I was checking out the Disney Jobs, (just looking, you never know) and found this today.

Job details pixel.gifpixel.gif

Job Posting Title Ranch Hand- Full Time, Walt Disney World Job Description As a Ranch Hand Cast Member at the Tri-Circle-D Ranch, you will be responsible for the daily care of over 90 horses and ponies that live at the Walt Disney World® Resort. Some positions include: assisting with pony rides, leading guest trail rides, and driving single & multiple draft horse and pony teams.

Ranch Hand Hosts and Hostesses receive a starting rate of $7.90/hour, up to $10.35/hour, based on experience.

Responsibilities

• Provide exceptional animal care and ensure the safety of our guests while working around equine.
  • Responsible for the maintenance of all animal areas on a daily basis.
  • Maintain and ensure the implementation of feeding and nutritional programs as set in place by management.
  • Observe animals and provide feedback on animal health and medical conditions, administer medications if instructed by management.
  • Assist in creating a work environment, which focuses on promoting exceptional animal care.
  • Daily grooming and washing of all animals.
  • Provide outstanding guest service and educate guests on the animal collection.

Basic Qualifications

• You must be at least 18 years of age to be considered for this role.
  • This position requires heavy lifting of 50-70 pounds repeatedly, at times over your head.
  • Must be able to drive trucks and trailers.
  • Proven ability to saddle and harness horses and ponies when appropriate.
  • Previous experience riding, or driving single and multiple horse teams.
  • Demonstrated ability to handle multiple tasks, self-starter requiring little follow-up.
  • Must be able to be pro-active with Guests by asking and answering questions.
  • Must be flexible and able to work a variety of shifts, including days, nights, weekends, holidays and special events.
  • Full availability for any shift, any day of the week, including nights, weekends, and holidays.

Preferred Qualifications

• 10 Years of equine driving experience and the ability to drive a six horse or pony hitch.
  • Proven advanced riding ability.
  • Experience driving a tractor trailer and a valid Class A CDL.

Additional Information SCHEDULE AVAILABILTY

Our Theme Parks and Resort Hotels operate 24 hours a day, 365 days a year and some shifts may start as early as 5:00am while some may end as late as 3:00am, 4:00am or 5:00am. Please note that the principles of seniority are used to schedule all roles.

SUBMITTING YOUR APPLICATION

After clicking “Apply for this job” below, the employment application will open in a new window. Please complete ALL pages of the application by clicking “Next” on each page, then “Submit” on the final page.

IMPORTANT:

You may only apply once in a six month period. If you have applied within the last six months, please log in to your account to view your current application status.

KEYWORD: WDW Casting Primary Location-City Lake Buena Vista Primary Location-State FL Primary Location-Country US Auto req ID 33948BR

I spent a lot of time at the TCD ranch when I was a cast member. An old girlfriend was a cast member there. I rode every horse and we had Rodeos every Saturday night in the pin in front. We also took horses on rides along the beach before the lodge was opened

I grew up on a small farm where my grandmother boarded about 20 horaes. I've cleaned many a stall with a wheelbarrow and later a john deere gator they use today. It's not easy. When I was younger I got paid $2 an hour 30 years ago, so you re telling me they wanna pay a few bucks more now? I've gone to the barn a few times and those cm's work hard for the money. On top of hard work you need all kinds of other experience. I bet the TCD turnover is a lot. I was doing my grandmothers barn (about 18 stalls) earlier this year because I was dating a girl who teaches special needs children classes there and part of her deal is to do the stalls on Friday and Sarurday. I usually did them for her until we quit dating. Maybe I don't miss her that bad.

I don't think the people that want this job are motivated by pay.

If you want to work in that environment and love animals, there aren't that many jobs out there.

It's an entry level position which could lead to other opportunities involving animals. AK for instance.

• 2 weeks later...

Are you kidding me? This can't be real. I own a small farm/ranch here in Oklahoma and there is no way I could find a hand to work for me for $7.25/hr. I know it's WDW but will they really find someone to work for peanuts?

Disney doesn't kid, everything is real there.

It's actually $7.90 not $7.25, but that's the minimum hourly starting pay, with $10.35 being the max.

I'm certain that they will or have filled that position.

Come on, picking wheat, wheat is picked isn't it, under the hot sun in Oklahoma, is it still a dust bowl, or driving a horse drawn wagon filled with happy people that paid through the nose to ride in it at WDW?

It's understandable that you have to pay more in Oklahoma. Doesn't it have a history of having to bribe people with free land just to come live there?

If Oklahoma is so great, why is it just OK?

Disney doesn't kid, everything is real there.

It's actually $7.90 not $7.25, but that's the minimum hourly starting pay, with $10.35 being the max.

I'm certain that they will or have filled that position.

Come on, picking wheat, wheat is picked isn't it, under the hot sun in Oklahoma, is it still a dust bowl, or driving a horse drawn wagon filled with happy people that paid through the nose to ride in it at WDW?

It's understandable that you have to pay more in Oklahoma. Doesn't it have a history of having to bribe people with free land just to come live there?

If Oklahoma is so great, why is it just OK?

Well maybe back in the day when you where young, circa 1890, they picked wheat. Now even in Oklahoma we have modern machinery. I'm sure you probably remember the dust bowl but no this to had passed. And no we had to fight for our land during the land run. At least we didn't fall for the mosquito infested swamp land back in the day. Also not only is Oklahoma OK, it's Great! Can you say Oklahoma Sooners football, Oklahoma Thunder. Also in 2008, Oklahoma was the only state in the union that Barack Obama did not win a single county in nor a single electoral vote. So thanks Florida for helping elect him.

All that being said please come to Oklahoma and I'll personally make sure you have a wonderful time. Was that snarky enough for a newbie?

Can't wait to meet you Lou. See you this Christmas. By the way how do I get a job as a boat operator when I retire?

Also in 2008, Oklahoma was the only state in the union that Barack Obama did not win a single county in nor a single electoral vote.

That's big in my book and has me sold on OK.

All that being said please come to Oklahoma and I'll personally make sure you have a wonderful time.

Actually it looks like it has a lot to offer

Was that snarky enough for a newbie?

That was a great comeback.

See all you newbie's, this is how it's done.

Can't wait to meet you Lou. See you this Christmas.

Likewise, I'll be around.

By the way how do I get a job as a boat operator when I retire?

If you're thinking seasonal, you may be out of luck.

Positions that require special training, like those in transportation, no longer offer seasonal jobs.

I know that's the case with bus drivers and my guess is that it is the case with watercraft pilots.

I've got about 10 yrs till my youngest is off to college and then I'm retiring and hopefully moving to Orlando. My dream retirement job is to Captain one of the boats at the Magic kingdom or at DTD. Don't know if it's necessary but Ill have my coast guard issued captain license.