Thoughts on replacing regular batteries with Lithium in a Class A.

Supergeek and I have an antique Monaco.  We have always used regular batteries but are considering replacing them with Lithium.  Anyone have these in your rig?  I do know that we are going to replace the golf cart batteries with lithium.  Both will cost a bit more, but replacing batteries all the time is for the birds.

Unless you replace the converter you will not be able to fully charge lithium batteries. It will still charge them but only to around 80%. I've also read that folks need to disconnect any alternator recharging of house batteries or add a DC to DC charger but am not well versed on the specifics. I suspect there are generator considerations as well depending upon how your coach is setup. The last thing to consider is lithium batteries don't charge below freezing so you want to look for heated batteries or ensure they are in a heated area (most people I've talked with do both). 

I have a charger for the golf cart that has a "switch" (it is a little more complicated than just flipping a switch though) for the lithium batteries.  Obviously I will have to do a bit more research, especially because I have an antique coach, to make sure changing over is the best option.  Thanks for the insight.

We have a 2017 Chevy Bolt that I use to commute to work and back.  I know all to well about the not charging below freezing, lol.

Newer quality converters will auto detect the battery type. Earlier ones that supported lithium relied upon jumpers or switches.

Most lithium conversions I have looked at are related to adding solar to travel trailers. This is one of the longer term plans for our trailer. These installs usually include upgrading wiring and other stuff that I suspect wouldn't be needed for a basic motorhome battery upgrade.

There are multiple concerns in regards to the alternator. One is the charging curve for lithium is different than lead acid. This is the same problem you see with older converters in that you will not obtain a full charge. Another is discharged lithium batteries can pull a lot of current which can cause the alternator to overheat. Output voltages from alternators can also be lower than needed for lithium (depends upon alternator). As I said a lithium capable DC-DC charger will handle this. It is also a common item used in solar/lithium upgrades.

If you're not boondocking or adding solar perhaps switching to an AGM battery over a normal wet lead acid battery would be an option.  Less maintenance than what you have and a lot cheaper than switching to lithium.

I thought of lithium, but since I always hook up to electric, I couldn't justify the cost.  I switched to an AGM battery this time.

On 12/6/2023 at 10:02 AM, djsamuel said:

If you're not boondocking or adding solar perhaps switching to an AGM battery over a normal wet lead acid battery would be an option.  Less maintenance than what you have and a lot cheaper than switching to lithium.

I thought of lithium, but since I always hook up to electric, I couldn't justify the cost.  I switched to an AGM battery this time.

AGM have a different charging curve than your traditional wet cell lead acid battery so depending upon the age of the converter and coach alternator these might still need upgrading. There is no way to get an idea without the model number of the converter and year/model of the coach.

6 hours ago, keith_h said:

AGM have a different charging curve than your traditional wet cell lead acid battery so depending upon the age of the converter and coach alternator these might still need upgrading. There is no way to get an idea without the model number of the converter and year/model of the coach.

Good point.  I was also seeing today how much prices of the lithium batteries have fallen.  That could also influence the decision.