“Ice Cream Sundae” Cupcake at Main Street Bakery, Magic Kingdom

From the Disney Food Blog. Follow the links for more pics...

Snack Series: “Ice Cream Sundae” Cupcake at Main Street Bakery

Jul 30th, 2012 by AJ.

Many of you know I just got back home TODAY from a trip to Walt Disney World! And while I was there I explored LOTS of new eats and treats to share with you.

But before I start tackling laundry, I couldn’t wait to showcase this little beauty…

ice-cream-cupcake-front-364x625.jpg

Main Street Bakery's Ice Cream Sundae Cupcake

I know what you’re thinking — “Gosh, that looks an awful lot like a scoop of ice cream on top of a cupcake.” Yep — it sure does! But that, my friends, is a big ol’ ice cream scoop’s worth of FROSTING…yes indeed.

When I first walked into the Bakery (which I always do, because I want to see what fun new stuff they have), my eye was immediately drawn to these. All lined up in white and pink, they truly did look like ice cream sundaes sitting there — drenched in “chocolate sauce” and topped with “whipped cream” and a cherry. The whole thing is topped off by a chocolate coated triangle of waffle cone. Totally adorable, and completely irresistible.

ice-cream-cupcake-back-437x625.jpg

Back of Ice Cream Sundae Cupcake -- see how the waffle cone section is coated in chocolate

I started to dismantle the cupcake so that I could show you guys what the textures were, and I was surprised to see that the chocolate on top just lifts right off of the fluffy frosting.

And the frosting — buttercream — was vanilla, even though it was pink. The texture was lighter than a typical buttercream, but you can see from the photos that it definitely had some heft to it. This was no whipped cream frosting, I promise. It was also super-sweet, so the sugar really came through.

And this is a LOT of frosting, my friends. I spoke to a cast member about it and she said that they literally used a regulation ice cream scoop to plop it on there.

ice-cream-cupcake-frosting-texture-600x423.jpg

Frosting Texture was light, but still a solid buttercream

The cake itself was red velvet! Not very memorable (unlike a Sunshine Seasons cupcake I’ll be sharing with you soon!), this cake was slightly dry and definitely overpowered by the frosting. There was also no “surprise” in the middle (something I’m finding less and less in Disney cupcakes recently, by the way).

You can also see from the photo below that the frosting was definitely hefty, as the cake pulled away from it all together when I did the cross section.

Overall, I really enjoyed both the whimsical presentation of this cupcake, and the flavors and textures in the snack. I’ve become very impressed with Main Street Bakery lately — they’re giving Starring Rolls a run for their money, eh? icon_wink.gif

What do you think about this “ice cream sundae” cupcake? Let us know in the comments if you’d be willing to give it a try!

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2012/07/30/snack-series-ice-cream-sundae-cupcake-at-main-street-bakery/