Disney Dining with Kids 10 +

I am thinking of canceling our Spirit of Aloha reservations for the rally we are attending at the Fort. It was expected to be a group activity but appears that most of the group, despite saying they want to go, have not signed up for it. If I cancel this ADR then I now have 3 unused Table Service Credits.

So to convince DH, I broke out the spreadsheets (Lou, I promise it was a temporary lapse) and did some research. Disney specifies that it's kids menus are for ages 9 and under. The difference in Table Service between 9 & 10 is about 20 dollars. My son, who has allergies, can't eat most of the Table Service foods. He usually just gets the pizza or hamburger at most restaurants anyway. So my question is, if I cancel my dining plan is it ok to use my Key To The World card or is it better to pay with my regular credit card?

The difference in paying for the three Table Service meals & a potential 9 Quick Service meals with cash/credit vs the DDP for a family of four is about $500.

So you're not going to use DDP at all, correct?

If so, I don't think you'll have a problem with using your KTTW card to pay for meals out of pocket and your son ordering off the kids menu.

Unless he is 6' tall or has a full beard, seems unlikely that CMs are going to question his age if he orders off the kids menu.

So you're not going to use DDP at all, correct?

If so, I don't think you'll have a problem with using your KTTW card to pay for meals out of pocket and your son ordering off the kids menu.

Unless he is 6' tall or has a full beard, seems unlikely that CMs are going to question his age if he orders off the kids menu.

That is correct I am planning on canceling the DDP....

He is just under 6' tall and no full beard.

There shouldn't be a problem ordering a kids meal paying OOP. I've even seen seniors ordering from the children's menu on occassion. Starla orders from the kids menu a lot and just tells them to give her an adult sized portion at the higher appetizer or standard menu price for those chicken fingers & fries. The only time I can see it being an issue is at buffets or dinner shows when kids pricing is based upon age. Even so, then you just pay the adult price OOP for that meal and he can have his desired kids meal everywhere else.

You do have two more options though if you want to play spreadsheet some more. You could drop your DS from the package (just pretend he's imaginary, so far I'm the only one who knows otherwise for certain) and still have the rest of you on the DDP. Just tell them when you're seated that you have 3 on the DDP and one paying OOP. People do it all the time. If you go this route you'd have to add him to the res at checkin. No biggie, just tell them at the fort to add him to your party and they'll cut him a KTTW card with his name on it right there at the desk. IIRC they don't have ages but the adult cards do say ADULT on them.

Third option would be to drop dining altogether and buy a TIW card. When we bought them, we've always managed to recoup the initial cost of the card quickly and enjoy savings on almost all our dining. That'd give you a discount on your TS and some CS meals for the next year while allowing you to order what you please. Since you're paying OOP for everything, it's unlikely anyone would care if your son ordered a kids meal or not, and you don't need to tell the server to split the check.

I have sworn off the spreadsheet (at least for today). I have decided to just cancel the DDP. With only got the DP to do Chef Mickey's, Yak & yeti, Rose & Crown and SOA. I had one extra credit already. Canceling SOA would leave me with 3 credit to find a use for and with this family it is often hard finding a single restaurant to eat at. We aren't very adventuresome. It's more work than it's worth at this point and I can use the money to pay for that two weeks at christmas....

Check out the possibility of getting a new landry's card or two for yak & yeti. It costs $25 but they'll credit it back to your card right away so you can use it. They also offer priority seating at Rainforest, Y&Y, and tREX, along with merchandise discounts at each of those for Landry's members as well.

Plus, there's an automatic $25 reward credited each year at the start of your birthday month. If you were to get a card in November and have a birthday, say in november perhaps, then you'd have put out $25 and have $50 on your card to spend towards your meal during that entire month. If DH's bday was also in Nov - even maybe in Oct or Dec - and he got himself a card too, you'd really be eating high on the yeti and wouldn't even need a spreadsheet to do it...

Yak & Yeti is a Landry's restraurant. So is Rainforest Cafe & T-Rex - in addition to Bubba Gumps, Joe's Crab Shack, and lots more.

Check them out here...

http://landrysselect.com/

Forgot to add - you can purchase a card at any Landry's restraurant anywhere - even after you arrive in wdw - so you have it in your hands instead of waiting on mail. Just be sure to do it a few days before you need it and register it online right away. That's how they know to credit your reward.

The merchandise discounts are instant so if you're buying anything, get the card at the register first, then hand it right back to them to get a discount on your souvies or whatever. To get the dining rewards applied, you have to register the card online. They say it could take up to 5 days for the $$ credits to show but both of ours were there by the next morning...

As far as buy kids meals for adults when paying OOP, I do that all the time!! Especially at Counter Service. Sometimes I just want a couple of chicken nuggets and small soda. You can't get those tiny soda cups unless you buy a kids meal.

Also, I would highly recommend adding charging priveledges to your room key. That leaves your personal credit card firmly put up in your wallet. The KTTW card can get cancelled and reissued immediately if lost or stolen, or demagnetized. Your credit card will take a minimum of 24 hours to replace, then you have to change all your auto debits, etc.etc. Also, the fewer people that see your card around WDW the better.

Yak & Yeti is a Landry's restraurant. So is Rainforest Cafe & T-Rex - in addition to Bubba Gumps, Joe's Crab Shack, and lots more.

Check them out here...

http://landrysselect.com/

Forgot to add - you can purchase a card at any Landry's restraurant anywhere - even after you arrive in wdw - so you have it in your hands instead of waiting on mail. Just be sure to do it a few days before you need it and register it online right away. That's how they know to credit your reward.

The merchandise discounts are instant so if you're buying anything, get the card at the register first, then hand it right back to them to get a discount on your souvies or whatever. To get the dining rewards applied, you have to register the card online. They say it could take up to 5 days for the $$ credits to show but both of ours were there by the next morning...

sweet!! thanks!!

I have confession to make. I am Louisiana born and bred and I hate seafood.....

As far as buy kids meals for adults when paying OOP, I do that all the time!! Especially at Counter Service. Sometimes I just want a couple of chicken nuggets and small soda. You can't get those tiny soda cups unless you buy a kids meal.

Also, I would highly recommend adding charging priveledges to your room key. That leaves your personal credit card firmly put up in your wallet. The KTTW card can get cancelled and reissued immediately if lost or stolen, or demagnetized. Your credit card will take a minimum of 24 hours to replace, then you have to change all your auto debits, etc.etc. Also, the fewer people that see your card around WDW the better.

Thanks for the info. If you can eat off the kids menu then so can I!!!! we always link the two but I didn't want to have to pay for him to eat things he didn't want... so I was just checking.