• 1 month later...

so this photo popped up on Chip & Company's Facebook page yesterday...

190016_10151177094823417_659687480_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/chipandco

At first I thought this was the CiW dock, but going back and looking at some of my old photos I realized this is actually the Pleasure Island boat dock and CiW is on the other side at the start of the West Side.

But thinking maybe they knew something (Chip & Co. tends to be pretty reliable), I checked MY reliable sources and Disney's internal information is that this attraction is CLOSED... with nothing on the schedule regarding a reopening anytime soon.

• 1 month later...

From WDW Magic. Nothing has turned up on the official WDW schedule yet showing when service will resume. Stay tuned...

'Characters in Flight' to reopen at Downtown Disney as new balloon installation begins

Sep 25, 2012 | 3:22pm EDT

The new 'Characters in Flight' balloon is now onsite at Downtown Disney and being prepared for test flights. No word yet on when it will reopen to the public, but as you can see from the photo below, the balloon is in position and crews are working on setup.

The tethered balloon flight closed back in July 2012 to allow for an investigation into an accident with a similar balloon in Hong Kong.

http://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions/characters-in-flight/news/25sep2012-photo---%27characters-in-flight%27-to-reopen-at-downtown-disney-as-new-balloon-installation-begins.htm