When: 11/27/10 

Who: DH & Me - 40 somethings, fairly adventurous eaters (me more than DH), love seafood and a good steak.  We're AP and TiW card holders and use the discounts wherever we can.

We had an ADR timed to be there to watch Wishes that night.  We arrived about 20 minutes early, and sat at the bar.

Narcoosees has a very "Cape Cod" feel to it - very open and airy inside.  The bar is actually sunken into the floor so that when you're seated, you're pretty much eye-to-eye with the bartender.  All the bar seats were taken so we grabbed a high-top table for 2.  They seemed short on bar servers, but the bartender kind of called us over to take our orders.

DH had an Agave Nectar Margarita - $9.75

DH is something of a margarita connoisseur (makes a damned fine one himself) and found this one to be decent but nothing special.

I had a glass of white sangria - $8.00

It was very tasty - not too dry, not too fruity, a little sweeter than I typically like.

Bar Bill

18% Gratuity (included): $3.20

20% TiW Discount: $3.55

Tax: $0.93

TOTAL: $18.33

We barely got a sip of our drinks and our buzzer went off and we were seated.  Our server was a young guy named Jason.  He was friendly and attentive, but not overbearing.

Appetizers

DH got Oysters Rockefeller (a special).  He enjoyed this quite a bit but it wasn't quite what he expected.  Hard to explain but he said it was a little too "oyster-y"

I got Brie en Croute - one of my favorites.  It was very delicious indeed - creamy with a nice flaky pastry crust.

Entrees

DH got the Swordfish special. He loves swordfish and orders it a lot.  He said this one was fantastic!  An excellent sized piece of fish cooked perfectly (not overdone and dry).  His only complaint was that the asparagus that came with it was large and not cooked as much as he likes (he likes his borderline-mushy)

I got the Crispy Whole Snapper.  The description from AllEars menu section reads "Crispy Whole Snapper - Basmati Rice, Charred Green Beans, and Soy-Lime Vinaigrette"

Now DH freaks out when I whip out a camera at the dinner table, but I had to take a photo of this beauty...

5213492540_fbe7a54c6c_z.jpg

I love fish, I love fried fish and I love Snapper.

This was the best freakin' fish I've eaten ever, and easily the best meal we ate in 3 weeks at Disney.

It was a simple preparation - a cleaned, whole Snapper, lightly seasoned and dredged with a very light batter, then fried whole.  The vinaigrette was slightly sweet and spicy but not overpowering and went perfectly with the crispy battered fish. 

This was not a meal for the feint of heart.  It was a WHOLE fish - head and all - and you had to work a little to get to all the bits of it.  But the meat really just flaked right off the bone easily and I think I only had to pick out a couple of little pin bones.  I ate the small fins - like tasty potato chips, I could eat a bag of 'em!

Oh yeah, this came with rice and green beans too.  :wiz:

The rice was cooked perfectly and nice and fluffy.  The charred green beans were delicious and also cooked well.

I could not finish this baby, but I tried my best.  DH picked at it when I gave up and even though his eyes bugged out of his head when they first brought it to the table, after a few bites he'd wished he'd gotten it too!

We had noted on our reservation that we were celebrating our anniversary and they brought us a free champagne toast.  Clearly the cheap stuff, but still a nice gesture.

And just because I never order dessert except for when I'm on vacation, we split the "Almond-crusted Cheesecake - with lambert cherry sauce"

And excellent, dense, creamy cheesecake with a tart, rich cherry sauce.  Not an enormous portion, but after all we'd eaten it was perfect to split for a little something sweet.

THE BOTTOM LINE (since I know we have so many accountants here LOL)

App-Oyster Rockefeller $14.00

App-Brie en Croute $13.00

Swordfish $35.00

Snapper $35.00

Almond Cheesecake $10.00

18% Gratuity (incl): $19.26

Add'l Gratuity: $3.00

20% TiW Discount: $21.40

Tax: $5.57

GRAND TOTAL: $110.43

We timed dinner pretty much perfectly and went out to the wraparound deck to watch Wishes at the Magic Kingdom.

Narcoosees gets 2 big thumbs up from us and we'll be returning again for sure.

And I'll be ordering that fish again!  :D

NOTE: DH said I have to post this.  :wiz:

Since I made all the ADRs for our trip, he just went along for the ride.  We don't normally order 2 apps, but he was afraid Narcoosees was going to be "hoity toity" with tiny portions.  He was sooooooo wrong.  Add in the delicious bread and we were both totally stuffed at the end of this meal and sadly left a good bit behind.

I'll second that recomendation!!  We had a sortof anniversary dinner there last year.  The service was impeccable, the food was outstanding and the atmosphere was WAAAAY less hectic than California Grill.

We had a bar drink apiece, Rick had the Surf & Turf and I had a seafood dish (don't rember exactly).  Everything was EXCELLENT. We also had a bottle of Fess Parker and shared a desert and saw the fireworks right from our table. I'm sure we also had an appetizer. (I always have any type of seafood chowder any restaurant has on their menu!!)

Our bill with TiW was about $200, BUT it was worth EVERY PENNY!!!

• 2 weeks later...

We just had our Valentines dinner there. It was good food and service, but the price was kinda high. We were able to get DWs 50% off which made it more bearable. I would eat there again, but it would be reserved for special occasions. BTW, the almond crusted cheescake was amazing.

I tell ya though, we went to California Grill and we spent $70 on drinks and tip and extras while on the dining plan there and our bill at Narcoosee's was over $200 without the dining plan.  I didn't feel ripped off about the $200 at Narcoosees.  I did feel ripped off about the $70 at CG.

• 3 months later...

From the Disney Parks blog...

Delightful, Delicious Narcoossee’s at Walt Disney World

posted on May 19th, 2011 by Pam Brandon, Disney Parks Food Writer

Narcoossee’s at Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa is one of those tucked-away restaurants on the shores of the Seven Seas Lagoon that we don’t always think of first – but what a treat. The place has plenty of loyal fans and was so busy on a recent evening that we grabbed seats at the bar, ordered a glass of red wine and settled in with Sergio the bartender taking care of us.

“Narcoossee,” by the way, is a Native American word that means “little bear.” (Just thought you might want to know.) When the beautiful resort was designed, the name seemed fitting for its historical architecture. The casual restaurant is octagon-shaped with plenty of windows for viewing the Magic Kingdom Park fireworks and the Electrical Water Pageant.

Chef Joe Wilson is one of those bright, engaging chefs who gets excited talking about cheese and wine and the best Florida fish available. And he also makes the best béarnaise sauce we’ve ever tasted – a dollop atop a buttery filet mignon. “I’m having fun every day,” says Chef Wilson with a broad smile.

It’s really the delicious fish that is the restaurant’s claim to fame – a whole Maine lobster; hefty crab cakes; sautéed Prince Edward Island mussels in a light, creamy pastis-scented broth; shrimp and crab chowder with homemade oyster crackers. His crispy whole snapper is a work of art.

5734672165_e2c794694d_o.jpg

5734672161_aa3b9d66a7_o.jpg

5734672171_a3675cf0a9_o.jpg

And vegetarians will be right at home with his beautiful roasted beet salad with goat cheese and orange-honey vinaigrette. And you can make a meal of the cheeses, from an Australian blue to Gruyère from Wisconsin. The cheeses change with the seasons but you’ll never be disappointed, each served with delicate honeys, apricots and preserves, and homemade slices of crisp buttery bread.

5734672173_b13abed771_o.jpg

And we’d be remiss not to miss the almond cheesecake from Master Pastry Chef Erich Herbitschek’s bakery. Take it home if you have to, it’s worth the calories.

5734672177_caff59fe28_o.jpg

Be duly warned, the little restaurant books up fast. If you’re considering dinner at Narcoossee’s, book ahead at 407-WDW-DINE. Have you tried Narcoossee’s? What’s your favorite dish on the menu?

http://disneyparks.d...t-disney-world/

• 3 months later...

From the Disney Food Blog...

Review: Narcoossee’s at Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort

Aug 28th, 2011 by AJ.

It’s quiet, it’s refined, the food is decent, and it’s one of those “hidden gems” when it comes to seeing the Magic Kingdom fireworks!! What more could you ask for? icon_wink.gif

Narcoossee’s boasts prime real estate at the Grand Floridian resort on the shores of Seven Seas Lagoon and has some of the best seafood on Disney World property.

Atmosphere

Getting to Narcoossee’s can be a bit of a trick — maybe that’s why it’s still not all that difficult to get an ADR here!

The restaurant is located at the end of the Grand Floridian transportation boat dock, which means it’s about as far from the front door of the lobby (and the monorail) as you can get! If you wind up taking a boat there, it’ll be easier; but since Narcoossee’s is a signature dining location, you’ll likely be a bit dressed up, so a boat from the theme park might not be the best choice. icon_wink.gif Once you arrive at the lobby, ask a Cast Member how to get there. It’s much easier than trying to follow signs or a map.

Narcoossees-Sign-500x175.jpgNarcoossees Sign

Upon arriving at the restaurant, you’ll walk past the Chef’s vegetable and herb garden, which lines each side of the entry sidewalk to the resort. (Oh yeah, remember that Narccoossee’s is outside the main lobby, so bring your ‘brella if it’s raining.)

Chives-in-the-garden-367x550.jpgChives in the garden

Tomatoes-in-the-garden-380x550.jpgTomatoes in the garden

Once you step inside, your first view will be of the bustling show kitchen to your left. Be sure to check out a few of the dishes waiting to go out to the dining room — you can catch a glimpse of what looks good that night!

Show-Kitchen-500x333.jpgShow Kitchen

Check in at the podium with your reservation and you’ll soon be brought to your table. Narcoossee’s is a signature restaurant (a.k.a. “high end”), but it has a very casual, bright, beach-y feel. Royal blue tablecloths set off white and blond woodwork, and windows line the sides of the circular restaurant. (I love that the shutters are lifted so you get the full view while simultaneously feeling like you’re at a sandy beach restaurant!)

Seating-on-Main-Floor-367x550.jpgSeating on Main Floor

The seating area is stepped, so you have tables on the lower level and tables on the upper level. This basically allows for great Lagoon and Wishes viewing for everyone. We always prefer a window table when we can get it, but these are mainly four-tops, so if you’re a couple, go during a non-busy hour (before 6:30pm or after the fireworks) and request a window table when you check in.

Seating-on-Second-Level-Looking-Down-to-Main-Floor-367x550.jpgSeating on Second Level Looking Down to Main Floor

One of my favorite parts of the decor at Narcoossee’s is the gorgeous two-story “watercolor” mural behind the bar. The lovely “cool” colors depicting a water-side setting is gorgeous, I think, and gives a real height to the restaurant as it draws your eye up.

Bar-and-Mural-367x550.jpgBar and Mural

Mural-Close-Up-500x333.jpgMural Close Up

And, of course, if you’re able to book your reservation for that coveted Fireworks time (check the DisneyWorld.com website for hours), you’ll have a great view from inside the restaurant or from outside on the wraparound porch!

Fireworks-and-castle-from-Narcoossees-500x455.jpgFireworks and castle from Narcoossees

And remember, this is a signature restaurant, so there is a dress code…

Narcoossees-Dress-Code-293x550.jpgNarcoossees Dress Code - click image for larger version

Eats

The menu here is primarily seafood, but there’s plenty for landlubbers here, too! We decided to order a bit of both! Remember that since this is a signature restaurant, the menu will change seasonally, and you’ll likely see some great local additions to the ingredients list (especially since this restaurant is Florida-themed).

Narcoossees-Menu-401x550.jpgNarcoossees Menu - click image for larger version

Narcoossees-Kids-Menu-438x550.jpgNarcoossees Kids Menu - click image for larger version

We were very pleased with the complimentary fresh Bread and salted butter. The bread tasted like a sourdough and it had the perfect textures of crusty on the outside and soft on the inside.

Bread-and-Salted-Butter-500x345.jpgBread and Salted Butter

And of course I ordered the cheese plate! I reviewed the Narcoossee’s cheese plate on one of my very first Disney Food Blog posts, and it’s still a favorite! Of course, the menu has changed a bit since then…

The cheeses are plated from strongest to least strong, and the first cheese is the Fourme D’Ambert — a cow’s milk bleu cheese from the Auvergne region of France. It’s actually injected at weekly intervals during the aging process with Vouvray Moelleaux, which is a sweet white wine!

This one was delicious, but if you’re not a fan of bleu cheeses, this might be a bit strong for you. My trick is to use a small amount of cheese and pair it with a sweet accompaniment to compliment the flavor.

Cheese-Plate-Fourme-D-Ambert-in-front-367x550.jpgCheese Plate -- Fourme D Ambert in front

Next up: Purple Haze! Nope, it’s not just a beer anymore! icon_wink.gif Purple Haze is a goat’s milk cheese from Cypres Grove Farms in Humboldt County California. It’s dusted with funnel pollen and lavendar to balance the acidity of the cheese.

This was probably my least favorite of the cheeses, as I’m not a huge goat’s milk cheese fan; and I also didn’t love the tomato accompaniment.

Purple-Haze-500x333.jpgPurple Haze

My favorite of the cheeses was the Reypenaer V.S.O.P., a Dutch Gouda from teh town of Woerden. The description says that it has notes of dried fruits and caramel, which I can vouch for. icon_wink.gif I really loved this one.

Reypenaer-VSOP-500x333.jpgReypenaer VSOP

Our next appetizer was a gorgeous plate of Crab Cakes, a fan favorite at Narcoossee’s! These cakes were large and full of shredded crab meat. They were quite “crispy” on the outside, so there was plenty of texture juxtaposition in these!

Crab-Cakes-367x550.jpgCrab Cakes

Crab-Cakes-inside-500x333.jpgCrab Cakes inside

We both ordered the most famous landlubber option on the menu — the Filet Mignon with potatoes gratin and shallot-red wine butter. (We don’t often both order the same thing, so my apologies — we couldn’t help ourselves!) This dish has always been my favorite here. It’s long been one of our favorite steaks on property, and the potato gratin is fantastic. The potato gratin is creamier than other “square cut” potato gratins on property, so if you like creamy potatoes, this is the way to go!

Filet-Mignon-500x362.jpgFilet Mignon

For dessert, we returned to one of our favorites — the Almond Cheesecake. We loved this dessert on our previous visit. While it didn’t quite live up to our former experience with it, we did very much enjoy this. The cheesecake is more of an Italian cheesecake — very rich and more loosely formed than New York style cheesecake.

(I apologize in advance that I couldn’t get a great shot of this one in the dark. I’m including three pics to give you a better idea of what it looks like.)

Almond-Cheesecake-383x550.jpgAlmond Cheesecake

Almond-Cheesecake-2-367x550.jpgAlmond Cheesecake

Almond-Cheesecake-inside-500x396.jpgAlmond Cheesecake inside

Our next dessert was the classic Narcoossee’s creme brulee duo — Key Lime creme brulee and standard creme brulee.

My friends, the key lime creme brulee is my new favorite creme brulee on property! I know I’ve said before that I get a bit tired of creme brulee in Disney restaurants. They have it everywhere, and I enjoy more textures and flavors in my dessert rather than a whole bowl of the same thing. But I think this brulee is truly special! Tart and tangy with the sweetness of the brulee sugar — stunning.

Key-Lime-and-Regular-Creme-Brulee-367x550.jpgKey Lime and Regular Creme Brulee

Narcoossee’s then surprised us with a little “going-away” gift — Key Lime Cookies! These were received by everyone at the restaurant, and I think it’s a very special addition to the experience. It makes this restaurant stand out from many other signature locations in Disney World. (I love FREE!)

Key-Lime-Cookies-367x550.jpgKey Lime Cookies

Overall

Narcoossee’s is one of our favorites for its quiet, relaxed atmosphere, decent service, good food, and great view of the Magic Kingdom fireworks.

I think this is one of the restaurants that, in my humble opinion, takes good care of its guests. We have a hard time deciding between Narcoossee’s, Citricos (another one of our favorite “chill” restaurants), and California Grill (for its gorgeous view and classic food), so we don’t get to Narcoossee’s as much as we’d like. But it’s definitely an ideal option if you’re looking for a restaurant that steadily delivers quality food — not something that you can take for granted in Walt Disney World.

• 4 weeks later...