I just rescheduled a Pirate's League time for the two boys for next week and while on the phone, the CM told me about the Pirate Adventures for the kids (not the one where you eat and watch the fireworks from). I guess there are like 3 of them that leave from various places like the Grand Floridan and 2 others.

She said they go on an adventure for buried treasure and are gone (away from mommy!) for 2 hours. I have an almost 4 year old and an 11 year old. The 11 year old would do fine but I'm not sure about the 4 year old and him leaving mommy with a bunch of strangers to be cast out on the "high seas". I have a fear of him falling into that nasty water! (of course lifejackets are provided but still!)

It's reasonably priced for Disney...only $34/kid and they get a bandana and other things.

What do you think? Let the almost 4 year old go on it too or am I being overprotective! I know he'd love it!

I just rescheduled a Pirate's League time for the two boys for next week and while on the phone, the CM told me about the Pirate Adventures for the kids (not the one where you eat and watch the fireworks from). I guess there are like 3 of them that leave from various places like the Grand Floridan and 2 others.

She said they go on an adventure for buried treasure and are gone (away from mommy!) for 2 hours. I have an almost 4 year old and an 11 year old. The 11 year old would do fine but I'm not sure about the 4 year old and him leaving mommy with a bunch of strangers to be cast out on the "high seas". I have a fear of him falling into that nasty water! (of course lifejackets are provided but still!)

It's reasonably priced for Disney...only $34/kid and they get a bandana and other things.

What do you think? Let the almost 4 year old go on it too or am I being overprotective! I know he'd love it!

I don't the answer. I do know I would be feeling the same way. Of course I was an overprotective too. Hell I still am, I make my kids call to let me know if they got home safe :rofl2:

I just saw on "allears" review boards that several children of that age went and loved it. And apparently you can see the boat the whole time from the Beach at the Grand Floridian, I think under those circumstances I would consider letting a 4 year old go. But that's just my HO ;D

I thought about it all day and I jusNTSCnt see letting him go yet at this age. The 11 year old has no problem and wants to do it but then we will have a meltdown when big brother gets to go and he doesn't.

There is a pirates fireworks cruise where the entire family can go and I'm thinking about it. It's much more expensive but if I can talk DH into not eating at a table restaurant one evening and eating at the camper instead, we might do it.

I'm not sure my son (or me) would be ready for that at 4, guess it depends on the child. I think the 11 year old would have a blast. As a matter of fact, I think that is something I should check into for my big babies. Did you call the regular reservation line?

I called the line for the Pirates League and the lady then told me about the other cruises.

DD10 has been on each of the different pirate adventures. The first time she was either 4 or 5 and went with a friend's DGS10. As they boarded the boat at GF's dock, I was worried sick... so worried that friends who witnessed me stressing still tease me about it if the subject comes up. It was her first time away from me in the care of a stranger, unless you count preschool...

I am proud to report that she did just fine. Had the time of her young life even. They helped the youngsters put on life jackets and pirate bandanas that had built in mouse ears before the kids were allowed to board. In my mind's eye, I can still see my little long haired baby singing yoho-yoho and waving with a huge smile on her face as the pontoon boat pulled away. Getting off the boat later she had an even bigger smile and a huge bag full of pirate booty collected during their their treasure hunt and divided between the kids. One of those treasures was a huge hairy rubber spider which I shamelessly secreted away to prank her older sis with after dark... Ahhh the memories... :rofl2:

The trip is relatively short and we've found the leaders to be very attentive. I don't think 4 is too young, especially if an older sibling is going along, assuming that your 4 yr old shows an interest. After trying each of the pirate adventures, the DD10 liked best left from the GF. The one leaving the BC/YC is really cool in that they get to go inside epcot by water. The BC/YC cruise is also better if your concerned and want to sneak a peek of the action. They stop on the BC's beach for a treasure hunt and spend time within sight of BC/YC & BWI while the GF adventures they've taken have stopped at the old Discovery Island dock in addition to the resorts. The themes for each of the locations varies from the others so the GF/Bay Lake adventure will be different than the BC/Epcot adventure. The bandanas were also different at each when we did them.

As a parent, I felt more confident in the supervision/leadership offered on the GF adventure, but that's just my take on the specific days we've participated YMMV.

The only issue I've ever had with either is the menu. They ask you when booking if your child is allergic to peanuts. DD10 isn't, but will do anything in her power not to let a peanut of any recognizable sort pass her lips. Though we were told there'd be other options for lunch offered from the YC - as there were from the GF - they didn't take anything but PB&Js and juiceboxes. That meant I spent $30+ for a lunch DD wouldn't touch. I mentioned it to them before leaving the dock and was told that since she wasn't allergic, they weren't required to offer her anything else. Lesson learned... next time I may have to skip her pirate adventure or lie b/c if I'm paying for lunch, I feel like she should at least be offered a piece of fruit if a cheese sandwich is too much of a chore to take along...

I have my grandkids, age 4 and 9 booked for the pirate league and the pirate adventure out of the Grand Floridian. My DIL is a little worried about her baby, but he is super excited and his big sister will be with him. Right now, they're

more concerned that their pirate hair and make up won't be perfect for the Pirate Adventure. My grandson is so excited he keeps telling everyone he's going to Disney World in 5 days to be a pirate. We're not going until the end of June.

I have watched this experience from the shore in 2009 when my daughter was 10 and she went on the cruise at the Carribean beach hotel. I have to say that some of the manuvers in the water would make me concerned for a 4 year old. My son is 6 and I would think twice about sending him. The experience was fun for my 10 year old though.