Do I Dare? A Non-Fort Report by a Lurker!

I will have to excuse her for her bad taste in football, but otherwise, great report!

Thanks! Coming from you, that's a great compliment!

Duh!

I am referring to where your group would make a photopass pose somewhere like on a bus, or somewhere else. I remember several photos from your prior reports where your girls were pretending to hold Tinkerbell in their hands on a bus, or some other such foolishness. Those were some funny photos!

I guess you don't have any of those for us this time.

But the Rhino photos make up for this lapse.

If you forget next time, I'm going to have to subtract points from your grade.

TCD

Wow - What kind of moron am I? Since we didn't do that on this trip, I completely forgot. Glad you reminded me, though - There's always next time!

Great start to your next report, BTW!

Oh, Leslie.

Leslie, Leslie, Leslie.

You were doing such a great job with this report. I was so enjoying reading about the awesome trip your families had. I was right there with you. I was feeling it!

And then, you blew it. Big time.

You allowed "her" to creep into your report.

What am I gonna do with you?? :rofl2:

Oh, what the heck. Just kidding. Loving the report!!

Another brain fart on my part. I actually thought of Cindy's evil ways when we met her (she tried to act nice, but I knew better), but I forgot by the time I posted the picture. I'm so not worthy.

(Props to you for another great TR! Hope to see pics of all those girls!)

Such a great trip and trip report! It' definitely a sad time when it's time to leave....

Love how you got so many great group photos. Were they taken with your camera, or are they photopass photos? We've never done photopass and always wonder if it's worth it or not. If those are photopass, then I'd have to seriously consider paying for photopass....

Thanks! The pictures are a combo of pictures - many were taken by me with my point and shoot, many others taken by either Danielle or Katherine, but many others were photopass. The ones that are in the more scenic locations are likely to be photopass. We use it every trip and I have always been glad I did. Get the pre-order price ($99) and give it a shot on your next trip!

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Leslie, you did such a great job capturing the fun loving nature of your family..... I absolutely loved every minute. :heart:

I do believe this is what made me want to keep coming in to read more on this trip report. Reading along it truly felt like a Magical Experience! :heart:

Your hubby's "rhino" picture cracked me up big time! :rofl2: Leslie, you did such a great job capturing the fun loving nature of your family..... I absolutely loved every minute. :heart:

Thanks, Kim! I'm always looking forward to another report by you, so it's always high praise from you!

I do believe this is what made me want to keep coming in to read more on this trip report. Reading along it truly felt like a Magical Experience! :heart:

Thanks so much! We really did have a magical time!

Wow! What a great trip we had this time. Amazingly, each trip is always great, but somehow this one seemed particularly awesome. Having close friends friends with us was great fun. Of course, now I can’t wait for our spring break trip back to FW with my girls’ grandparents (my dad and stepmom), a bunch of aunts and uncles, and if I’m counting right, up to 8 cousins, all staying in 1-2 campers and 1-2 cabins. Loads of fun!

Anyway, the big question I wanted to answer this trip was how BLT compared to FW, as we haven’t stayed anywhere other than a cabin for the past 4 trips. I may not have a real answer to that question, but here at least are some thoughts:

Things we love about BLT:

- I really, really loved being able to walk to the MK, although we hardly ever did it since the kids always wanted to ride the monorail.

- The kids especially loved the monorail (obviously).

- Getting to ride the monorail to Epcot is lots better than bussing it.

- The pools and restaurants are lots closer – always an easy walk.

- Loved Contempo Café and the Wave being so close.

- Really loved our view – it was just exactly the one I had hoped to get.

- A bedroom with a king size bed. :)

- 2 full bathrooms. Big deal there.

- Having all that room, plus a washer and dryer, was a real bonus. The W/D cut down on the amount of clothes we had to bring.

- Top of the World Lounge – just an awesome place to relax after hitting the parks hard each day.

Things we love about FW:

- Almost everything. Seriously.

- Love the boat to the MK – it’s just such a relaxing way to travel.

- Can’t beat Trail’s End.

- Looping. ‘Nuff said right there.

- Riding the golf cart anywhere and everywhere.

- Getting to eat meals outside – whether we’re at the cabin or the camper.

- Being much more in tune with nature. (Sounds totally hokey, but it’s true.

- Getting to drive (whether it be in a golf cart or a car) right up to the front door of home.

- Daily housekeeping at the cabin. We missed that a bunch at BLT.

- You never, ever, ever have to take an elevator.

And, here’s how the gang each rated the choices:

- Ray – Would definitely choose the cabins over a trip back to BLT, primarily if not exclusively due to the elevator issue. He absolutely hated having to wait on an elevator to go anywhere.

- Danielle – She likes both BLT and FW, but I think she would choose FW over BLT. If she could be in the CR tower, that may get her back, but not BLT.

- Jodi – She surprised me with what she said, as she does NOT read any Disney boards and this is what I have heard a bunch about BLT – she would choose FW over BLT, as she didn’t think that BLT felt like Disney. She felt like she was in a beach condo rather than at WDW.

- Me – It’s close, but I’d go with FW too. I just love the natural feel of FW, plus the friendliness of everyone there. Getting up in the morning and going for a run or a golf cart ride while it’s still quiet and calm; smelling the campers making breakfast; riding bikes all over; riding straight up to the front door of the camper at the end of a long day; hearing the birds, crickets, frogs while falling asleep and waking up. That’s not to say that I wouldn’t want to return to BLT, but I’m definitely looking forward to our return to FW.

A couple of notes about renting points:

- Renting points worked perfectly for us and I’d rent from this guy again in a heartbeat. Just definitely do your homework about who you rent from as it’s a big leap of faith. I’ll admit that I did breathe a big sigh of relief when we arrived and got confirmation that the reservation was there and paid for, just like it was supposed to be.

- One con about renting points is that you’re completely tied in to your dates if you rent points. We were faced with a changing school calendar after I had already paid over $1000, and I was afraid I might have to cancel the trip and not get that money back. Thankfully that didn’t happen, but it sure was a heart-stopping time while it was a possibility.

So, that’s it! Everyone would definitely return to FW next time, which is great since that’s exactly what we’re doing. We’re already planning our next trip. Hope to get to see some of you then!

Thanks for reading!

Leslie

Really enjoyed your trip report! I agree, BLT doesn't feel like Disney. Had breakfast (private D23 event) in December at Top of the World. It was nice. but I preferred the old TotW in the Contemporary. They had the most awesome breakfast there back in the 80s.

Leslie-

Thanks again for this awesome trip report.

I enjoyed reading your final thoughts.

I am surprised that everyone seems to favor FW over BLT.

But, that is awesome!

And, it's really awesome that your gang will be returning to the Fort next Spring!

With an even bigger group! ?

Girl, you crazy!

(I mean that in a good way).

So, I have a couple of loose ends for you to tie up:

1. Cough up the recipe for the Sausage Things.

and

2. How about you give us a very short description of how "renting points" works? I guess you negotiate a price with the DVC member, and then he makes your reservation, and you pay him. Is that how it works? I know that you can book BLT rooms directly with Disney, so I gather that there must be some cost savings related to renting points? If you don't mind saying, can you give us an idea of a ballpark cost per night to rent points? And, if you go this route, what about the Dining Plan and Magical Express- can you get that or not?

TCD

Okay, first things first, Sausage Things. This is a very complicated recipe that should only be used for very formal events. Either that, or it's the easiest thing ever to make and you should make them any time you'll have a big group to feed. You decide. (Hint - Jodi (12 years old) usually makes them for me, and has been doing so for about 3 years...)

Take a pound of sausage (the kind that comes in a tube), brown it up and then drain. Then, dump the sausage into a bowl on top of 8 ounces of cream cheese and stir it together until the cream cheese has melted into the sausage.

The only other ingredient is 4 tubes of pillsbury crescent rolls. Keep them all in the fridge until you're ready to use each one, as they get sticky if you take them out too early. Anyway, get a tube and separate the triangles out onto a cookie sheet. Then put a spoonful of the sausage mixture onto each triangle and fold the corners in. You can but don't have to cover up all the sausage stuff. It's fine if some still shows after folding.

Do that with all 4 tubes until you run out of sausage stuff. Then bake on a cookie sheet at 375 for anywhere from 11-15 minutes, depending on how your oven works. Take the out when the rolls are golden brown.

Tough stuff, huh?

Detail on the points process coming up next.

Okay, first things first, Sausage Things. This is a very complicated recipe that should only be used for very formal events. Either that, or it's the easiest thing ever to make and you should make them any time you'll have a big group to feed. You decide. (Hint - Jodi (12 years old) usually makes them for me, and has been doing so for about 3 years...)

Take a pound of sausage (the kind that comes in a tube), brown it up and then drain. Then, dump the sausage into a bowl on top of 8 ounces of cream cheese and stir it together until the cream cheese has melted into the sausage.

The only other ingredient is 4 tubes of pillsbury crescent rolls. Keep them all in the fridge until you're ready to use each one, as they get sticky if you take them out too early. Anyway, get a tube and separate the triangles out onto a cookie sheet. Then put a spoonful of the sausage mixture onto each triangle and fold the corners in. You can but don't have to cover up all the sausage stuff. It's fine if some still shows after folding.

Do that with all 4 tubes until you run out of sausage stuff. Then bake on a cookie sheet at 375 for anywhere from 11-15 minutes, depending on how your oven works. Take the out when the rolls are golden brown.

Tough stuff, huh?

That does sound yummy. I wonder if you could do a variation using taco meat and pepper jack cheese? I make a snack like that but it is deep fried and a pain to make. Baking them in the oven would simplify the process :banana:

Tough stuff, huh?

Thanks!

Those sound good!

And easy!

I might whip up a batch of these in the TCD toaster oven on our next Fort trip.

That does sound yummy. I wonder if you could do a variation using taco meat and pepper jack cheese? I make a snack like that but it is deep fried and a pain to make. Baking them in the oven would simplify the process :banana:

That sounds like a great idea!

And, I have a vague recollection of some type of corn-bread like variation of crescent rolls. Those would be good for a Mexican variation of the recipe.

TCD

Mmmmmm. Y'all are making me hungry with all this talk of variations of sausage things!

Anyway, here's the deal with renting DVC points, at least my experience with it: Through that other board (I got this lined up long before the flush), I found someone who had a very high post count, was very active on the boards, and owned at BLT. After our initial contact, I did a lot of research on him to make sure he was who he said he was, make sure he actually owned at BLT and talked to two different references who had rented from him in the past. I even did the same research on the reference people to make sure they were real people... Once I was satisfied (as satisfied as you can be when you're paying a stranger you met online for a product you won't receive till long after your last payment), I signed a contract with him and he booked the unit (using his DVC points) at BLT for us. I think I paid him 1/4 of the total price prior to booking, another 1/4 right after he sent me the confirmation of the booking, and the last 1/2 60 days prior to the trip. In giving me the confirmation from Disney of the reservation (which was in our name, not his), he also gave me a link that I could use to go check the reservation anytime I wanted to, which I did compulsively until the time for the trip came.

When we got there, the reservation was there in my name, with all 5 of us listed, just like it was supposed to be. Whew! It was a big relief, but it actually worked out exactly as it was supposed to.

The only reason I can think of to rent points like we did, rather than booking through Disney, is the cost. It was a ton cheaper than if we had booked direct. He rented his points to me for $10/point, which wound up being a total of $2050. I don’t remember the specifics, but I think the same room would have been around $3300 if I had booked direct with Disney. Even though I wanted to try somewhere different this time, I did check out the price of renting BLT through this guy as opposed to the price of a cabin plus golf cart, and I think I remember that renting BLT this way was even slightly less than FW.

Doing the stay this way, we got all the usual amenities that we would have normally had (the option for dining plan, Magical Express, etc.). The only thing we didn’t have was daily housekeeping, which was a slight bummer, but we just worked to not be complete pigs and it was alright. They came and took out the trash and changed the towels for us on the 4th day but that was it. But otherwise, it was just like staying in a regular Disney resort, booking through Disney, etc.

I would definitely book through this same guy again in a flash, and I’ll be glad to share his info with any of you if you want to give it a try. I’ll add the caveat, though, that I don’t think I’ll be renting again for reasons that have nothing to do with him. We booked this trip back in August. I knew that our school system had designated the Tuesday through Thursday after Memorial Day as makeup days at the time I booked it, but we’ve never had occasion to use make up days in the 9 years my girls have been in school there, so I didn’t worry about it. Well, of course, this was the year with all the snow. Ugh. They originally rescheduled two makeup days for the two days after Memorial Day, which obviously put a big crimp on our plans. The school system wound up changing around the makeup days so we were alright, but it was dicey for a while. Because of renting points, any money I had already paid would have been lost – no refunds at all. As best I can tell, that’s definitely the norm for these arrangements, so it wasn’t anything about this guy that was the problem, but life is sometimes too unpredictable to risk losing that much money. I think next time I’ll stick with booking through Disney due to their great cancellation clauses, but other than that one issue, I’d go with this guy again in a flash.

How’s that? Eyes glazed over yet??

If anyone wants the contact info for our DVC guy, let me know. I'm not sure how to use PMs on this board yet, but I'm sure I can figure it out if anyone wants it.