Protocol For Oversized Adaptive Strollers On The Buses

This year we will have a very large adaptive stroller for our youngest son. It is too large to carry down the aisle, especially if people are already seated. Will we be able to take it through the handicap entrance? It will be no problem to fold it down once we're in to make room for wheelchairs. Help?!

When you have a child with special needs you can usually go to Guest Relations and get a Guest Assistance Card (GAC) that will be stamped for "Stroller as Wheelchair". They will also give you a red tag (like a bag check tag) that goes on the stroller so that CMs will know to allow the stroller in the wheelchair entrance. You do not need a doctors note or anything like that to get a GAC. This is NOT a get to the head of the line card, it just allows you to take the stroller where wheelchairs can go. The GAC is good for the child and five (5) other people with the child (six (6) total including the child). The GAC is issued for your length of stay. If you are an AP holder they will issue the GAC for a 3-month period and you will have to renew.

So, for instance, if you go to Mickey's Philharmonic you do not have to park your stroller outside, You just roll the stroller right in with the wheelchairs and park at the back in the wheelchair area. Your child can stay in the stroller and you can sit right next to them. Also with the Stroller As Wheelchair GAC, you will not have to remove the child and fold up the stroller on boats, monorails, etc.

Be sure to ask at Guest Relations for a "Guests with Disabilities" brochure for each of the parks. It will tell you where the handicapped entrances are and also show you where Companion Bathrooms are located. In these bathrooms you can roll the stroller right in, take care of your child's needs in private and roll right back out. And, of course, a CM can usually point you in the correct direction to the wheelchair entrance.

Lastly, don't forget the "baby care" stations (also called the First Aid stations). Use these if you child needs a quiet area (or you're a breastfeeding mom). They are cool, quiet and also have large private restrooms. All of them have nice cold water in their water fountains too. Animal Kingdom probably has the nicest. It's located up from Pizzafari (look for the ladybugs on the light poles).

Sorry for the rambling...let me know if you need more information.

Tri-B

Unless you have a good reason, I would think twice about using the external buses. People with WC/ Scooters will find it to be a pain during certain times of the day.

I agree with Lou! If you have a handicapped accessible permit for your car then it's easiest to just drive to your destination. You don't have to pay any parking fees if you show your FW parking permit. But, handicapped parking fills up quickly so either make sure you go early or go later (like after lunch time). If handicapped parking is full you can always drive up to the area, unload and then go back to the open parking area so you don't have to worry about trying to get the stroller and child on the parking lot tram.

If you must use bus transportation than make sure you go at "off" hours...like 2 hours after park opening, early afternoon. Be prepared to wait if you stay for fireworks, etc and exit the park with a major crowd. Most places (when you are using stroller as wheelchair tag) you will enter the normal transportation queue. When you get to the front of the line - if there is room - they will load you. If not, you will have to wait until the next one with available space. At peak times this can seem like a very long wait!

Tri-B

Karla, I'm impressed. Both your posts pretty much says it all.

Thanks Lou!

We have had to learn the ins and outs of Disney handicapped accessibility. I have a GAC and must use an electric wheelchair. Our Grandson's stroller is tagged as a wheelchair also.. Makes for an interesting trip on the boat to MK sometimes... :))

So I have done a lot of research and have found that many times we know more than the CMs. Of course, in their defense, they don't deal with it everyday and we do.

Stop by if you're in the area again....we're across the street now due to the water leak.

So I have done a lot of research and have found that many times we know more than the CMs. Of course, in their defense, they don't deal with it everyday and we do.

Stop by if you're in the area again....we're across the street now due to the water leak.

In three years I've only had one GAC and that was just a few weeks ago.

The lady flashed it and demanded that I should treat her two double strollers as wheel chairs. I assumed that the kids in them were disabled. Nope, she just had four normal kids in strollers. She took them out and I straped the empty stollers as I would any ECV. She probably told Guest Relations that the kids were disabled in order to get the GAC. It left a bad impression.

I'm planning to stop by on my way out tomorrow afternoon after a rare Sat shift, around 4:30. There are a few Fiends at the Fort that I'd like to say hi to.

Thanks for the replies. We already use the GAC and the tag the stroller as a wheelchair for the parks... just wasn't sure if you could use them for the bus. We've had a standard sized stroller until this year and have just folded it up like everyone else. DS's adaptive stroller is huge and there would be no way to get it down the aisle. We prefer to use the busses as DS LOVES to ride them. One of the things we enjoy about WDW is not having to drive, although we often drive to Animal Kingdom. We also use the boats and monorails to avoid having to fold down the stroller. We don't need it to be secured like a wheelchair. As long as we can take it aboard through the back we'll be fine. Thanks again.

Just a friendly reminder... not all disabilities are noticeable. Many people don't realize that DS has a disability. He looks like any other normal kid. We were treated pretty badly by a Haunted Mansion CM last year over our GAC card. I nearly blew a gasket and actually made a formal complaint before leaving the park.

I would just say, get in line like everyone else, but have DH kinda hang near the back door with the big stroller. When you and the family board at the front, politely tell the driver you have a large special needs stroller and could he bring it in the back door.

I've seen many drivers allow folks to bring the big strollers in the back door.

I would just say, get in line like everyone else, but have DH kinda hang near the back door with the big stroller. When you and the family board at the front, politely tell the driver you have a large special needs stroller and could he bring it in the back door.

I've seen many drivers allow folks to bring the big strollers in the back door.

Thanks Carol... this is what we had talked about and will probably be our best solution.

Thanks for the replies. We already use the GAC and the tag the stroller as a wheelchair for the parks... just wasn't sure if you could use them for the bus. We've had a standard sized stroller until this year and have just folded it up like everyone else. DS's adaptive stroller is huge and there would be no way to get it down the aisle. We prefer to use the busses as DS LOVES to ride them. One of the things we enjoy about WDW is not having to drive, although we often drive to Animal Kingdom. We also use the boats and monorails to avoid having to fold down the stroller. We don't need it to be secured like a wheelchair. As long as we can take it aboard through the back we'll be fine. Thanks again.

Just a friendly reminder... not all disabilities are noticeable. Many people don't realize that DS has a disability. He looks like any other normal kid. We were treated pretty badly by a Haunted Mansion CM last year over our GAC card. I nearly blew a gasket and actually made a formal complaint before leaving the park.

Oops! Sorry :( didn't know you already had GAC and misunderstood you were looking for bus information.

Lou...can you add anymore?? I think if the child stays in the stroller it will need to be tied down??

And you're right about disabilities not all being noticeable....we were treated horribly by a CM at Soarin and one at Spaceship Earth. Both times had to get a manager and lodge formal complaints. It really is one area that would be nice if Disney gave the CMs a little more training.

If I'm understanding everything correctly, although large, you plan to fold the stroller, and it can be brought onboard through the rear door. As Carol wrote, just inform the driver, it's SOP. In fact, if a driver sees an extra large stroller, they will often tell the guest to bring it in through the rear door. Makes things easier for everyone.

So, as long as it's foldable, can be brought in through the rear door, and once on board is not preventing riders from exiting or entering, I wouldn't bother telling the driver about the GAC. If you do, they'll assume that you need the lift/ramp and that it has to be secured and they'll perform nine tasks before finding out that they weren't needed.

If I'm understanding everything correctly, although large, you plan to fold the stroller, and it can be brought onboard through the rear door. As Carol wrote, just inform the driver, it's SOP. In fact, if a driver sees an extra large stroller, they will often tell the guest to bring it in through the rear door. Makes things easier for everyone.

So, as long as it's foldable, can be brought in through the rear door, and once on board is not preventing riders from exiting or entering, I wouldn't bother telling the driver about the GAC. If you do, they'll assume that you need the lift/ramp and that it has to be secured and they'll perform nine tasks before finding out that they weren't needed.

Perfect. Thanks Lou. That's exactly what I needed to know. :)

Oops! Sorry :( didn't know you already had GAC and misunderstood you were looking for bus information.

Lou...can you add anymore?? I think if the child stays in the stroller it will need to be tied down??

And you're right about disabilities not all being noticeable....we were treated horribly by a CM at Soarin and one at Spaceship Earth. Both times had to get a manager and lodge formal complaints. It really is one area that would be nice if Disney gave the CMs a little more training.

I completely agree. While most of the CM's are awesome... some of them can really ruin your day. :-( I've only lodged 2 formal complaints in all my years of WDW going. Both had to do with either a GAC or being told off by a bus driver b/c we weren't standing in the "right place" with a wheelchair (my son had a broken leg). UGGHHHH!!!