kids going to pool without parents

If they are both good swimmers, and the 16-year-old is very responsible, and they stick together at all times, then I would say it's probably ok.  But, if you think the 16-year-old may abandon the younger one to talk to kids his/her own age, or be watching the boys (or girls) instead, then you might want to re-think it.  :tool:

With just being at a regular campground and seeing some of the stuff that goes on I don't think I will let any of my lil ones go to the pool alone until they are 22! LOL  This past summer I seen people drop their kids off and they didnt look over the age of 10! I have even seen parents put their small children in the pool with a floaty and walk away and get their tan. Oh and lets not mention the mild pictures of kitties going on with some of the teenagers. Darryl and I feel that going to the pool is a family thing, we play games and have races and have a great time!!

100% Completely agree with your statment, I could not forgive myself if something went wrong and I wasnt there.. just don't even want to go down that road, a trip to Disney and the Fort SHOULD be about spending time as a family, they aren't young forever, I personally am sucking the short time where they still think I'm cool for all I can.. and when mom does need a break, that's when we bring in grandma and sneak off for a weekend of "adult" time..  :dance:

• 3 weeks later...

As a swim coach and someone who has been around the pool all of his life, I would agree with most posters.  Do not let a child go to the pool by themselves.  Always go in pairs or a bigger group.  A buddy system is great.

It is very hard for me to go to pools and just relax.  I am always looking around and about to yell at kids for doing stupid things, but I then remember it is not my job.  However, I will not hesitate to let a lifeguard know about it.  I have seen to many bad things happen at pools and beaches that letting your guard down for 1 second could mean life or death.

A few questions you have to ask yourself.

Would you let them go to the local park together? 

Would you let them go to the mall together? 

How good of swimmers are they?

There are probably others, but if you answer "no" to any of the first two, then the answer should be "no" about going to the pool.

jon

As a swim coach and someone who has been around the pool all of his life, I would agree with most posters.  Do not let a child go to the pool by themselves.  Always go in pairs or a bigger group.  A buddy system is great.

It is very hard for me to go to pools and just relax.  I am always looking around and about to yell at kids for doing stupid things, but I then remember it is not my job.  However, I will not hesitate to let a lifeguard know about it.  I have seen to many bad things happen at pools and beaches that letting your guard down for 1 second could mean life or death.

A few questions you have to ask yourself.

Would you let them go to the local park together? 

Would you let them go to the mall together? 

How good of swimmers are they?

There are probably others, but if you answer "no" to any of the first two, then the answer should be "no" about going to the pool.

jon

Well said!!  :D

I was in a slightly different situation. When my son was 11 he had a grand mal seizure in our backyard swimming pool. There is nothing worse than holding your baby above water while you wait for EMS. He was diagnosed with Absence Seizure Disorder. He would just blank out and be zombie-like. Needless to say he never went anywhere without an adult.

Thankfully this type of disorder is controlled with medication and also something that they outgrow. I did however become an overprotective mother and his younger sister made herself his self-appointed guardian.

What I am trying to say is you never know when something can happen and I thank God everyday that I was right there when my boy needed me.

I don't have kids, but we did have a pool at our first home.  I had two rules (1) Bring your own towels. (2) Bring your own parents.  If you didn't have both, you didn't go swimming.

I have this unfounded fear of drowning - either myself or others.  I say no one should go swimming alone, be it in a pool, lake, river, or stream.  We lost a friend who was home alone & swimming in his own pool. He suffered a heart attack while swimmng.  It wasn't the heart attack that killed him.  He drowned.  :kickinass:

I don't have kids, but we did have a pool at our first home.  I had two rules (1) Bring your own towels. (2) Bring your own parents.  If you didn't have both, you didn't go swimming.

I have this unfounded fear of drowning - either myself or others.  I say no one should go swimming alone, be it in a pool, lake, river, or stream.  We lost a friend who was home alone & swimming in his own pool. He suffered a heart attack while swimmng.  It wasn't the heart attack that killed him.  He drowned.  :kickinass:

You are absolutely right Deb, and when it's kids you just up the ante.

Agreed, I grew up swimming, lifeguarding, and still have lifeguard certification through BSA and rarely go swimming anymore. I've found I can't turn "off" being on lifeguard duty with other folks around and it's no fun.

For sure, buddy system is the only way to go!!!!