I hope someone can help me - New camper financial and logistics questions

I am blaming it on the baby - I just can't wrap my head around the immediate expenses and logistical requirements that will come with our new camper. We live in Connecticut and we are buying this new hybrid camper outright for $X from RV direct - they are based in NY. We are picking it up whenever they decide to finish it - hopefully before the 4th of July. Besides paying for the camper - I am having trouble figuring out what other expenses we will have and when we will have them - after picking it up. I know we will owe sales tax and we will have to pay to register the camper - but when does that ax fall? Do we need to bring temp plates with us? I know we need to insure the camper - Im not worried about that - one phone call and thats done. If anyone knows the answers to these questions - or where I can find the answers - I would be grateful for your advice. Not that anyone flames here - but please be gentle.

Don't know anything about temporary plates, but when we bought our camper in Tennessee, we pulled it home without plates. (Only about a two hour drive and we had all the purchase paperwork with us.)

Then a couple of days later, I took the camper down to the local DMV with all the purchase paperwork, and applied for tags. That is when I had to pay the Alabama sales tax on the camper. That first tag was expensive!!. They took my paperwork and my cash, then somebody walked out to the camper with me and verified the VIN and then I walked back in and got my tag.

I'm sure someone very familiar with how things work up East will chime in, but in Ohio the dealer collects the out of State sales/use tax when you pay for the TT. They also provide you with a 30 day tag that is accepted in any State until you get the necessary paperwork/title etc to register it in your home state.

Our son just bought a TT here and he lives in IL and that is how things were handled.

Have you checked on trying to register it in Maine?I have some friends that have done this with their farm trailers both stock & flatbeds and it is a 1 time non- expiring license plate, some said they were going to try it with their campers but I have not heard if they have yet or not. Just a thought.

I am blaming it on the baby - I just can't wrap my head around the immediate expenses and logistical requirements that will come with our new camper. We live in Connecticut and we are buying this new hybrid camper outright for $X from RV direct - they are based in NY. We are picking it up whenever they decide to finish it - hopefully before the 4th of July. Besides paying for the camper - I am having trouble figuring out what other expenses we will have and when we will have them - after picking it up. I know we will owe sales tax and we will have to pay to register the camper - but when does that ax fall? Do we need to bring temp plates with us? I know we need to insure the camper - Im not worried about that - one phone call and thats done. If anyone knows the answers to these questions - or where I can find the answers - I would be grateful for your advice. Not that anyone flames here - but please be gentle.

When we purchased our new camper this year in NY and towed it back to PA, the dealer issued us a NY state transit tag that went in the back window. As for sale tax, in PA that was paid when we applied for the the PA title and when we registered it in Pennsylvania.

Have you checked on trying to register it in Maine?I have some friends that have done this with their farm trailers both stock & flatbeds and it is a 1 time non- expiring license plate, some said they were going to try it with their campers but I have not heard if they have yet or not. Just a thought.

That was our plan to get around the high cost of MD tags and an inspection on our previous TT. It was suggested by our tag/title person and sounded like an awesome plan... until a friend tried it with his new rv, got turned down by Maine after sending in the paperwork, and ended up back at the dealer weeks later for MD tgas after all.

I don't know for a fact that it won't work on everything - friends have Maine tags for utility and car trailers so it must work for some things - but we were told Maine is getting more selective for RVs than they are for normal trailers so we didn't chance the delay...