From My Fox Orlando...

Dog abandoned near Disney's Animal Kingdom

TEASE_1__DISNEY_DOG.transfe_20111227170035_320_240.JPG

The playful and friendly pit bull-shepherd mix was abandoned on Disney property. The 1-year-old female was found near the Disney Animal Kingdom Lodge sometime Christmas Eve.

Updated: Tuesday, 27 Dec 2011, 5:30 PM EST

Published : Tuesday, 27 Dec 2011, 5:30 PM EST

ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. (WOFL FOX 35) - Walt Disney World is known as a place were dreams come true and apparently that's true even for dogs. We're not talking about Pluto, rather, one lucky stray found abandoned near Disney's Animal Kingdom.

The playful and friendly pit bull-shepherd mix was abandoned on Disney property. The 1-year-old female was found near the Disney Animal Kingdom Lodge sometime Christmas Eve.

"It was found in Disney, outside the resort, near the resort area. That's what we've been able to confirm so far," said Laurie Sullivan from Another Chance Rescue of Central Florida.

Sullivan was contacted by a cast member about the dog because they rescue pit bulls. She got in contact with veterinarians at animal kingdom's animal rescue shelter where the dog was taken.

On Tuesday Disney took the dog to Orange County Animal Services where the rescue group can place a hold on the dog. "Our goal is the dog comes in, gets evaluated, then within a couple of days be able to pull the dog into our rescue to find a forever home," said Katherine Kennedy from Orange County Animal Services.

They've even given her a name: Minnie.

Sullivan they'll keep the dog while they look for a permanent home if someone doesn't claim or adopt her first. Dogs are kept a minimum of three days. "We do have to hold the dog in case we're able to find an owner, or any signs of ownership, if we're able to discover a microchip…we have to give the owner some time to reclaim the dog."

But Sullivan is just happy Minnie will be saved. "Miracles happen at Disney, so we're hoping that Minnie does find her forever home, which would be a Disney miracle for the New Year."

A spokesperson for Walt Disney World says the shelter at Animal Kingdom offers care and temporary housing for hundreds of animals from birds to turtles and cats and dogs. Minnie is the sixth dog they've rescued this year at Disney.

Read more: http://www.myfoxorlando.com/dpp/news/local/122711-dog-abandoned-near-disneys-animal-kingdom#ixzz1hqJzqNhJ

If she really was abandoned (vs getting lost from somewhere) it's very likely she was dumped on Disney property on purpose, figuring someone would pick her up.

Hopefully her family finds her. Even in a good shelter/rescue, bully breed dogs (even mixes) don't usually have a lot of people clamoring to adopt them.

If she's just lost, I hope her family finds her. If she was dumped, I put a curse on those humans and pray with extra pixie dust for a good home for Minnie!

I'm glad to see Disney doing this for the dog. Reminds me of how Walt found homes for all the stray cats that got into Disneyland's castle, paying for their care until each found a home.