From the Disney Food Blog...

Snack Series: Jalapeno Cheese Pretzel Review and Some Pretzel Updates

Sep 26th, 2011 by AJ.

Well, it was a pretzel kind of day on Friday in the Magic Kingdom and Epcot!

I sampled the famed Jalapeno Cheese Pretzel — now found at Fife and Drum — for the very first time, found out some details about the Sweet Cream Cheese pretzel in the Magic Kingdom, and learned more about the new (to WDW) Mickey-shaped pretzels!

Fife-and-Drum-364x525.jpg

Fife and Drum

Epcot’s Fife and Drum Offers Jalapeno Cheese, and Sweet Cream Cheese Pretzels

That’s right! We though they could only be found in one place in the parks (Animal Kingdom for the Jalapeno pretzel; Magic Kingdom for the Sweet Cream Cheese pretzel), but they can both be found in Epcot these days!

Epcot’s Fife and Drum, right outside of the American Adventure building, is the unassuming home for these very popular and sought after snacks! This spot is next to the near the Liberty Inn, so find a seat at the outdoor seating area there!

Fife-and-Drum-Menu-400x525.jpg

Fife and Drum Menu - click image for larger version

I had the chance to try the Jalapeno Cheese pretzel for the first time on Saturday! These snazzy snacks ($4.29) offer a spicy twist to a theme park staple!

Jalapeno-Cheese-Pretzel-500x440.jpg

Jalapeno Cheese Pretzel

The spicy kick is relatively mild, but still discernible. This is a good snack for those who aren’t necessarily “heat-eaters,” but who don’t mind a somewhat different savory flavor from time to time.

Jalapeno-Cheese-Pretzel-inside-500x333.jpg

Jalapeno Cheese Pretzel inside

Personally, I really enjoyed this one! I had a hard time not eating the whole thing!!

Jalapeno-Cheese-Pretzel-inside-2-500x333.jpg

Jalapeno Cheese Pretzel inside - close-up

Magic Kingdom Lunching Pad Under Refurbishment; Cool Ship Selling Sweet Cream Cheese Pretzel

While Lunching Pad in the Magic Kingdom is closed for refurbishment (was slated to re-open September 16th), cream cheese pretzel fans can walk their cravings over to the Cool Ship.

Lunching-Pad-500x333.jpg

Lunching Pad

Lunching-Pad-Sign-393x525.jpg

Lunching Pad Sign

It’s just across the way in Tomorrowland. See an in-depth review of this snack here. It’s got a tangy and not overly sweet flavor!

Cool-Ship-500x339.jpg

Cool Ship

Cool-Ship-Menu-500x333.jpg

Cool Ship Menu - click image for larger version

Mickey Pretzels Are Here to Stay…We Hope

Mickey Pretzels ARE in the Magic Kingdom at Frontierland (though we’d heard rumors that they weren’t around any longer).

Mickey-Pretzel-Cart-467x525.jpg

Mickey Pretzel Cart

We were told that they’re a permanent fixture as long as they keep selling, but readers have reported NOT seeing them from time to time over the past month.

Mickey-Pretzel-Menu-350x525.jpg

Mickey Pretzel Menu -- click image for larger version

When available, the Mickey pretzels sell for $4.50. Don’t forget your plastic cheese!

Mickey-Pretzel-500x490.jpg

Mickey Pretzel

Whew!! That’s a lot of pretzel news! If you hear any details or updates, please let us know.

Kind of a slight thread drift, but this past Christmas one of the family gifts was a big kit to make Auntie Anne's pretzels (like at the mall). We finally got around to making the first batch a couple weeks ago. They were absolutely AMAZING. I think you can get the kit at the mall or BJs or someplace, and they're so much fun to make. Delicious! I didn't think to make a Mickey-shaped one, though.

Kind of a slight thread drift, but this past Christmas one of the family gifts was a big kit to make Auntie Anne's pretzels (like at the mall). We finally got around to making the first batch a couple weeks ago. They were absolutely AMAZING. I think you can get the kit at the mall or BJs or someplace, and they're so much fun to make. Delicious! I didn't think to make a Mickey-shaped one, though.

It's Not Cindy and I used to make our own pretzels years ago, when we still lived in Buffalo. It was a great winter activity, and they were SO good! But man, what a process. We talked about doing it again this coming winter though. Would be fun.

It's Not Cindy and I used to make our own pretzels years ago, when we still lived in Buffalo. It was a great winter activity, and they were SO good! But man, what a process. We talked about doing it again this coming winter though. Would be fun.

I tried when the kids were little and I was teaching them their letters -- they spelled their names with pretzel dough, etc. The pretzels came out AWFUL, though. Hard as bricks! Did you use food-grade lye? I've heard that's a secret to pretzel success.

I was on a bagel-making kick for a while, and that was quite a process, too. (Although those came out delicious.)

I tried when the kids were little and I was teaching them their letters -- they spelled their names with pretzel dough, etc. The pretzels came out AWFUL, though. Hard as bricks! Did you use food-grade lye? I've heard that's a secret to pretzel success.

I was on a bagel-making kick for a while, and that was quite a process, too. (Although those came out delicious.)

No, I don't recall using lye. It was a similar process to making bagels. I remember letting them rise, then boiling and baking them. And I remember they were awesome, especially with my wife's homemade honey mustard!