Pictures of Native Snakes in Florida

Please print this page out to take with you and put in your RV. This will help you CORRECTLY identify the snakes in Florida you may encounter. Some of them are constrictors (non-poisonous) and some venomous (poisonous). This is the sheet that is used by the Rangers at Fort Wilderness and was given to us to give to you for informational purposes. Thanks to the Rangers for their help.

poisonoussnakesatfw001.jpg

This post has been promoted to an article

Last May I stayed in site 2007 alone in a tent. Shortly after arriving I was greeted by an approximately 4 ft long black snake. It had just come from the banks of the canal and slithered under a bush. I tried to get a picture but by the time I got my camera out it was completely hidden. I hadn't set up yet...not sure why I didn't ask to move. I took it as a garter snake and left it at that. I only saw it one other time. It was near the banks again. I thought it was wet because it was glossy looking. I'm wondering if it was that Indigo snake!? It was quite large and not scary, so maybe?

I will say that snakes, whether poisonous or not, can be delicious if prepared properly. That being said, I always kill a snake to make proper identification easier.

In all fairness to venomous snakes, they are as beneficial as nonvenomous snakes are. No snake hunts humans, no snake is a threat unless you are encroaching on it's territory. Snakes eat rodents and keep the population of said critters under control. To label a snake as good or bad based on whether or not it is venomous is unfair.

I just looked some info up on that snake and it eats rattlers! Swallows them whole! Crazy! I'd rather have an indigo any day!

psst, Indigos have been known to eat rattlers too you know...they are cousins to black racers

Black racers eat rattlers too?

Jim- touche! Doesn't change the fact that I am more afraid of the venomous ones though!

Don't get me wrong - they all creep me out.