Vintage Walt Disney World: Pioneer Hall Debuts

From the Disney Parks blog...

Vintage Walt Disney World: Pioneer Hall Debuts

posted on June 16th, 2011 by Nate Rasmussen, Archivist, Marketing Resource Center

Since 1974, Walt Disney World Resort guests have been heading out to the settlement at Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground to join Claire de Lune, Johnny Ringo, Dolly Drew, Six Bits Slocum, Flora Long and Jim Handy for the Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue. This nightly western style vaudeville show is performed for guests while they enjoy delicious “vittles” like fried chicken, ribs, strawberry shortcake and cornbread.

This past Tuesday marked the Hoop-Dee-Doo’s 37th year. The first performance took place June 14, 1974, and it has run at Pioneer Hall ever since.

phd013933SMALL.jpg

Built with 1,283 hand-fitted pine logs from Montana and 70 tons of stone from North Carolina, this photograph of Pioneer Hall was taken in February 1974, when the building was almost near completion. Standing two stories high and modeled after buildings from the late 1800s, Pioneer Hall officially opened on April 1, 1974.

pdh283728SMALL.jpg

While it is estimated that more than 800 lbs of ribs are served every night at the Hoop-Dee-Doo, the only thing that concerns me is how quickly we can get to the strawberry shortcake finale. Yum!

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2011/06/vintage-walt-disney-world-pioneer-hall-debuts/

I agree with H. Love the old pics. And love those ribs!! 800 pounds a night?? They must not have estimated that based upon a night I've attended. Would have been a much higher number!

I'm with you brother man!

That's interesting, April 1st to June 14th. I knew that originally PH was used as a dining hall and community center before becoming a dedicated dinner show. Now I know how long it lived this former life, less than 2 months depending how long the upfit took.

1974 - An original version of "Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue" opens at Pioneer Hall, performed by the All-American Musical Comedy Workshop (a group of college students similar to the All American College Band concept). The success of this short run leads to the creation of a permanent show with professional performers opening on Sept. 5, 1974.