Also check out Fretz RV in Souderton. It is a bit of a drive but a nice dealership.

We homeschool also and I would love to take those vacations wth no current end date like you ! Seriously, at some point I would love to just drive across the country , visit some distant friends , and maybe visit Disneyland which we have never done, and just stop along the way and teach the kids about all the different places along the way. I imagine I would learn quite a bit myself.

Hoping now to sound to dumb but how do you estimate stopping power ? Is there a rule of thumb or a formula I can use to estimate not only what I can tow but what would be safe? We do live in the mountains right now and now that you mentioned it I can see how scary it wouldbe traversing some of these with a TT. We do know we want and need a kitchen. We deal with serious food allergies so we cant just eat out. Kitchen will need to highly functioning. Bathrooms again are a big thing, and while its a want, I will say its need. Setup worries me in that I have no idea as of yet what that would entail for either a TT or a MH. I know I can do anything if I dedicate myself and think it will be worth it . But again on the time I am on my own , I am hoping for it to be as easy or simple as possible. Leveling for instance , is it something it takes 2 guys to do or can a woman do it? I guess I need to go check out some tutorials on youtube. ( They have everything on there!)

Never thought about the fact that a MH can tow a car. That would solve the needing to have a car issue. In my head I cant yet fathom how it will feel to tow a car on a MH versus a TT on a van. I would probaly know within seconds of doing so what felt right and what felt uncomfortable. The generator thing s something to take into account when pricing TT's out also. In a motor home do kids stay buckled in ? I didnt see seatbelts on the couches? ( I can hear some of you giggling at me now.:rofl2: )

If you truly want to take such a journey your RV choice is important... then again we are in a 40 yr old 27ft TT with no slides which sleeps 2 adults, 2 kids, 2 dogs. However we picked the TT long before we decided to hit the road. The road portion was just a natural progression for us. We bought the TT in order to deal with both food and skin allergies (son and DH are both allergic to scented laundry products. Son has to sleep in winter pi's every time we sleep at a hotel or end up in an urgent care center for hives)

As for estimating stopping power, I am sure there is a formula but I don't know what it is. Our TT's GVWR is around 6,300. Our truck can safely tow around 10,000. We factor in the 6,300 (regardless of if it's all being used), the weight of all oxygen breathers in the family, and a few hundred extra pounds for truck cargo. We have left ourselves over 2,500 lbs to spare give or take (estimated). However we are probably a bit over cautious for some.

I'm not trying to overwhelm you but here is our process, step by step, what we go through every week to set up for a TT -

backing up or pulling thru to your site

making sure you are close enough to all utilities (we had to rehitch at Ft Wilderness because we didn't check this)

leveling the trailer from side to side, if it doesn't have automatic levelers (I can't speak for the availability because our TT is so old and it wasn't available then)

putting chocks between the wheels

locking the chocks

then unhitching

unhitching - (for us)

turn off and remove sway bar (some hitches include sway but ours doesn't)

undo weight distribution bars

undo chains

put blocks down for tongue jack

lift coupler thingy

lower tongue jack to raise trailer

once tongue is above trailer ball - hubby pulls forward

level TT from front to back (our fridge requires this)

remove kids and dogs from truck

connect utilities (5 minute job)

replace any items that may have bounced out of place and other assorted misc chores

Yes, I have seen some motorhomes with seat belts on the couches. I am uneducated on any safety factors though. You'd need to research this matter. As we have been living on the road for 3 months I can certainly see the value of the motorhomes and even 5th wheels as a family vehicle but I wouldn't change our setup yet even with our decidedly limited space.

There are places you can rent RVs and that really might be a good way to figure out what you like.

I can't speak to the ease of towing a car instead of the home but it seems to be towing the car would be easier... someone here can probably answer that one.

Sorry I forgot to tell you about leveling.

Leveling side to side can be done buy the driver but you would have to get out, check the level indicator on the trailer, put down the blocks, if needed, then get back in, pull over the leveling blocks, get out check the level indicator and repeat until level. Or you can order a teenager to get out put down blocks ....

leveling front to back is all about lifting or lowering the tongue of the trailer - easy peasy

I know of many people who full time by themselves who do it all without a problem. You will have kids to help you as well.

Please don't get overwhelmed .... it's all in the research. We looked at hundreds of trailers at dealerships and RV shows before we found ours on craigslist. Yes, some things you will learn in a trial by fire sort of way but keep your sense of humor around. Honestly, the sense of humor is the most important thing you need for this process.

hope i haven't given you too much info... :unsure:

If you truly want to take such a journey your RV choice is important... then again we are in a 40 yr old 27ft TT with no slides which sleeps 2 adults, 2 kids, 2 dogs. However we picked the TT long before we decided to hit the road. The road portion was just a natural progression for us. We bought the TT in order to deal with both food and skin allergies (son and DH are both allergic to scented laundry products. Son has to sleep in winter pi's every time we sleep at a hotel or end up in an urgent care center for hives)

As for estimating stopping power, I am sure there is a formula but I don't know what it is. Our TT's GVWR is around 6,300. Our truck can safely tow around 10,000. We factor in the 6,300 (regardless of if it's all being used), the weight of all oxygen breathers in the family, and a few hundred extra pounds for truck cargo. We have left ourselves over 2,500 lbs to spare give or take (estimated). However we are probably a bit over cautious for some.

I'm not trying to overwhelm you but here is our process, step by step, what we go through every week to set up for a TT -

backing up or pulling thru to your site

making sure you are close enough to all utilities (we had to rehitch at Ft Wilderness because we didn't check this)

leveling the trailer from side to side, if it doesn't have automatic levelers (I can't speak for the availability because our TT is so old and it wasn't available then)

putting chocks between the wheels

locking the chocks

then unhitching

unhitching - (for us)

turn off and remove sway bar (some hitches include sway but ours doesn't)

undo weight distribution bars

undo chains

put blocks down for tongue jack

lift coupler thingy

lower tongue jack to raise trailer

once tongue is above trailer ball - hubby pulls forward

level TT from front to back (our fridge requires this)

remove kids and dogs from truck

connect utilities (5 minute job)

replace any items that may have bounced out of place and other assorted misc chores

Yes, I have seen some motorhomes with seat belts on the couches. I am uneducated on any safety factors though. You'd need to research this matter. As we have been living on the road for 3 months I can certainly see the value of the motorhomes and even 5th wheels as a family vehicle but I wouldn't change our setup yet even with our decidedly limited space.

There are places you can rent RVs and that really might be a good way to figure out what you like.

I can't speak to the ease of towing a car instead of the home but it seems to be towing the car would be easier... someone here can probably answer that one.

anyone here that can talk about setting up a motor home or a pop up?

Sorry I forgot to tell you about leveling.

Leveling side to side can be done buy the driver but you would have to get out, check the level indicator on the trailer, put down the blocks, if needed, then get back in, pull over the leveling blocks, get out check the level indicator and repeat until level. Or you can order a teenager to get out put down blocks ....

leveling front to back is all about lifting or lowering the tongue of the trailer - easy peasy

I know of many people who full time by themselves who do it all without a problem. You will have kids to help you as well.

Please don't get overwhelmed .... it's all in the research. We looked at hundreds of trailers at dealerships and RV shows before we found ours on craigslist. Yes, some things you will learn in a trial by fire sort of way but keep your sense of humor around. Honestly, the sense of humor is the most important thing you need for this process.

hope i haven't given you too much info... :unsure:

Heck no! No such thing as giving me to much info. I really really appreciate it! I am taking it all in . I am so sorry to hear about your son and husbands skin allergies. I know first hand how horrible it can be. We deal with the same thing with both food and skin allergies. I am dreading staying in a cabin and any hotels on the way down. We have a dog that does some scent work to locate some of the sources of danger which helps. But getting settled in a room can take a couple hours to make it safe. Its my biggest reason for wanting to do this so bad.

I dont think you are overcautious at all in regard to worrying about the stopping power/ability. I am the same way and being a mom driving that sucker with my kids I want to know what I am doing and what to expect. Thank you for bringing something really important to my attention. This will be a huge part of what I choose to go with.

Leveling sounds like a lot of work. It doesnt scare me away but it does sound a bit daunting. My teenager is a petite girly girl. I doubt she could lift a cinder block! lol I do have a big strapping brother and a husband that will be with me at times so I am sure I can get some sort of system down.

Thank you for taking the time to explain it step by step! It really helps to give me a clear picture of what to anticipate.

It sounds like a lot of fun what you guys are doing. Do you have a family travel blog or anything?

We got our pop up at Media Camping Center in Hatfield, but I knew exactly what model I wanted and all I needed was a good price, which I got. The most important thing is to do your research and shop around and look at prices so you can negotiate.

Best Regards,

Norm

Leveling is no big deal once you get used to it. I can usually just look at a site now and pick the right thickness of board. FYI, they make plastic leveling blocks that lock together like legos, are super light, and come in a tote bag.

I would say the biggest obstacles to overcome for a new camper owner are learning to drive safely, backing, and how to handle the rig if an emergency happens (ie blown tire, extreme sway, etc). All of these things are easily learned....nobody is born knowing how to tow and set up a rig.

With the cost of a TT and a new van, you're right in the ballpark for a slightly used type C. If you've never towed before, it can be intimidating until you get used to it. A type C, however, with the way they are made today, might just be your ticket. They aren't any harder to drive than a van and are considerably easier to back in to a site. Also, any of them between 25 and 30 ft. can go places my type A can't. With the floorplans now available you might find one that is just what you need.

As for pop-up's they are the easiest of all to tow. They are lighter and since they are lower profile, crosswinds and big trucks don't affect them like a larger TT. They too have some really nice floorplans now. I've gone the entire route - tent, popup, TT, Fifth Wheel, and now type A. I've gotta say I like my "A" best but I don't have any little chitlins running around. It's just right for me and the other half.

Setup on any of today's rv's is just a routine that you will have to get into. After a couple of times hooking, leveling, connecting utilities, unhooking, and towing it will become second nature.

If possible, take an experienced person with you when you go looking. They can point out some things through experience that you won't notice. They should also be able to help you size your rig based on what you might want to get. Remember the cardinal rule of purchasing and RV - Don't believe what the salesperson tells you. They are there to sell you a coach and aren't concerned about your happiness or safety. Those two are up to you.

Again - take someone experienced with you. It might save you some grief in the long run.

Good luck with your eventual purchase and I wish you many years of happy camping.

Thanks Sensi... I forgot to explain what leveling blocks were!!

I also agree with the advice to take an experienced person with you. It could eliminate a lot of heartache.

another suggestion for your skin allergies - Prior to the TT if we were driving to our destination, we have been known to take a sleeping bag for our son to sleep in on top of the bed. It gives another barrier between the skin and the allergy. However, it sounds as if your allergies are a bit worse than ours. The TT has really been a great way to control those allergic reactions.

Leveling Block

Here is the link to our travel blog. It is heavy on photos of scenery but light on photos of family. We don't post the kids photos online. It also follows our progress of cleaning the trailer and getting it ready to use.

Our Travel Blog