Don't Miss This! Could save big this week using Gift Cards for gas & wdw

:jumpforjoy It's here. :jumpforjoy The annual pre-Father's Day Giant Food "Buy a $50 Gift Card, get $10" deal. :jumpforjoy

But the first $50 GC - today we bought Shell Gas, $10 coupon prints at register for $10 off next transaction. Next transaction bought $50 Shell card - paid with $40 OOP + $10 coupon they just handed me. Register prints another $10 coupon and so it'll continue all week until I run out of extra cash to drop on GCs. Just remember to pay for each GC seperately b/c occassionally, in past years, we found the Catalina hasn't printed 1 for each $50 if too many are on a single transaction.

In the end, it means you get $20 off every $100 - PLUS you also earn gas rewards points worth 10 cents off every gallon up to 35 gallons at shell & Giant gas stations for each $100 spent. Talk about added value on a budget.

Our Giant store currently has Shell, Disney, Cracker Barrell, Burger King, McDs, and other $25 & $50 GCs in stock. After I've got our gas covered, I'll start buying Disney $50 cards to pay for our site and a few meals while in wdw.

You can either pay your site/room/package with GCs upon arrival or call it in advance to have it applied and take the total off your balance. You can even use GCs for deposits, not to mention DCL, park tickets, meals, souvies, you name it.

There aren't many ways that you can save 20%+ off the top of an already discounted wdw room/site rate. I share this one with clients all the time. Normally the best GCards discount is found by combining the 5% discount using a Target Red Card with the bonus 5% coupon Target gives for having 5 prescriptions filled. That's so much more hassle for half as much savings than just buying GCs using a promo like this when it's available. It works and it's easy. If you use a TA just email her a list of your GC #s and she can also have them applied in advance for you, if desired.

Watch all your local ads. It's not uncommon for CVS, Walgreens, Winn Dixie, and other stores to do this as well but it's for a very limited time. A different grocery store in TX just did it last week according to a friend's DD and I remember seeing it at CVS in the past but it was in the form of ECVs instead of a catalina style register pprint coupon.

Wish we had cool stores around here that do stuff like this.

Do you have a Giant Eagle, a Stop & Shop, or a Save Right? Their ads both list the Father's Day GC promo this week according to a friend in NJ. She says there wasn't a sign up at the GCs but it was on the ad. Anybody seen a Publix or Kroeger ad for this week? I wonder who else is doing it?

Also forgot to mention that our store also had Southwest Airlines GCs. If you bought the Southwest GCs, you could combine it with the $20 coke rewards code on a RT flight using wanna getaway fares. Even better than that, Kraft foods is emailing a code worth 15% off SW fares to those who sign up from SC, TN, & AL (might be more states too but pretty sure those are the ones I saw in the ad) then use the SW GCs to pay for the flight and you've got yet another great option to get to wdw cheaper...

We have to ring each of ours up seperately in order for them to print the $10 coupon for next one. You'll have to go thru the register multiple times. Yesterday's $10 coupons had an expiration date of 6/16, Today's had to be used by 6/17 so it appears each $10 Catalina prints with an expiration date a week away... hehehe, not that mine would last that long... The catalina says sponsored by iTunes on it.

It won't print the $10 Catalina on Amazon, Lowes or Giant GCs so I'd imagine it wouldn't work on Stop & Shop cards either but we had a terrific selection of everything else on the GC rack

:thinking-smiley: oooooh... Maybe you could buy those SW & WDW cards now for your solo flight down to TOT Mo... hmmm, come to think of it, maybe you & Carol could both be picking up a few for July too. I mean while you're already there shopping and all... :beathorse:

Ok, now you've got my little brain working (a feat any day, but especially Sunday!)

I'm throwing into this equation our Chase Disney rewards card, which since we just upgraded to the Premium card, is offering 5% back on grocery and gas purchases right now.

That means that if I buy $250 worth of gift cards (for us probably gas or Disney cards for our trip), it will cost me $210 and I'll earn $10.50 in Disney dollars.

It'll also save me $0.20 per gallon on 35 gallons of gas (savings of $7.00 - and S&S right now has the cheapest gas prices here) which if I pay for that with my Disney Visa, earns me another approx. $6.00 in Disney dollars!

Total savings on gift cards and gas = $47

Total Disney dollars earned = approx $17

:thinking-smiley: oooooh... Maybe you could buy those SW & WDW cards now for your solo flight down to TOT Mo... hmmm, come to think of it, maybe you & Carol could both be picking up a few for July too. I mean while you're already there shopping and all... :beathorse:

I do like the way you think, Pam!

Yesterday's GCs were mixed with food and I earned gas rewards points on the entire total on both receipts. That might have been a glitch tho b/c today's receipt shows 0 giant gas rewards earned on the GC purchases.

Even so, if you used a disney visa or other rewards cc, it's still a good savings. I had a client last year pay for a $4000 package in GCs from Target to save 5% from their red card discount. 20% plus cc rewards is much better than that and you don't need to have a credit card to get the 20% - great for folks like us who don't use CCs any more...

Just bumping this b/c the Giant deal is set to end at midnight tonight according to the manager at our store. Other stores may go a few days longer but I don't expect any after Father's Day on Sunday.

So far, we've saved 20% on gas for this month and July 4th GG as long as we use Shell. Holding some wdw GCs for that extra 20% off the balance due when we check in.

:jumpforjoy :jumpforjoy more $$ = more fun, more pie, more coconut rum, even more bananas... :banana: :banana: :banana:

I've already gotten $200 worth of Disney GCs from Stop & Shop for $170. Going back for round 2 today.

One note - you do not get the gas points for the GC purchase. Apparently they don't fall under "qualified purchases"

Still a good deal - especially when I'm getting my Disney Visa Rewards points on top.