http://www.nbc-2.com...k-to-lovers-key

This is so close to my house we could camp once a month!

I hope it works out for you better than it did for us.

They had a public meeting here in my town a week ago about a proposal to add campsites to Honeymoon Island State Park, which is about six miles from where I live.

After camping in Grayton Beach State park, and having seen the camping set ups in some of the State campgrounds in the Keys and on the East coast of Florida, I thought this was a great idea.

I was amazed at the outcry.

There was all kinds of hyperbole about how campers would trash the park, and how their noisy generators would pollute the air and disturb wildlife. Obviously, none of these ding-dongs are campers.

You can read the whole sad story here: St. Pete Times Honeymoon Island Article

This issue is a politician's dream. They just have to speak out in opposition, and they come out looking like heroes.

In the meantime, the State stuggles to raise funds and balance its budget.

Stupid.

TCD

De Soto is usually booked. People want and use this facility. It is money to the state. Campers are generally respectful of wildlife. Sounds like a win win to me. I know the uber environmentalists will probally shut this down before it even gets off the ground. Right around election time no less.

In some ways I can see the objection. With the economy in the toilet, and so many businesses hurting, including state parks, many across the country have closed or started to change their rules to allow "fulltimers".

There are MANY, MANY upside down homes in Florida. Many of those same folks own an RV. Lots are giving up the home and keeping the RV to live in. Some of the fulltime campgrounds look pretty trashy!!

If they can stick to their guns and keep it for recreational visits only, then fine!

Lover's Key is right on the water and the demand would be high. I think the state would cap it out a 2 week max. The water aspect would keep in busy I feel certain. The people who like to use the atv and such have two options locally. One is the redneck yacht club and Peace River Campground. They have mudding and all that. I don't see them wanting to fool with this when they have a playground just for that. The snowbirds could be a problem, but the state would have to enforce the 2 week thing.

De Soto is usually booked. People want and use this facility. It is money to the state. Campers are generally respectful of wildlife. Sounds like a win win to me. I know the uber environmentalists will probally shut this down before it even gets off the ground. Right around election time no less.

Fort DeSoto here in my county is a perfect example of how a campground works fine in a park environment. I agree that it's a win-win, if it's operated correctly.

In some ways I can see the objection. With the economy in the toilet, and so many businesses hurting, including state parks, many across the country have closed or started to change their rules to allow "fulltimers".

There are MANY, MANY upside down homes in Florida. Many of those same folks own an RV. Lots are giving up the home and keeping the RV to live in. Some of the fulltime campgrounds look pretty trashy!!

If they can stick to their guns and keep it for recreational visits only, then fine!

Agreed.

There are a lot of these full-time "campgrounds" in the area. The owners of these "campgrounds" were the first to organize in opposition to the state proposal. I put the word campground in quotes because these places are more like parking lots for the snowbirds. Nobody actually camps in those places.

I agree with you that it would be important to have limits on how long folks can stay and what they can do in the campgrounds. The Florida State Park System already has those types of limits, and they seem to work fine.

Lover's Key is right on the water and the demand would be high. I think the state would cap it out a 2 week max. The water aspect would keep in busy I feel certain. The people who like to use the atv and such have two options locally. One is the redneck yacht club and Peace River Campground. They have mudding and all that. I don't see them wanting to fool with this when they have a playground just for that. The snowbirds could be a problem, but the state would have to enforce the 2 week thing.

Agreed about the two week limit.

That's how the State Park campgrounds currently operate, and it seems to work fine. It allows for recreational use, and the fulltimers go elsewhere.

TCD

Fort DeSoto here in my county is a perfect example of how a campground works fine in a park environment. I agree that it's a win-win, if it's operated correctly.

Agreed.

There are a lot of these full-time "campgrounds" in the area. The owners of these "campgrounds" were the first to organize in opposition to the state proposal. I put the word campground in quotes because these places are more like parking lots for the snowbirds. Nobody actually camps in those places.

I agree with you that it would be important to have limits on how long folks can stay and what they can do in the campgrounds. The Florida State Park System already has those types of limits, and they seem to work fine.

Agreed about the two week limit.

That's how the State Park campgrounds currently operate, and it seems to work fine. It allows for recreational use, and the fulltimers go elsewhere.

TCD

Fort Desoto is very nice but is a bit tight for larger rigs. Also, it isn't a state park, it's a county park so the State DEP doesn't get any of the funds that I know of. I think that's what has kept Ft. Desoto somewhat immune from the State's finance problems as of late.

Also even with the 14 day limit at State parks, it's still very difficult to get a campsite at most of them from October to May due to our northern visitors (note, I'm being kind). They sit up north and make their reservations up to a year in advance and completely plug up the system for the rest of us. They've got their camping calendars already laid out. 14 days at each park and after 30 days, they can return to the same park. I've talked to several of them over the years and they explained that that's the way they do it. The can rotate between a half dozen parks and spend the whole winter here. Darn shame that Florida residents have such a hard time getting a fall or winter campsite in our own state. Unfortunately, if you have a job, it's sometimes tough to plan a year in advance for a camping trip.

You're right also about the "Snowbird Parks". Some of the nicer ones have gone downhill over the years and have let people live in them.

As far as increasing the number of campsites in Florida, I'm all for it. Not too sure about letting some "for profit" private company run it though. Might not be so bad if the State makes them keep the rates at current levels. I would hate to see camping fees go to what some of the private parks currently charge. It's going to be interesting to see just what happens with this. Even so, it's still a long way out as campgrounds can't be built overnight. So, I think we are looking at several years before this comes to fruition, it at all, and by then I expect a whole new administration to be in Tallahassee.

Topsail Hill is a good example of a cg done right. As far as I can tell they don't have people staying too long. My biggest gripe about Florida is the lack of real (vs snowbird or prem) CG. We go to Disney in part because it is what we like(a wilderness feel, w/ beach) and it has full hookups.

Fort Desoto is very nice but is a bit tight for larger rigs. Also, it isn't a state park, it's a county park so the State DEP doesn't get any of the funds that I know of. I think that's what has kept Ft. Desoto somewhat immune from the State's finance problems as of late.

Also even with the 14 day limit at State parks, it's still very difficult to get a campsite at most of them from October to May due to our northern visitors (note, I'm being kind). They sit up north and make their reservations up to a year in advance and completely plug up the system for the rest of us. They've got their camping calendars already laid out. 14 days at each park and after 30 days, they can return to the same park. I've talked to several of them over the years and they explained that that's the way they do it. The can rotate between a half dozen parks and spend the whole winter here. Darn shame that Florida residents have such a hard time getting a fall or winter campsite in our own state. Unfortunately, if you have a job, it's sometimes tough to plan a year in advance for a camping trip.

You're right also about the "Snowbird Parks". Some of the nicer ones have gone downhill over the years and have let people live in them.

As far as increasing the number of campsites in Florida, I'm all for it. Not too sure about letting some "for profit" private company run it though. Might not be so bad if the State makes them keep the rates at current levels. I would hate to see camping fees go to what some of the private parks currently charge. It's going to be interesting to see just what happens with this. Even so, it's still a long way out as campgrounds can't be built overnight. So, I think we are looking at several years before this comes to fruition, it at all, and by then I expect a whole new administration to be in Tallahassee.

You are correct about Fort DeSoto. My point in mentioning it was that this is an example of how a public campground can be operated at a public park without interfering with the enjoyment of the park.

I also agree with you that the part of this plan about letting private companies build and operate the campgrounds is not such a great idea. I don't know why the state just couldn't quietly add the campsites to the parks, and not create this huge controversy. I guess they don't have the money to lay out to build the facilities.

Topsail Hill is a good example of a cg done right. As far as I can tell they don't have people staying too long. My biggest gripe about Florida is the lack of real (vs snowbird or prem) CG. We go to Disney in part because it is what we like(a wilderness feel, w/ beach) and it has full hookups.

I agree with you.

We really don't have too many choices of real campgrounds near us either. This Honeymoon Island idea would have been great for us.

TCD

• 4 weeks later...