Well I have been admiring some of your rv's and trailers. I have been and even slept in one before. And I am seriously considering getting a travel trailer but I have no idea where to start.

The reason I am thinking of getting one is first off because I have children that have some certain needs , plus having a service dog .To me this is the best way to go versus staying in hotels. Plus while its more of a dream at this point , I do homeschool and would at one point love to take my kids all over the states to learn about the country. Maybe have a nice travel blog or something. ( between still renting and homeschooling we are pretty free to come and go)

While the latter is a bit off for now , we do travel a lot and this could be a huge relief for me. I say that of course not knowing all thats entailed in the upkeep of a travel trailer. So this bring me to you all in desperate need of a reality check.

Is what I want called a travel trailer ? I need something that sleeps 6 ( maybe 4 to 5 ). I dont want the one thats all one unit as I would be to scared to drive it. I am a nervous driver as is and would rather have something I tow. Not to big , not to small.

It would be me mostly doing the upkeep and driving not my husband because he will be doing a lot of travel all over the states for work. I just cant sit here and go stir crazy when I could be taking my family out to do and experience things. Seriously I would go crazy.

We have a regular old family van now but will be needing a new van soon anyway.

So here are my questions

1. What type of travel trailer would you recommend? Is a pop a more viable option ? ( If so can someone explain the real difference? Does it have a mini kitchen etc?)

2. What type of van would I have to get in order to properly pull a travel trailer that could hold 4 to 6 people? ( Is a family van capable? Not a truck girl , please tell me I dont "need" a truck. )

3. Is this something you all think I could do ? I dont want to count on the fact anyone will help me out with it , outside of regular mechanic stuff.

4. How expensive is upkeep and gas on something like this?

5. Anything else you can impart would be great! This is my very first query into something like this and I have no idea what to even start looking for.

Side Note: Can you guys give me a idea of prices on what ever your suggestions are, or tell me what to google specifically ? I am looking to get new ( wish I could do used) because of health reasons. I hate paying new sticker price but for reasons beyond my control thats the way we need to go.

Thank you in advance for any snippets of advice!

The very, very first thing you need to do is go to an RV show or RV dealer and just look around. See what floorplans may work for you.

Then, find the Gross Weight for whatever trailer you fall in love with (and decide you can afford). Not the dry weight, but the maximum weight it says on the sticker, which is dry weight, plus water, plus propane, plus maximum allowable cargo capacity.

THEN go look at vehicles that can tow that weight plus about 30%. The figure you need to look at on the vehicle is GCWR which is the total of the weight of the vehicle, plus what's in the vehicle (people and cargo), and the amount it can tow.

For example, lets say a vehicle has a 15K GCWR and the vehicle itself weighs 6K pounds, then you put 1000 lbs of people and stuff in it, that leaves you with a maximum of 8,000 lbs that can be towed. Plus most people recommend you bump that number down by 10% to 20% so a fully loaded trailer of about 6400 lbs is what is safe. (These are all theoretical numbers.)

Then once you go into sticker shock over what the new vehicle costs, then start over lighter.:parrot:

The trailer is not going to be the sticker shock as the economy is still in the toilet and the RV places are practically giving trailers away (as much as 30% off MSRP) even more on a unit that has been on the lot awhile.

Another thing, if you look at folding or hybrid type trailers, Don't just look at it opened up on the lot. Ask the dealer to show you how to pop it open, shut it down, etc, etc.

Then try and do it yourself. (On a hot day or in the rain!!)

That will help you decide if one of those trailers will fit your style.

Another thing, if you look at folding or hybrid type trailers, Don't just look at it opened up on the lot. Ask the dealer to show you how to pop it open, shut it down, etc, etc.

Then try and do it yourself. (On a hot day or in the rain!!)

That will help you decide if one of those trailers will fit your style.

Oh thank you so much ! Okay, I am taking it all in . I am going to go back over and read it again and make some notes. I did do some searching online and I do think some used units might be okay. I just gotta get one thats pretty clean with the health issues and all. But I was suprised that some of the newer used ones I saw didnt look to bad. Depending on the price differences it might be worth looking at.

But like you said maybe between the economy and maybe finding ones thats been sitting a bit , I might get lucky find a new one thats not to bad.

A lot sites I went to didnt list prices and I wanted to get the general scope of it all. So I went to Ebay just for pricing purposes ( dont think I would buy one off there though !) . I found some smaller new ones that were in my range and bigger older ones that were. So it will be a bit of a compromise. And of course Ebay is not the best place to look either , but at least I get some idea.

Thank you for all the info ! I will start working on the math and I guess looking at vans as well. Going to go online and see if we have any showplaces around here.

Our local dealer has many floorplans on their web site so this may help in the search. 6 or 7 different companies.

Colerain/MidWest RV

If something looks interesting call Amy at Mid-West RV 937 236 0200 she will glady answer any questions for you since she sells and ships nationwide. She also camps and will give you very honest answers.

Don't completely dump EBay. I sold RVs for 6yrs after I retired and we posted new and used units on EBay. Lot of times they were last year models; who cares they have full warranty and lower price.

Where are located? We could give you recomendations for eithe RV shows or delaers in your area, I do know there are some dealers who I would not want people to shop at due to some of their past records for sales or service.

First question -- can you back up a towed vehicle? I can't! Tried and tried with the boat and finally gave up. But I CAN handle the motorhome!

I was going to say that a LOT of people find it a LOT easier to drive and back a class C (or A) than towing and backing a TT. Backing a trailer into a camp site is NOT something you want to do without a fair amount of practice first ...

I take it that when you say a family van that you mean minivan. You will be limited to a popup at best with that type of tow vehicle. Some people do tow hybrids with them & say they tow well. However they are all well over the tow limit of the minivan which is usually a max of 3500lbs. Where you are traveling by yourself with kids my only real concern is this. By at least a hybrid or travel trailer & an adequate truck or full size van. That way you will have plenty of space & be completely self contained.

With hybrids some people complain about having to setup the bunks. Be sure to check out the Jayco htt's as they come with the canvas attached to the bunk & only take a minute to setup or close. I'm not sure if the Forest River Roo htt's have changed over to this method yet but Whip can maybe chime in here as she just got one. But that really saves time.

Don't buy anything until you have sat in at least a few different ones without a salesman over your shoulder. Take your time & explore every nook & cranny because storage & counter space are a premium. Take notes of pros & cons because it is very easy to get overwhelmed with all the details. This will sound stupid but I think most will agree where you've never had a camper. Sit on the toilet and make sure you have enough leg room for yourself. Some bathrooms are a but snug once your behind closed doors.

When we first bought our first TT 6 years ago we started with what vehicle we had (we weren't in the market for a new one) and started with what we could tow.

We then looked at floor plans - first online and then once we'd narrowed down what we THOUGHT would work for us, we started trolling RV shows and dealers to see them in person.

Don't underestimate storage space - inside and out - and space in general. A good test is to put everyone you'll be traveling in the unit you're looking at (dog included if you can) and try and imagine what it will be like if you all have to hang out in there on a rainy day. :)

Then open all the closets, drawers and cupboards and actually envision where you'll put all the stuff you're going to need and if the storage layout for that stuff will work for you. Sounds silly, but for example if you cook a lot, and the "kitchen" storage is insufficient or awkwardly placed, you're probably just going to end up annoyed. Same when it comes to where you'll put your clothes for the whole family. (oh yeah, and the dog toys LOL)

We ended up with a Kodiak 21' hybrid - queen bed ends, no slide out. DH and I slept on one side and we setup the 3 dog crates on the other.

We had all the comforts of home - full bath/kitchen - and plenty of storage for weekend camping. When we started spending 2 and then 3 weeks in it at the Fort we had to get a little creative when it came to storage, but it still worked out great for us for 5 years - and a total of 11 weeks at the Fort.

We traded up a year ago. We're getting lazy in our "old age" (LOL) and wanted something we could just park and be done. Setup on the hybrid wasn't a huge deal, but Carol is right - try it before you buy it!!

This time around we did the same thing - trolled RV shows and dealers and scoped out floorplans online. The difference this time around is that we knew we'd have to get a bigger vehicle to tow the hard side TTs we were looking at - so we did. And then started the process all over again - how much can we tow....

For us - especially with the dogs - the floorplan was key.

We now have a 33-ish foot Open Range 303BH and we LOVE it. We envision spending more and more time in this as time goes on and it's pretty much perfect for us.

Happy shopping!!!

Another suggestion is to rent before you buy. Make sure you are comfortable with the set up and design of a trailer. A class C might be a good choice for you. You did not elaborate on the special needs, but it would provide a bathroom. Also, you could bring a golf cart or ecv if needed. The dog might like it better as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Our local dealer has many floorplans on their web site so this may help in the search. 6 or 7 different companies.

Colerain/MidWest RV

If something looks interesting call Amy at Mid-West RV 937 236 0200 she will glady answer any questions for you since she sells and ships nationwide. She also camps and will give you very honest answers.

I have some quiet time and I am going to check this out. I had a quick glance the other day but with kids and animals feeling unwell couldnt really look. I have been looking for something that would show floorplans. Thanks!

Don't completely dump EBay. I sold RVs for 6yrs after I retired and we posted new and used units on EBay. Lot of times they were last year models; who cares they have full warranty and lower price.

True. I actually sold a car on Ebay and had no issues. I did actually see a few I liked on there. I will keep a open mind.

Where are located? We could give you recomendations for eithe RV shows or delaers in your area, I do know there are some dealers who I would not want people to shop at due to some of their past records for sales or service.

I am in NE PA . My husband said he passed a place the other day outside Allentown somewhere. If you know of anything events or showrooms I would love know. Thank you :)

First question -- can you back up a towed vehicle? I can't! Tried and tried with the boat and finally gave up. But I CAN handle the motorhome!

Hah! Thats the funny part, and a good point. I can barely back up a van. Only think I dont know about the motor home is what do you do when say you get settled in and need to go get groceries or want to hit the parks ( if staying at the fort) . I most likely wont have a additional driver bringing a car.

I was going to say that a LOT of people find it a LOT easier to drive and back a class C (or A) than towing and backing a TT. Backing a trailer into a camp site is NOT something you want to do without a fair amount of practice first ...

I will really need some practice for sure. The thought is pretty scary! lol

I take it that when you say a family van that you mean minivan. You will be limited to a popup at best with that type of tow vehicle. Some people do tow hybrids with them & say they tow well. However they are all well over the tow limit of the minivan which is usually a max of 3500lbs. Where you are traveling by yourself with kids my only real concern is this. By at least a hybrid or travel trailer & an adequate truck or full size van. That way you will have plenty of space & be completely self contained.

With hybrids some people complain about having to setup the bunks. Be sure to check out the Jayco htt's as they come with the canvas attached to the bunk & only take a minute to setup or close. I'm not sure if the Forest River Roo htt's have changed over to this method yet but Whip can maybe chime in here as she just got one. But that really saves time.

Don't buy anything until you have sat in at least a few different ones without a salesman over your shoulder. Take your time & explore every nook & cranny because storage & counter space are a premium. Take notes of pros & cons because it is very easy to get overwhelmed with all the details. This will sound stupid but I think most will agree where you've never had a camper. Sit on the toilet and make sure you have enough leg room for yourself. Some bathrooms are a but snug once your behind closed doors.

Yeah family van it is. I started the fun task of looking at full size vans that are not so church van looking. I noticed they have travel trailers that are "lighter" to tow than others. I guess I will get a good idea of what the lightest I can get away with will be that will still fit our needs size wise. Then start on the math for what type of van we can get away with. Good point on the storage. We are not pack light kind of people. Hybrids scare me being on my own. But if I could find one that wouldnt be to hard to set up as you mentioned, then I wouldnt rule it out. What you said is good advice. I need to just get down to a dealer and see how they set up and see if its doable for me.

And yes salesmen can drive you crazy. It makes it hard to buy anything with one looking over your shoulder. My husband does not think well under pressure . I will make sure once I narrow it down that I get a good few minutes to myself to check every detail. Lots of great tips (esp the toilet one! lol) . Thank you so much

When we first bought our first TT 6 years ago we started with what vehicle we had (we weren't in the market for a new one) and started with what we could tow.

We then looked at floor plans - first online and then once we'd narrowed down what we THOUGHT would work for us, we started trolling RV shows and dealers to see them in person.

Don't underestimate storage space - inside and out - and space in general. A good test is to put everyone you'll be traveling in the unit you're looking at (dog included if you can) and try and imagine what it will be like if you all have to hang out in there on a rainy day. :)

Then open all the closets, drawers and cupboards and actually envision where you'll put all the stuff you're going to need and if the storage layout for that stuff will work for you. Sounds silly, but for example if you cook a lot, and the "kitchen" storage is insufficient or awkwardly placed, you're probably just going to end up annoyed. Same when it comes to where you'll put your clothes for the whole family. (oh yeah, and the dog toys LOL)

We ended up with a Kodiak 21' hybrid - queen bed ends, no slide out. DH and I slept on one side and we setup the 3 dog crates on the other.

We had all the comforts of home - full bath/kitchen - and plenty of storage for weekend camping. When we started spending 2 and then 3 weeks in it at the Fort we had to get a little creative when it came to storage, but it still worked out great for us for 5 years - and a total of 11 weeks at the Fort.

We traded up a year ago. We're getting lazy in our "old age" (LOL) and wanted something we could just park and be done. Setup on the hybrid wasn't a huge deal, but Carol is right - try it before you buy it!!

This time around we did the same thing - trolled RV shows and dealers and scoped out floorplans online. The difference this time around is that we knew we'd have to get a bigger vehicle to tow the hard side TTs we were looking at - so we did. And then started the process all over again - how much can we tow....

For us - especially with the dogs - the floorplan was key.

We now have a 33-ish foot Open Range 303BH and we LOVE it. We envision spending more and more time in this as time goes on and it's pretty much perfect for us.

Happy shopping!!!

Well I had stars in my eyes looking at some of the units. lol Then I saw prices for what I "wanted" . Ouch. I am ok with starting out with smaller than what I "want" and will be happy just getting what I need for now. I see your point on spacing and layout. I am very very ocd about the way things flow. I would end up in a mental hospital over a bad layout ! lol I will pay close attention to how it feels and then factor in of course that everyone will choose to be in my way at the time I choose to cook or use the kitchen area. With a teenager I think something that will give her a sense of privacy and anything that has enough storage to keep me from feeling cluttered is the best bet. Do they come with snore proof walls ? Thats the room my husband would be in!

I would also say that a slide for the couch and dining table is a MUST have. You will soon appreciate that added room. If you are going to haul with a van, I would STRONGLY suggest a 350/3500 series van.

Being new I didnt know what you meant about a slide at first. When I looked at some of the links above I saw that its when the walls come out and it opens up the lving space. Duh! See how much of a expert I am! I really really want this. Looking at the types of vans you mentioned. Trying to find something that would work. Maybe if I modified one a bit it wouldnt be so church van feeling. Maybe I could take a few back rows out and use it as a great way to pack stuff in?

Another suggestion is to rent before you buy. Make sure you are comfortable with the set up and design of a trailer. A class C might be a good choice for you. You did not elaborate on the special needs, but it would provide a bathroom. Also, you could bring a golf cart or ecv if needed. The dog might like it better as well.

Let me get this straight... A class A is is the one I cant get till I am a milionare. Class B is more like a big van but much smaller interior than a TT but all in one so I can drive it easier. And a class C is like driving a semi truck but not as expensive as a class A

I was reading descriptions before and thinking a class B should be a C and a C a B since the B is the smallest right ? ( Ignore me if I make no sense)

I could totally drive a B a C makes me SCARED! But a B might be to smal for all 5 of us. But TT will be hard to back up. Its a hard thing to know I guess unless I get my butt down there to check them out. We figure after the holidays and using income tax we will be ready. I am going to make a trip down in Oct when we get back from our cabin stay in a couple weeks ( September) and then I will know more about what we are going with. And I will have lots of questions about things like holding tanks and all that fun stuff.

Thanks so much to you all for all the great advice!

Some random thoughts -

The best piece of advise we got before buying was "just because you can tow it doesn't mean you should." It's not the towing power that's important it's stopping power... particularly in the hills and mountains.

We are currently on an extended family trip, which has no end date, and are homeschooling. I would advise you to think very carefully about the type of trailer.

do you want to use campground bathroom facilities? I hate walking to the bathroom in the middle of the night.

eating out a lot gets expensive quickly with kids... how important is a full kitchen?

how much setup time do you want to spend?

motorhomes appear to have it easier since they only have to unhitch their toads (towed vehicles) and I am assuming you drive the toad to the motorhome and not back up the motorhome to the toad. They also can come with self leveling jacks -----

With two of us it still takes about 15 to 30 minutes (depending on campgrounds and how tired we are) to get through the unhitching, leveling the trailer, connecting the utilities, and unloading the dogs.

I don't think most TT come with generators... motorhomes usually do...

TCD would be a good person to ask about the popup since he has one.

We will be towing the TT we are picking up tomorrow with our 15 passenger van. It is a Chevy Express 3500 extended wheel base. We purposely didn't get white when we bought it so it didn't look like a church van. :rofl2:

I have looked at sooo many TT's now and in all kinds of weight classes. PM me if you want, with the weight you are thinking you need to stay under and the price range you want to stay in and I'll help you look. It's so much fun!

Some random thoughts -

The best piece of advise we got before buying was "just because you can tow it doesn't mean you should." It's not the towing power that's important it's stopping power... particularly in the hills and mountains.

We are currently on an extended family trip, which has no end date, and are homeschooling. I would advise you to think very carefully about the type of trailer.

do you want to use campground bathroom facilities? I hate walking to the bathroom in the middle of the night.

eating out a lot gets expensive quickly with kids... how important is a full kitchen?

how much setup time do you want to spend?

motorhomes appear to have it easier since they only have to unhitch their toads (towed vehicles) and I am assuming you drive the toad to the motorhome and not back up the motorhome to the toad. They also can come with self leveling jacks -----

With two of us it still takes about 15 to 30 minutes (depending on campgrounds and how tired we are) to get through the unhitching, leveling the trailer, connecting the utilities, and unloading the dogs.

I don't think most TT come with generators... motorhomes usually do...

TCD would be a good person to ask about the popup since he has one.

We homeschool also and I would love to take those vacations wth no current end date like you ! Seriously, at some point I would love to just drive across the country , visit some distant friends , and maybe visit Disneyland which we have never done, and just stop along the way and teach the kids about all the different places along the way. I imagine I would learn quite a bit myself.

Hoping now to sound to dumb but how do you estimate stopping power ? Is there a rule of thumb or a formula I can use to estimate not only what I can tow but what would be safe? We do live in the mountains right now and now that you mentioned it I can see how scary it wouldbe traversing some of these with a TT. We do know we want and need a kitchen. We deal with serious food allergies so we cant just eat out. Kitchen will need to highly functioning. Bathrooms again are a big thing, and while its a want, I will say its need. Setup worries me in that I have no idea as of yet what that would entail for either a TT or a MH. I know I can do anything if I dedicate myself and think it will be worth it . But again on the time I am on my own , I am hoping for it to be as easy or simple as possible. Leveling for instance , is it something it takes 2 guys to do or can a woman do it? I guess I need to go check out some tutorials on youtube. ( They have everything on there!)

Never thought about the fact that a MH can tow a car. That would solve the needing to have a car issue. In my head I cant yet fathom how it will feel to tow a car on a MH versus a TT on a van. I would probaly know within seconds of doing so what felt right and what felt uncomfortable. The generator thing s something to take into account when pricing TT's out also. In a motor home do kids stay buckled in ? I didnt see seatbelts on the couches? ( I can hear some of you giggling at me now.:rofl2: )

We will be towing the TT we are picking up tomorrow with our 15 passenger van. It is a Chevy Express 3500 extended wheel base. We purposely didn't get white when we bought it so it didn't look like a church van. :rofl2:

I have looked at sooo many TT's now and in all kinds of weight classes. PM me if you want, with the weight you are thinking you need to stay under and the price range you want to stay in and I'll help you look. It's so much fun!

Oh I would love to see pics ! Thank you so much for the help. I havent been sure where to start . Look at a TT first then the van or van then TT, or a motor home even ! As soon as I get it clear in my head I will post it or pm you and glady accept any help ! Excited for you! You guys are doing a cabin trip first still right?

Oh I would love to see pics ! Thank you so much for the help. I havent been sure where to start . Look at a TT first then the van or van then TT, or a motor home even ! As soon as I get it clear in my head I will post it or pm you and glady accept any help ! Excited for you! You guys are doing a cabin trip first still right?

I will look and see if I have van pics on my shutterfly account. I am glad we already had the van or we probably wouldn't have gotten a TT. Too much expense at once to buy both. We are still doing the cabin trip this Spet. DH wants to have time to learn the ins and out of towing it on a few shorter trips first. We have never towed anything besides an open trialer, and have never had any experience with leveling, hooking up and all that stuff. 3 weeks doesn't seem quite long enough to get familiar with it all. And, I need time to stock it up. :))

If you have time I would suggest going to the Hershey RV show in September, and leave the kids at home. They have every make and model, and you can walk around there until your head explodes. Here is a link for the dates. America's Largest RV Show We will be there Sunday.

Best Regards,

Norm

If you have time I would suggest going to the Hershey RV show in September, and leave the kids at home. They have every make and model, and you can walk around there until your head explodes. Here is a link for the dates. America's Largest RV Show We will be there Sunday.

Best Regards,

Norm

Ugh ! Wouldnt you know it . Its when I will be at Disney. I got all excited. :( I think this is the one I saw on HGTV a couple years back. Hersheys not to far either. Would have been perfect. Thanks for the link.

You live near one of the best places to look at RVs...and the show is coming up in September.

Check out "America's Largest RV Show" in Hershey, PA Click here

Ops didnt see you posted the link also. I am so bummed I will be at Disney during that time. ( NEVER thought I would ever hear myself say that! ) It looks like it would have perfect ! Thanks for the info.

I will look and see if I have van pics on my shutterfly account. I am glad we already had the van or we probably wouldn't have gotten a TT. Too much expense at once to buy both. We are still doing the cabin trip this Spet. DH wants to have time to learn the ins and out of towing it on a few shorter trips first. We have never towed anything besides an open trialer, and have never had any experience with leveling, hooking up and all that stuff. 3 weeks doesn't seem quite long enough to get familiar with it all. And, I need time to stock it up. :))

My husband has already run our family van down into the ground with all the travel he does for work. So a van is in the works soon anyway. I was thinking that for the price of a van and a TT I could get a motor home. But then I still wont have a van. I am making myself crazy here. So many things to factor in.

Smart husband you have. I dont blame him on that. LOVE the pics I saw of the TT you bought. Please me posted on how it all works out. You guys are going to have so much fun. Hope you are doing a TR.

Allentown has a smaller rv show usually around January at the fairgrounds. It will have units from about 8 - 10 local dealers. Some good local dealers to check out are Harolds RV in Bath and Tom Schaeffer's in Hamburg.

Allentown has a smaller rv show usually around January at the fairgrounds. It will have units from about 8 - 10 local dealers. Some good local dealers to check out are Harolds RV in Bath and Tom Schaeffer's in Hamburg.

January would be perfect since I will be ready to purchase in Feb. . Allentown is where I do all my shoping anyway so that would work out great. I will google the places you mentioned and see if they have a website I can check out. Thanks for the tips.