From the Disney Food blog...

Snack Series: Contempo Cafe Red Velvet Cupcake

Jan 17th, 2012 by AJ.

Learn About:

Contempo Cafecontempo-cafe-300x157.jpg

Disney World Restaurants

One of our favorite counter-service joints, Contempo Cafe, has perfected another yummo cupcake that I can’t wait to tell you about!

Previously, we’ve shared our reviews of the Apple Spice, Chocoalte Peppermint, Dulce de Leche, and Black Forest cupcakes here at Contempo, and now we’ve got a version of my very favorite cake in the world — the Red Velvet cupcake!

You can find this snack in the bakery case at Contempo Cafe in Disney’s Contemporary Resort, Walt Disney World. Just bypass the ordering machines and head right to the cupcakes!

Red-Velvet-Cupcake-350x428.jpg

Red Velvet Cupcake

Once again, this cupcake sports the lighter-than-lard frosting common to most Contempo Cafe cupcakes. It’s not as light as a whipped cream frosting, but it is definitely not going to satisfy those of us who still order their birthday cake from the local bakery, complete with that thick, fat-full frosting!

Red-Velvet-Unwrapped-350x300.jpg

Red Velvet Unwrapped

That said, the frosting is still quite good, and it shouldn’t be a reason not to order this snack! Red sugar crystals are incorporated into the frosting, and there’s a border of red sprinkles around the edge. (Personally, I’m not a fan of sprinkles as I don’t want to chew anything waxy as part of my cupcake, but, alas.)

Inside the cupcake we have a wonderful surprise — as we do with all Contempo Cafe cupcakes! Here we have a serious cheesecake center, and by that I mean it’s straight cheesecake in there! My experience here reminded me of when Heather and I first tried the red velvet cheesecake cupcake at the Plaza Inn in Disneyland!

Red-Velvet-Cross-Section-350x422.jpg

Red Velvet Cross-Section

You can see clearly in the next two photos that the cheesecake center is thick and rich — this may not be the best cupcake for the kids unless they’re huge cheesecake fans. icon_smile.gif

Red-Velvet-Close-Up-500x333.jpg

Red Velvet Close-Up

Red-Velvet-Detail-500x333.jpg

Red Velvet Detail

The cake in the cupcake was very good, and with the thick cheesecake center, the lighter frosting seemed more fitting than it did at first bite!

I can highly recommend this cupcake — it’s probably one of my favorites so far at Contempo Cafe. It may be seasonal, Contempo tends to switch out its cupcakes periodically a la Boardwalk Bakery, but rest assured that if this one isn’t in the bakery case, there will be something equally as enticing! icon_smile.gif

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2012/01/17/snack-series-contempo-cafe-red-velvet-cupcake/