They're smart and adorable!

From the Disney Parks blog...

Kunekune Pigs Ham it Up and an Artful Pig Paints, All at Affection Section at Disney’s Animal Kingdom Theme Park

posted on March 29th, 2012 by Gary Buchanan, Social Media Managing Editor

Some rare pigs made their debut late last year at Disney’s Animal Kingdom Theme Park. And these are some pretty smart swine.

In a previous post, Disney Parks Blog author Jackie Ogden told us about the arrival of the intelligent (and surprisingly agile) kunekune pigs. The pigs, found in New Zealand but believed to have originated in China, once faced extinction. Thanks to breeding and conservation efforts, they have since come back in a big way.

When I heard about these plump pigs in our park (“kunekune” means “plump” in the Mãori language), I knew I just had to meet them.

The Animal Care cast members at Conservation Station work with the three little pigs regularly on a variety of behaviors. This work helps the pigs stay fit, intellectually stimulated and comfortable around guests. They also help teach park guests about the real dangers of extinction.

“Most people have heard about endangered species in reference to wild animals, but many domestic animals are at risk of extinction as well,” Jackie said. “By showcasing rare domestic breeds, like babydoll sheep, Nigerian dwarf goats and kunekune pigs at Affection Section, we are helping our guests learn more about them and how they can help.”

Join me as I experience some of the great work the Animal Care team does with the kunekune pigs. Also, keep an eye out at the end the video for another rare and intelligent pig, an African Guinea hog named Mindy. She loves to paint.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qv_fxzYtw5g

All of the pigs are quite a hit with guests at Affection Section, so be sure to stop in and say hi next time you’re at Disney’s Animal Kingdom Theme Park.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/03/kunekune-pigs-ham-it-up-and-an-artful-pig-paints-all-at-affection-section-at-disneys-animal-kingdom-theme-park/

Adorable, hairy piggies - love 'em!

Also love that all of the tricks they were teaching them are the ones I taught Bz as a pup too.

Gotta love good ol' tried and true Classical Conditioning! A handful of treats and 20 minutes and you can teach just about any thinking, breathing mammal something new.

Oh and it works with people and chocolate too. :rofl2: