From the Disney Food Blog. Ok, we definitely need a first hand account of these. I know that meat on a stick is delicious... not so sure about dessert on a stick??

Snack Series: Walt Disney World Jumps on the Cake Pop Bandwagon

Aug 16th, 2011

by Erin. Disney Food for Families columnist Erin Foster takes an in-depth look at the trendy Cake Pop infiltration of Walt Disney World.

The new addition to the world of Mickey-shaped sweet treats is the cake pop. In case you’ve missed out on this relatively new foodie trend, cake pops are small treats composed of cake and frosting mashed up to form a sort of cake paste, then formed into a ball or circle, and served on a stick.

The cake is almost always dipped into a chocolate or candy coating and often amusingly decorated. You can find do-it-yourself cake pop recipes here.

IMG_2375-412x550.jpg

The sugar-coated cake pop.

Intro to Cake Pops in Disney World

On a recent trip to Walt Disney World, I found cake pops sold at the Magic Kingdom’s Main Street Confectionery, at Disney’s Hollywood Studios’ Sweet Spells, and at Downtown Disney’s Goofy’s Candy Company and Candy Cauldron.

The pops come in four possible cake flavors: chocolate, vanilla, marble, and red velvet. The candy coating is milk chocolate with either white chocolate drizzle or a dusting of sprinkles; or white chocolate coated with sanding sugar.

During my week-long trip, I saw the sugar coating in red, blue, pink, purple, orange, and teal, but not every color was at every location. It seemed to be luck of the draw as to which colors and which cake flavors were in each store at any given time.

IMG_3123-412x550.jpg

A bounty of cake pops for sale at the Confectionery.

Cake Pop Assembly in Magic Kingdom

I was able to watch the pops being assembled at the Confectionery. The process is quite labor intensive.

The cast member starts with a two-inch disk of cake/frosting base and inserts a stick.

IMG_2716-500x375.jpg

Cake disks in their pre-adorned state. Then individual marshmallows are snipped in half. The half marshmallows are attached to the cake disk, then the proto-pops are individually dipped into melted chocolate.

IMG_2369-500x375.jpg

Cake disks and marshmallows - the building blocks of the cake pop. A cast member then snips whole marshmallows in half with scissors. See the little pile of cut marshies?

IMG_6615-500x375.jpg

The ears are then glued on with melted chocolate or candy.

IMG_2714-500x375.jpgIndividual pops are dipped into coating.

The colored pops are then placed into a dish of sugar and coated with that as well. The care and attention that each pop got was extraordinary.

IMG_2717-500x375.jpg

It's a time consuming process. IMG_2372-412x550.jpgA finished chocolate pop.

Cake Pop Review

Given all the love that goes into the pops, I’d really like to say that I was head-over-heels for them; but I just didn’t enjoy them as much as I wanted to.

I am extremely fond of desserts of all shapes and sizes, but the cake pops were too much for me. I never really understood the phrase “too sweet” until I bit into one of the colored cake pops. It’s sugar, enrobed in sugar, coated with sugar. I had the red velvet, but I couldn’t make out any particular flavor other than general creamy sweetness.

IMG_2378-500x375.jpg

Breaking off the ear. My other issue with the cake pops is texture. The cake part itself is so soft that it ends up sticking to the roof of your mouth like peanut butter. It simply doesn’t feel like you’re having cake, instead it’s more like a wad of raw cookie dough covered with a bunch of extra sweet.

IMG_2380-500x375.jpg

The inside of a red velvet pop. The chocolate pops worked out a bit better for me. There was a mellow milk chocolate flavor that reminded me somewhat of Disney fudge, but again, the sticky mouth-feel seemed “off” to me.

The finished product is fairly small, about the size of my palm and an inch thick, but there’s no way I could have finished one by myself.

IMG_2389-500x375.jpg

Inside a chocolate pop. Overall, if you like eating spreads from a spoon (peanut butter, Nutella, marshmallow fluff), and you have a friend to share your pop with, then by all means dig in.

Read all of Erin Foster’s articles for Disney Food Blog in her Disney Food for Families Column!

I agree with the blogger -- I want to love cake pops, too, since they're all the craze...but I think they're more eye candy than mouth party. (At least for me.)

The author/inventor (?) of cake pops has some Mickey/Minnie and Pooh directions on her site:

http://www.bakerella.com/you-asked/ for Mickey/Minnie

http://www.bakerella.com/winnie-the-pooh-and-hunny-too/for Pooh

They're pretty cute.

Only had cake pops once, and with me, it's a textural thing... they're not cakey at all. Call them something else and perhaps I wouldn't have that issue....lol....

I think we are in agreement on that one, when I think cake, my pallet is expecting something VERY different than these things.. same thing with a cake ball.. just doesnt do it for me :P