From WDW News Today...

“Rock the Night” Fireworks Spectacular Lights Studios’ Skies for One Night

Jan 19, 2012 by wdwntadmin ico_post_comments.pngNo Comments ico_post_date.png Posted under: Disney's Hollywood Studios

One of our WDWNT Reporters visited Disney’s Hollywood Studios earlier tonight to see the one-night-only performance of the “Rock The Night” fireworks spectacular, which turned out to be a slightly altered version of the usual New Year’s Eve show. Enjoy a complete video of the show:

http://vimeo.com/35353865

The show was an attempt to get guests away from the Magic Kingdom for the day while President Obama visited. Disney’s Hollywood Studios would typically run Fantasmic! in this situation, but it is currently under refurbishment, so running this show was the only other option. Guests seemed to have a great time, so I would deem this a very successful temporary replacement.

http://wdwnewstoday.com/archives/8587

Monique-

Thanks for posting this.

Now I know what the Rock the Night Fireworks event is.

It's just Mulch, Sweat and Tears blaring songs that no one under 50 years old would know with a pretty nice fireworks display being shot off over the hat.

That is not what I expected based on this description which was shared on an earlier thread:

What the heck is the "Rock the Night Spectacular"? As posted on the CM Hub (thanks Lou!)

Guests will enjoy a backstage pass to the place "where showbiz is" and entertainment comes to life.

They will salute the world of showbiz from the Hollywood classics of yesteryear to the best in popular entertainment. They will be able to take center stage as the star of their own adventure: from rock 'n' roll fantasy to Broadway style stage spectaculars, from the silver screen to the TV screen to behind the scenes.

Special fireworks will be part of the event.

What's this business about guests taking center stage as the star of their own adventure?

Where's the Broadway style stage spectaculars?

The from the silver screen to the TV screen to behind the scenes?

It's just some cheap in-house band playing old songs and some fireworks. I guess if they advertised this truthfully- that it was just a loud band playing classic rock songs to a fireworks display, guests might not have shown up.

TCD

The so called reporter that wrote that piece doesn't know WDW too well.

He wrote that it was an attempt to get guests away from MK. MK closed at 8PM. And that pretend event started at 7PM. Most guests had already cleared out of the MK by 7. How is that taking them away? Was it even open to the public. The last time I remember it happening, I think it was a separate ticket.

He also writes that the event was the only other option. Uhh, hey buddy, have you heard of Epcot, BW, DTD, and all of the other non-Disney parks in the area?

And if it was a replacement for Fantasmic, what good is it doing it for one night?

It was a lame attempt, at what I don't know.