Space Shuttle Endeavour to fly over Magic Kingdom

Im not condoning it. But they have to save face somehow after the shuttle program was ended and all those folks lost their jobs. So I guess this is their way of trying to look good.

Yes, I think you're right.

Just another failed government agency trying to justify its existence.

I really wish that wasn't the case. I wish instead they were achieving something and telling us about that. Not glorifying the fact that there will be no more shuttles, and no way for us to send our people to the International Space Station that we paid how much for?

TCD

So anywho.... for anyone interested, here's more from Orlando Attractions Magazine. Follow the link for the video...

Last flight of a space shuttle orbiter, Endeavour leaves for California via Disney World

Sep 192012 Filed under: Kennedy Space Center, Video, Walt Disney World Posted by: Don Gworek

flyout.jpg

Space shuttle orbiter Endeavour left the Kennedy Space Center at dawn this morning. It was the last time an orbiter flew over Florida. Endeavour left for its new home, the California Science Center in Los Angeles.

We have video here of Endeavour beginning the flight:

Endeavour flew west, right over Walt Disney World, as seen in video here:

front.jpg

A few days earlier Endeavour was moved from the VAB and mounted on the 747.

nose.jpg

One of the three mount points, at the nose.

rear.jpg

The two rear mount points.

mountsdiscovery.jpg

The orbiter mounts to the 747 through these hatches, as seen on shuttle Discovery at the Smithsonian. The same mount points held the orbiter to the external tank. The hatches slammed shut when the external tank was released.

rearmounts.jpg

inside747.jpg

Here’s a look inside the 747, as seen in 1997.

747line.jpg

Line to walk through the 747 at a 1997 NASA employee open house.

tail.jpg

The last time the tail cone is being used. It reduces aerodynamic drag in the flight.

tailcone.jpg

The tail cone was stored in the VAB (Vehicle Assembly Building) after the last flights of Discovery and Enterprise.

worker.jpg

The worker seen at center is on an access bridge equivalent to the one seen in the foreground.

credits.jpg

The flight crew.

sideview.jpg

overtrees.jpg

It was impressive to see Endeavour rising over the trees as the 747 taxied to the other end of the runway.

orbiter.jpg

hundreds.jpg

Hundreds of guests watched from the Shuttle Landing Facility.

shirtback.jpg

http://attractionsmagazine.com/blog/2012/09/19/last-flight-of-a-space-shuttle-orbiter-endeavour-leaves-for-california-via-disney-world/#more-14106