Curry Hammock State Park, Marathon, FL

Well, we took an entire year to plan this trip - and its already over! We have been home almost a week from our week - long trip to the Florida Keys.

Let me say that we LOVED this little campground. It was small, only 28 sites. No sewer hook up. But we had site 16, right on the Atlantic Ocean. Our site was narrow, barely had enough room to set up the One Up Canopy but thankful we had it and the screens because the bugs were AWFUL!! The comfort station was decent, the showers were hot and the campground hosts kept them clean. Funny thing, they didn't have flushing toilets. They were located on the second story and underneath the building was where all the "waste" went - but it never stunk! It was always decent to go in - other than the mosquitos.

We had daily visits from large blue crabs and iguanas that have invaded the state park. The day use area was small - most of the park was the campground. We could fish and launch our kayaks right from the beach area. Had a nice sandy beach, could fish right from the shore as well. The water was at times HOT, not refreshing and since the bottom was filled with sea grass, it wasn't great for swimming. We would kayak almost daily out to a sandbar at low tide and snorkel and swim. The sand bar had soft nice sand in areas and other areas had coral and fish. It was nice to snorkel - just not very deep. My son caught the only "keeper" fish - a mangrove snapper!

We enjoyed the Keys very much and may go back next summer! We did a snorkel excursion from Bahia Honda State Park to Looe Key Reef. It was really cool but the waves were high and the water was murky. Also visited Key West - ate lunch at Sloppy Joes - not impressed :)

Anyway, here are some pictures:

DSC03357.jpg

Here is a view of our site (16) from the second story of the comfort station. The comfort station was located right across from us.

DSCN0158.jpg

This is a view of the back of our campsite from the beach. Site 16 is the closest to the ocean.

DSCN0226.jpg

Not at the campground, but a quick picture from our snorkel excursion at Bahia Honda.

DSCN0171.jpg

A fellow camper caught this nurse shark right on the beach shore behind our campsite one evening.

DSCN0410.jpg

View of the back of the campground from the beach area.

DSCN0377.jpg

This is the sandbar area we would kayak too. Lots of power boats would anchor off as well and hang on the sandbar.

DSCN0367.jpg

My son, Caleb, snorkeling on the sandbar.

DSCN0446.jpg

Kiddos the morning we were leaving.

DSC03349.jpg

Another view of the back of the campground.

DSC03328.jpg

so you can see how narrow the site was. If we would've had an outdoor kitchen, would've had to given up using the kitchen or the canopy! The canopy was a life saver w/ the screens and the bugs!!

I will quickly add that we did check the campground at Bahia Honda out. This one was by far nicer. It was on the ocean and quiet and had a beautiful view! Bahia Honda was noisy, on an inlet of sorts and had a view of the old bridge. I know its super popular but we really liked Curry Hammock better.

Were thinking of going next July, the week the 4th lands on if any local fiends would like to go as well. We will need to book this month, 11 months in advance to get a waterfront site.

Wow! Beautiful! We camped there when I was a kid over the Christmas holidays in 1977. But I don't remember much about it, except getting into my mother's slow gin fizz and getting pretty buzzed at 9 years old. LOL! Hey, the stuff tasted like kool aid.

:laugh:

• 1 month later...

Glad you got to camp there. We booked there 2 years ago but they were replacing their bridge and we could only stay 1 night, so we rebooked for Long Key. Didn't really like it-too many partiers. Curry Hammock looked to be more our style. The beach front on Long Key is really filthy too from the Atlantic jetstream. All the cruise boat trash comes ashore here.