‘My Yard Goes Disney’: Creating a Backyard Wilderness Resort

From the Disney Parks blog...

‘My Yard Goes Disney’: Creating a Backyard Wilderness Resort

posted on July 22nd, 2012 by Tony Shepherd, Producer, Broadcast Marketing

Many of us have spent lots of time exploring the Walt Disney World Resort. There’s so much beyond our fantastic theme parks and water parks!

One of my favorites is what insiders refer to as the “Wilderness Region.” This area is comprised of two unique resort experiences. At Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort and Campgrounds, guests hike winding paths, explore nature trails on horseback and have the time of their lives in the great outdoors among hundreds of acres of natural beauty. They can enjoy heated pools and a foot-stompin’ heap of recreation activities, including a campfire and nightly movie with Chip ‘n’ Dale. Although the resort is relaxing and quiet, Magic Kingdom Park is just a boat ride away!

At Disney’s Wilderness Lodge, guests escape to the rustic charm of a resort that recalls the majesty of the grand National Park Service lodges from the Great American Northwest.

The Monize family, whom you’ll meet tonight on HGTV’s “My Yard Goes Disney” episode, has the largest backyard the HGTV designers have ever encountered. Brendon and Mimi, along with their two daughters Sulah (6) and Linah (5), are huge Disney fans. And, because they couldn’t make up their mind which resort they love more, the designers used both as inspiration!

cbw384754SMALL.jpg

Gallery

‘My Yard Goes Disney’: Creating a Backyard Wilderness Resortview all

• cbw108725-100x100.jpg
  • cbw946755-100x100.jpg
  • cbw180976-100x100.jpg
  • cbw180667-100x100.jpg
  • cbw189025-100x100.jpg
  • cbw817035-100x100.jpg

The girls are avid bike riders – in fact, the family love their surrey bike rides throughout the Wilderness Region. So the designers built them an amazing bike path! Have you ever toasted marshmallows with Chip ‘n’ Dale and watched an outdoor movie at the Campgrounds? Well, the Monize family gets their very own outdoor movie theater to make their Fort Wilderness memories last a lifetime!

And, to top it all off, see if you can spot a backyard geyser to rival Fire Rock Geyser, the Wilderness Lodge’s recreation of the famous geyser “Old Faithful.”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfbLkNFhoMc

Hope you’ll gather round with us tonight for “My Yard Goes Disney!” at 5:30 p.m. Eastern on HGTV.

Check out these other posts about “My Yard Goes Disney”:

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/07/my-yard-goes-disney-creating-a-backyard-wilderness-resort/

We have been wishing for a Disney Backyard Makeover since we first visited Disney World and long before there was a show doing just that. It would be a dream come true for our children (and us old folks) if that could happen. Maybe one day before I die I will see that dream come true.