6) Buy a bigger truck so Dad can enjoy Disney (eliminating a lot of the stress of getting there)

My, that was one expensive note my daughter wrote.... :wiz:  (but I wouldn't change a thing)

I was just making this joke with my husband the other day but it is totally true.  We got a puppy - then a new camper and then a new SUV to pull the camper - I said to DH - whats next - a new house?

New puppy. new trailer, new baby. What a wonderful year you are having :rofl2:

My, that was one expensive note my daughter wrote.... :wiz:  (but I wouldn't change a thing)

Indeed - can't blame the baby on the dog though - LOL

My, that was one expensive note my daughter wrote.... :)  (but I wouldn't change a thing)

Indeed - can't blame the baby on the dog though - LOL

Well you could but we wouldn't believe it :wiz:

Instead of using a crate, we're using the 6 panel play yard so she has space and she's use to it because that's what my cousin is keeping the pups in.  So far, so good.

Congrats!!!  :banana:

If she keeps her pen clean, that's terrific.  If she doesn't, a crate might help.  The smaller the area, the closer they'll be doing their business to where they sleep/hang out, and most dogs don't like to do that.

Enjoy every second of puppy time - even the messy ones.  That puppy breath smell only lasts so long (ahhhhh)

We need pics!!

They should bottle it.  It's like an instant shot of happiness! 

Bz (left) and her sister Flirt at 2 weeks old...

DSC00027-1.jpg

with Foster GrandPaw @ 6 weeks old...

DSC00041-1.jpg

@ approx. 8 weeks...

DSC00006-5.jpg

Blizzard2-1.jpg

ears already starting to decide where they wanted to land...

DSC00029-4.jpg

Coming home day at 9 weeks...

DSC00007-5.jpg

...and it was all downhill from there.  :banana:

Kidding of course, but it is a damned good thing the little rascal is so adorable.

A few years ago I had my Lab puppy Kona and I took him over to my friends newly opened Bicycle Shop. We get there and I lead him around outside for a couple of minutes, he poops, I figure he's all set, I bring him inside.

Where he gets halfway down the row of shiny new bicycles all lined up on the new carpeting......

Apparently he decided to hold the pee until he could Christen the new shop.    :rofl2:

Luckily my friends have a good sense of humor...... and pets of their own    :rofl2:

:) :) :) :) :)