Mini TR - Greater Gardner Relay for Life

Seeing how I recently figured out how to post photos here using an iPhone, I wanted to practice doing a TR based on our RfL event last night.

Our local troop of Boy Scouts joins with Troop 35 from the next town to do the Relay for Life. Seems they began this participation to honor a friend of the troop who was battling cancer in the mid to late 1990's. She lost that battle in 1997 and this troop continues every year for her and all the family and friends we know affected by some form of cancer. My family has been affected in many ways, with lots who fought and lost, are still fighting or fought and WON.

Some of you may have seen my live posts yesterday and today on FB, but it was a little wet and cold for me to post much.

Nancy, Matt and I arrived a little late with our daughter Rachel and two of her friends. Matt went to join the troop, Rachel and her friends went their own way, leaving Nancy & I to walk around and meet old friends.

517b03bd.jpg

The weather was a refreshing 80 degrees with dry air filled with the aroma of carnival food. We filled out some chances on fund raising raffles and met with the folks who organize the luminaries. The luminaries are white paper bags that get decorated in honor of survivors you know or in memory of those who passed. Matt and I worked on our collection including three sent in by coworkers of mine.

88683b95.jpg

66ea68fa.jpg

Then we set out to place the luminaries in their spots - alphabetical - along the track and light the candles before 9:00.

d4472fd2.jpg

OK, so the sun begins to set on the gathering of thousands, the aroma of grilled Braut's and burgers fills the air and they set the tone for the luminaries walk when everyone gets to see the entire inside perimeter of the quarter mile track lit by candle light. I did my best to grab some photos of them lit, but that is hard to do with a camera phone, only got one usable shot.

2e3ea836.jpg

I wish Justin had been there to see his little bro' setting this up, but their band was playing at a new local club and that is what I really want, to see him getting beyond the disease and being out on Friday nights. But I digress; on to the more exciting part of the evening - fresh coffee brewing in a percolator on the camp stove!

02cb94c3.jpg

Granted, it's not Kungaloosh, but the temperature was dropping, the air was getting damp, and the breeze was picking up. Before long, we were all wishing we had brought warmer gear and warmer sleeping bags. Most had just a fleece sleeping bag liner or blanket, figuring we were to be in warm temps all night. Before long, Matt had his down sleeping bag out and was out like a light on my chair!

471b020b.jpg

So I did what any good Dad would do and dumped him on the ground!

66e31f97.jpg

Actually, he discovered that sleeping off the ground on a cot or recliner in cold conditions can really sap the heat from under you. He got on the ground and was toasty warm until daylight while the rest of us continued the walk all night, fueled by Folgers in our cup!

Morning came, time for strawberry shortcake for breakfast, at one of the fundraising tables.

e7427f39.jpg

The troop did good all night, and hung in there despite temps in the low 50's with steady rain after 3:00am.

d51dddcd.jpg

This guy, another Matt, got soaked through while clocking 15 miles overnight, running the last 5 in order to keep warm. Hats off to this troop, great bunch of kids.

ad1cb6b6.jpg

Relay for Life, what a beautiful event motivated by love for others who are or have

fought the battle to beat cancer. May the LORD richly bless you and your family.

Thank you for sharing with us. BTW I love the BSA. :heart: