Defective FF sign, lessons learned and beautiful lights

Sorry its taking me so long to put this trip report together, but I will eventually get it finished.

I will probably have some of my days and events mixed up, so I will apologize in advance. Our first few days were just the two of us (no kids or grandkids) and we had a blast. On Monday we jumped on the bus and went to Animal Kingdom. We rode everything we wanted to ride...twice.. and finished up in an hour and a half. Went back to the campground and went looping looking for Dave the Castle Guy. I couldn't remember when he was supposed to check in and I was not able to go online with my laptop. I was pretty much in a panic being that disconnected from the outside world until we remembered that you could go online with the i phone. We were able to take care of some business and then I could check the Fort Fiends site. Thats when I found out the official sign was supposed to have special powers. ( Jen, thank you for telling me where to pick up my sign and other goodies.) We went over to the 100 loop to Judy's (Fiesty) site to pick up my sign post and other goodies I had won in the raffles. Everything was great, but the sign post is AWESOME! It even has a solar powered light on the top...which came in very handy since I broke my Mickey Lamp post. We had a relaxing afternoon looping around and enjoying the Christmas displays. That night we had reservations for the Hoop de Doo Revue. The food and the show was as good as usual....the guy who plays 6 bits was a different performer than the one we had seen in the past.

One thing we noticed...there were several very blatant advertisements for outside golf carts and camper rentals. Someone came in with their camper...advertisements for their golf carts on the side of it, followed by a car towing a golf cart...both painted with the advertisements for their golf cart rental company. I'm not against people advertising their business, but I know the companies that have been renting at the fort for a long time are trying to keep a low profile and not ruffle any feathers. Anyway, I don't want to go off in another direction, just wanted to share.

Tuesday the cold front started coming in with alittle rain. We decided to go to Epcot and eat and drink our way around the world...our favorite activity. We got there around ten and rode Soarin and Test Track, picked up a fast pass for Soarin and hit the world showcase. We ate and drank until we were sick, actually watched and enjoyed some of the shows (we usually skip these) and rode Soarin about 2:30 and headed back to the Fort. We usually cook outside and this night was no different. We had to use matches (this is where the next lesson comes in) to light our coleman stove (couldn't find the lighter), enjoyed dinner and went to bed. The next morning we went outside to cook breakfast , but we had left our matches outside and now they were wet. The only box we had! So off we go the the Trading Post and we found some matches....remember that old saying "If you have to ask how much something costs, you probably can't afford it." They weren't marked, but how much could they be???? I bought a 3 pack of Kitchen matches at the grocery store for $2.67.......one box of kitchen matches at the trading post were $4.15!! LESSON LEARNED...bring plenty of matches and don't be careless with them.

to be continued...

???

Didn't I see a lessons learned TR on here before?

That's weird...

Maybe I started a new trend!

Either way I'm ready to read on and learn more myself!

Can never be too many trip reports!

I loved the "lessons learned" so much that I decided to use it too. And, we have learned many things.

I loved the "lessons learned" so much that I decided to use it too. And, we have learned many things.

There are always a ton of lessons to be learned at the Fort...especially for me!!! I love learning from other people's mistakes too!

We usually cook outside and this night was no different. We had to use matches (this is where the next lesson comes in) to light our coleman stove (couldn't find the lighter), enjoyed dinner and went to bed. The next morning we went outside to cook breakfast , but we had left our matches outside and now they were wet. The only box we had! So off we go the the Trading Post and we found some matches....remember that old saying "If you have to ask how much something costs, you probably can't afford it." They weren't marked, but how much could they be? ??? I bought a 3 pack of Kitchen matches at the grocery store for $2.67.......one box of kitchen matches at the trading post were $4.15!! LESSON LEARNED...bring plenty of matches and don't be careless with them.

to be continued...

They might not work as well, but when I was there in March my lighter broke and I couldn't find my extra one. I went to the trading post and asked for a lighter, the CM gave me 3 unmarked books of matches for FREE! I was lucky I guess!

Everythings settled down...for now anyway.

Wednesday, we looped around and finally found Dave the Castle Guy. His display is unbelievable! If you ever get a chance to come when he's here, make sure you see his display. If not, look at it on You Tube...but real life is the best. The kids and grandkids arrived today and we had tickets for Mickeys Christmas Party. We had a great time, no wait on any ride and the light show on the castle was fantastic. But you know, Louis and I aren't that young anymore and the late night kicked our butts. The next day, we sent the kids to the parks (they were in Commando mode) and we enjoyed a very quiet, pleasant day at Fort Wilderness....just the two of us and our golf cart.

I can't even begin describing the work and creativity that goes into alot these Christmas displays at the Fort. I would advise everyone to try to plan at least one of their trips during December just to see the displays at Fort Wilderness. Just keeping the lights going must be a full time job. In case you can't tell, Christmas is my favorite time of the year.