From the Disney Food blog...

Memory Lane: Stories From 50’s Prime Time Cafe in Disney World

Mar 6th, 2012 by Kim.

If you’ve dined at the 50’s Prime Time Cafe in Disney’s Hollywood Studios, you probably have a fond memory (or more!) of your server’s antics.

Here’s the storyline (every good Disney restaurant has a storyline, after all!): This restaurant is set up with the theme of a 1950’s kitchen, and “mom” is back behind the wall stirring up some grub! Of course, your servers are all part of the family, so they’re referred to as “cousins” or “uncles”!

Should you make any major faux pas (like putting your elbows on the table or not finishing your vegetables), your “cousin” or “uncle” could very well dole out a little punishment! Guests have found themselves standing in the corner, singing My Little Teapot in front of the whole restaurant, and more! Of course, the experience really does depend on who your server is (I’ve had some duds in my time), but more often than not, this is a really fun experience.

We asked our DFB Facebook Friends to share their fun memories — and send pics! Below are a few of the hilarious responses! We can’t wait to hear YOUR favorite 50’s Prime Time Cafe memories — let us know about them in the comments section below!

Eat Your Veggies

Here’s the story that gave us the idea to do this post! Thanks to Jill for sending over this photo and memory!

“My punishment for not eating my veggies — green beans returned to me with whipped cream for dessert!” exclaims Reader Jill S.

Green-Beans-and-Whipped-Cream-500x399.jpg

Green Beans and Whipped Cream

Reader Heather C.’s family had to sing! “All we are saying, is give peas a chance“, sung to my father while he was being fed by [server] Uncle Tommy the last forkful of peas from the chicken pot pie.”

Give-Peas-a-Chance-500x416.jpg

Give Peas a Chance

And “[server] Uncle Tommy using a kazoo and flying the “airplane” fork into my son’s mouth.”

Airplane-500x471.jpg

Airplane!

No Toys at the Table

Reader Jill S. recalls “my husband had to give our waitress his iPhone during lunch. No toys at the table, she said!”

50s-prime-time-tv-table-500x666.jpg

TV Table

Janna remembers “…the server gave my mom heck because she wouldn’t get off of the phone! She announced to the entire restaurant that my mom was grounded from her phone.”

Reader Pudge the Fish had a similar experience: “The waitress caught my father-in-law on his phone and proceeded to rib him for the entire meal about his new fangled “walkie talkie” (it is the 1950’s in there after all.)”

Keep Your Dinnerware on the Table

Reader Tracy B. reminisces about a November 2011 meal: “During the app, I dropped my knife and [my husband] Chuck gave me his. Then when the entrees came, I asked for a new one. No problem, right?

THEN, I dropped my NEW knife! But it happened while [our server] Mindy was in the room and she looked at CHUCK and said “Seriously?” Everyone in the room was cracking up! “

Birthday Memories

Reader Heather J. remembers a funny birthday experience: “We were celebrating my daughter Meghan’s Sweet Sixteenth Birthday on our last trip. All during our dinner our “cousin” was teasing Meghan about her nose ring.

When our dessert came, she brought out a bowl of ice cream with a candle in it and dragged Meg out into the middle of the dining room. Before she had the whole place sing “Happy Birthday”, she told everyone that the girl had been snagged in the nose by her grandpa’s fishing hook. Priceless!”

16th-Birthday1-500x375.jpg

16th Birthday

Sports Team Rivalry

Reader Jacqueline M. has a family of good sports!

“In July of 2009 I took my siblings to Disney for their very first trip. One restaurant that I knew they needed to experience was the 50’s Prime Time Cafe!

We are from the Boston area and are huge Red Sox fans! The moment we got “cousin Amy” from New York as our server, I knew we were in for an experience. There is quite the rivalry between the Sox and New York Yankees, and my little brother was still not quite old enough to realize that you should just avoid the whole rivalry thing if you are not at Fenway.

My little brother decided to bring up the question that would create quite the dining experience: “Are you a Yankees fan?” Well, of course “cousin Amy” was! My brother kept talking about his love of the Sox and distaste of the Yankees while he managed to avoid eating his vegetables.

“Cousin Amy” took my brother by the hand and made him hold a packet of pepper with his nose against the wall. When he tried to walk away from the corner, Cousin Amy took him over to a new table and introduced him to his new family from California!

50’s Prime Time is a must on every vacation that we take to Walt Disney World!”

Good-Sports-500x375.jpg

Good Sports!

Don’t Get Distracted

Reader Elissa F. visits 50’s Prime Time Cafe on every trip to WDW! She recalls being seated at a TV table. Her son was mesmerized the entire meal and the waitress was kind enough to go easy on him despite his distraction.

Mesmerizing-TV-500x333.jpg

Mesmerizing TV

Make Your Own Fun

Readers Matt & Lani love the Glowtinis! “These drinks at the Tune-In Lounge at 50’s Prime Time Cafe are sure to make your night at Hollywood Studios “extra” fun”, they said!

Glowtini.jpg

Glowtini

Remember Your Table Manners

Reader Bethabee gives this warning: “one member of our group had her elbows on the table repeatedly and ended up having to stand with her nose to the wall while the waiter led us in some kind of ditty about remembering good table manners.”

Antics Overview — Disney Food Blog Editor Kim’s Experiences

Wrapping up Memory Lane, I’ll share my own experiences, too! On our most recent trip to the cafe, my tween son was made to set the table in order to earn his keep. We were very amused! His Grandma thought it was about time that Mr. Tween did this chore!

Tween-Earning-his-Keep-393x525.jpg

Tween Earning his Keep

Our tired “Cousin” sat to take our order. Then, Mr. Tween was instructed to take the menus back up to the check-in area. The server told him “I’m not doing everything!”

Tired-Cousin-500x375.jpg

Tired Cousin

After several rides on Star Tours, the Tween was thirsty and asked for a refill. He got three!

Thirsty-500x375.jpg

Thirsty!

And to prepare our son for his touring day after all of that soda, he was presented with this helpful map!

Bed-Wetters-Guide-Map-500x375.jpg

Bed Wetter's Guide Map

Of course, there were veggies left on Mr. Tween’s plate, so his dessert was made with the scraps!

Veggie-Dessert-500x375.jpg

Veggie Dessert

We were even asked to sign a birthday card for our “family members” across the room (since everyone in the restaurant is “family” after all)!

Birthday-Card-500x375.jpg

Birthday Card

Finally, in addition to having to serve another table their soup, our tween was given our bill.

Time-to-Pay-Up-500x375.jpg

Time to Pay Up!

This humor was perfectly suited for our then-11 year old. He enjoyed every minute of the fun!

Through the years, we’ve had fantastic meals at the 50’s Prime Time Cafe. My advice is to know the color of the soap if you excuse yourself to visit the restroom! We love dining at this restaurant. And it’s even more fun when we bring extended family!

Want to fill your belly with some memorable laughs? Make an advance dining reservation here on your next Disney trip! And don’t forget to check out our review of the 50’s Prime Time Cafe.

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2012/03/06/memory-lane-stories-from-50s-prime-time-cafe-in-disney-world/

Thanks for sharing all the good stuff. I've avoided this place because the reviews I usually see are not the best as far as meals. But, PLEASE...a chance to get my Tween doing chores while I snap photos....This is a no-brainer! Looks like I've gotta add this one to our list for December.... :yay: