I posted this a few moments ago in the Site Maintenance thread, but I wanted it to have a bit more exposure, so I'm cross-posting it to a few places. I claim Webmaster's Privilege in doing so, according to Section 8, Paragraph 42 of the bylaws*:

I'd like to have a conversation with the community at large pretty soon about the front page, and how articles get there, and what gets featured. There's some legal issues that I want to make sure are tamped down before I start appropriating trip reports for our front page, so I'm not going to post any trip reports (even though there are certainly worthy candidates out there!) until we have a policy in place. You might notice way down at the bottom of the page that we're claiming a Creative Commons copyright on original content. Without getting all lawyer-y on anyone, I want to make our intent clear with that.

So here goes.

Some sites attempt to claim ownership of everything that their members post. I don't want to go that route. I think you have the right to do what you want with your work, and you have the right to have a say in how it's used. The Creative Commons by-nc-sa license that I've chosen means that original content posted here can be used on other sites: (1)As long as the original author is credited, (2)For non-commercial purposes, and (3)as long as whoever uses the work doesn't add any additional restrictions (share and share alike).

To be clear: If you post something on the boards here, I will assume that it can be promoted to the front page, and used in other ways on this site. I will not use it for any other purpose on any other site, and I will respect your wishes if you would like to have something removed from the front page you don't want there. (I will also do my best to ensure that potentially personally-identifying images and text don't appear on the front page.) Furthermore, I don't claim that any trip reports, pictures, stories, videos, or anything else our individual members host here is owned by Fort Fiends, LLC, but I do reserve the right to enforce your ownership rights if I find that other sites are using content posted here outside of the rights granted by the Creative Commons by-nc-sa license (for example, on a for-profit website, which would violate the non-commercial use terms).

Gah. I hate having to sound like a lawyer. I don't even play one on TV. So let's sum up:

If you post here, I may promote your content to the front page, for all to see. If you don't like that, I will respect your wishes and remove it. I also pledge to respect your wishes in the future, if you wish to have content removed from the site that you posted.

If you host pictures elsewhere (photobucket, imageshack, flickr, etc.) your rights may differ, see your image host for details. I assume that linking an image here from a different file host (such as flickr, photobucket, what have you) means that you at least agree that the image can be used on this site, though.

If you have any concerns or questions about any of what you've just read, feel free to ask them either here or in PM's, as you feel comfortable doing so. If, like me, you've found your brain turning to mush after the last few paragraphs, then I humbly apologize.

*the bylaws don't exist.

That sounds fair and reasonable Chris!!!!! I'm also assuming it means if someone feels they need to, they can remove content from the boards in the future.

(Not that I would want to, but I didn't think I ever would from the the other place either.)

I use the same CC Attribution - NonCommercial - ShareAlike for my flicker photos. I've been happy with it for years. I've really been shocked by some of the requests. A publisher for ESE books wanted to use a couple; a Disney Food review site used one for a Disney Ice Cream Shop review; and a group promoting the Downtown Disney area grabbed a couple. I've also been hit up by a bunch of blogs and food pictures of kitties sites. Go for it!

That sounds fair and reasonable Chris!!!!! I'm also assuming it means if someone feels they need to, they can remove content from the boards in the future.

(Not that I would want to, but I didn't think I ever would from the the other place either.)

That's exactly right, and that's the specific situation I wanted to address. Even if things go pear-shaped and there's bannings and drama everywhere, I will still remove your content at your request.

I cannot begin to express how much I appreciate what y'all are doing by providing this site and making it so friendly. Thank you for doing the lawyerly stuff and everything else. You guys are the bestest. :banana:

X2 !!!

Tri-B

I use the same CC Attribution - NonCommercial - ShareAlike for my flicker photos. I've been happy with it for years. I've really been shocked by some of the requests. A publisher for ESE books wanted to use a couple; a Disney Food review site used one for a Disney Ice Cream Shop review; and a group promoting the Downtown Disney area grabbed a couple. I've also been hit up by a bunch of blogs and food pictures of kitties sites. Go for it!

Hey Ed....how do you do it? Do you just post something on your Flicker account saying CC Attribution, etc.?

I have pictures all over Photobucket and I'd like to not have them show up on pictures of kitties sites, etc. but you have to make your folders Public for them to be seen here.

Tri-B