If you're ever in the Orlando area and need a break from the hustle and bustle, Crystal River is 87 miles away. I am lucky enough to be 20 miles from the gulf and King's Bay, best known for the manatees.

Last year we purchased a boat and had the pleasure of spending many relaxing days taking in the sights. Now, I've lived here for 28 years and have seen many manatees in captivity, but to see them in their own environment was something entirely different. I highly recommend taking a day and either renting a boat or taking a designated tour. They really are gentle giants. :heart:

Here is an article done a couple of years ago in the New York Times

http://travel.nytime...?pagewanted=all

Here are a couple of my own pictures from the area:

crystalriver4th2011033-1.jpg

crystalriver4th2011063.jpg

crystalriver4th2011087.jpg

Manatees in front of the boat

crystalriver4th2011097.jpg

crystalriver4th2011099.jpg

And this baby swam right up to my son.

crystalriver4th2011108.jpg

crystalriver4th2011109.jpg

We got to Crystal Isles. The sites seem tight, but most fit a MH and a boat. It isn't bad if you don't go on major weekends. They also have boats for rent. They are on a canal that you have to take to get to the river. I think that is the only CG on the river. There are 2 on the Homosassa River.

What campground do you recommend near the river for a big rig?

I've been there, but not to camp.

We got to Crystal Isles. The sites seem tight, but most fit a MH and a boat. It isn't bad if you don't go on major weekends. They also have boats for rent. They are on a canal that you have to take to get to the river. I think that is the only CG on the river. There are 2 on the Homosassa River.

We also stayed at Crystal Isles. DO NOT go on a holiday. The campground itself is decent and is in a great location, with their own boat ramp, and even canal sites that have your own private docks. The holiday weekends bring in a "different" crowd. Parties galore!

We rented a canoe at Salt Spring about 90 miles north in Feb 2010 and this fella swam up along side with his buddies to check things out. Afterwards we asked a ranger near the launch about the group. The winter had been extremely cold so the group stayed near the fresh spring about a month longer than usual. One of the group had a bouy attached. Seaworld had come and taken her away a month earlier and nursed her back from a boat collision. It was a shame to see all 9 had injuries on their back from propellers.

IMG_0028.JPG

We rented a canoe at Salt Spring about 90 miles north in Feb 2010 and this fella swam up along side with his buddies to check things out. Afterwards we asked a ranger near the launch about the group. The winter had been extremely cold so the group stayed near the fresh spring about a month longer than usual. One of the group had a bouy attached. Seaworld had come and taken her away a month earlier and nursed her back from a boat collision. It was a shame to see all 9 had injuries on their back from propellers.

IMG_0028.JPG

:heart: Love this!! There is something so magical about them coming right up to you like this. It gives a whole new appreciation to the people that work so hard to protect them.