When Is The Next Bus Coming?

Lou-

Getting back to the original topic, has this test started yet?

If so, how far in advance to they list the bus arrival times?

I don't know all the GF bus routes, but it seems like most of the arrivals stop at the Polynesian Resort first (I think the Downtown Disney one comes from WL). What if the bus is delayed at the Poly or WL picking up or dropping off a scooter? Doesn't seem like the arrival times can be real accurate because the bus has to make at least one stop before it gets to the GF.

TCD

If so, how far in advance to they list the bus arrival times?

I don't know any details regarding the test other than it's being done at the GF either later this month or sometime next month. It will be conducted for a limited time only.

I don't know all the GF bus routes, but it seems like most of the arrivals stop at the Polynesian Resort first (I think the Downtown Disney one comes from WL). What if the bus is delayed at the Poly or WL picking up or dropping off a scooter? Doesn't seem like the arrival times can be real accurate because the bus has to make at least one stop before it gets to the GF.

As long as the bus is communicating with system, they know where it is at all times. So it won't matter if it's delayed along the way.

All the info needed to get a real time ETA anywhere on the bus route is already available. They just have to put it all together and display it on the monitor.

IAs long as the bus is communicating with system, they know where it is at all times. So it won't matter if it's delayed along the way.

All the info needed to get a real time ETA anywhere on the bus route is already available. They just have to put it all together and display it on the monitor.

My point, which I falied to make, is that it is easy enough to say how far away a bus is from its first stop, but if the stop takes longer than planned, the ETA for the second stop will then have to be increased, or it will be wrong. For example, if a bus leaves Hollywood Studios en route to the GF, it stops at the Contemporary and Polynesian before it gets to the GF, right? The guests at GF want to know when the bus will get there. How is the system going to be able to say that accurately ahead of time, when the bus has to make two stops, which could vary in length, before it finally heads to the GF?

TCD

My point, which I falied to make, is that it is easy enough to say how far away a bus is from its first stop, but if the stop takes longer than planned, the ETA for the second stop will then have to be increased, or it will be wrong. For example, if a bus leaves Hollywood Studios en route to the GF, it stops at the Contemporary and Polynesian before it gets to the GF, right? The guests at GF want to know when the bus will get there. How is the system going to be able to say that accurately ahead of time, when the bus has to make two stops, which could vary in length, before it finally heads to the GF?

Maybe I didn't make it clear?

The ETA is constantly updating as the bus travels along the route.

"As long as the bus is communicating with system, they know where it is at all times. So it won't matter if it's delayed along the way."

This is all assuming that they use all of the info currently available to them.

Maybe I didn't make it clear?

The ETA is constantly updating as the bus travels along the route.

"As long as the bus is communicating with system, they know where it is at all times. So it won't matter if it's delayed along the way."

This is all assuming that they use all of the info currently available to them.

Yeah I get it.

So, the guest is told the bus will be there in 15 minutes when it leaves Hollywood Studios. Then it gets delayed at the Contemporary. Now it will be another 10 minutes. OK, good. Then it gets delayed at the Polynesian- which is what- 5 minutes from the GF? And the guest then finds out the bus is going to be even later. How does this help anything? Seems like it will just irritate people, as they start off expecting one thing, but don't find out about the delay until the bus is practically there.

TCD

I doubt that the location of the bus will be given as that can only be done currently only by looking at the dispatcher's monitor. I really doubt that they will want to do that for this system.

You'll look at the monitor and it will give the arrival time from it's location and then you'll look up again, 10 minutes later and it will give you a dfifferent arrival time from that location, which may or may have not, included a delay.

How else could it be done?

They don't know ahead of time if the bus will encounter a delay.

I doubt that the location of the bus will be given as that can only be done currently only by looking at the dispatcher's monitor. I really doubt that they will want to do that for this system.

You'll look at the monitor and it will give the arrival time from it's location and then you'll look up again, 10 minutes later and it will give you a dfifferent arrival time from that location, which may or may have not, included a delay.

How else could it be done?

They don't know ahead of time if the bus will encounter a delay.

Exactly. So how is this an improvement over "the bus will be here in approximately 20 minutes?"

TCD

What would you do that would be an improvement?

Hmmm.

You got me there.

I know . . .

How about expand the monorail line and use monorails?

I'm skeptical that they'll spend the money to have it property-wide. It's something that IMO is not necessary.

I agree with you on both of these points.

This is just one of those tests that the IM's like to run to make it look like they are doing something.

TCD

The last time I checked, the estimated cost is about 150 million $$$$ a mile for a monorail line.

Ya, that's going to happen. Talk about a ticket price increase.

Not a problem. Just raise the rates on the campsites too. Also, think of all the huge bus driver salaries they will be able to save. They can just use CP kids to drive the monorails.

TCD

...For example, if a bus leaves Hollywood Studios en route to the GF, it stops at the Contemporary and Polynesian before it gets to the GF, right? The guests at GF want to know when the bus will get there. How is the system going to be able to say that accurately ahead of time, when the bus has to make two stops, which could vary in length, before it finally heads to the GF?

TCD

Why do I suddenly feel like I'm back in high school algebra? ;)

I would assume it will work like a subway system. At X point the bus is 15 minutes away. At Y point it's 14. If it's stopped at X, then the countdown will stay at 15 until it gets to Y.

My guess, and it's just a guess, is that the buses that stop there will be listed and an ETA for the next one will be displayed. It will update every minute or so.

I had to pick up at the GF today. While there I got off the bus and checked out the monitor to see what it looked like.

WTF, I didn't see my bus on the list of buses even though I was already there.

Oh, oh, a snag. The system depends on the automated dispatch system that is currently being used.

The problem is that it's not all that great. Lots of problems. So the display at the GF is only as good as the system that it's getting it's info from.

As it turns out the little black box on my bus wasn't working, happens a lot. So my bus didn't show up anywhere and of course, it didn't appear on the screen at the GF.

It's as i thought. It shows the list of theme parks that send buses to the GF and the buses ETA, that's it.