Gluten Free Dining Options and Recipes

Some of us have a need to eat gluten free and others might choose to do so for a variety of reason, but I didn't see a lot of information here yet about gluten free dining options.

Our oldest son found out at age 16 that he could no longer eat gluten. This was a tragedy for a kid used to eating things like hamburgers, pizza, chicken nuggets, pancakes, waffles, and most importantly, Mom's home made fresh bread.

We were pleased to find out during our past two trips to the world that many of the restaurants offer some great gluten free meal options and will go out of their way to make this a non-issue. Our best surprises came from the Hoop De Doo Review where the server went back into the kitchen and wrangled up some hot dogs (no rolls) that would have been part of the meals served next door at Trails End.

Another huge surprise was the on demand service at the food courts in Pop Century. We expected some run of the mill prefabricated options that would be heated up. Instead we were met by the chef who came out of the kitchen to speak directly with me regarding my son's diet and asked "What would he like?" I never expected that and said he would really like some pancakes or waffles for breakfast and fried chicken for dinner.

We were served some of the best gluten free waffles, made to order within minutes while we waited that morning and some melt in your mouth fried chicken that tasted "normal" and had some of the best texture that you would imagine. Anyone who has had to eat gluten free knows that texture is a big part of the GF diet. Nothing really matches the consistency of gluten, and most GF meals have an odd after taste.

I am posting what we think is the closest we can get to the GF pancake/waffle recipe. It is a buttermilk recipe and that seems to make all the difference. Actually, the only real GF part of this is the flour mixture that would be substituted for your favorite buttermilk pancake recipe:

In advance mix up:

1cup Rice Flour

1cup Tapioca Flour

1cup Cornstarch

1 tsp Potato Flour

Then use this mix as a substitute for conventional flour in your favorite waffle/pancake batter recipe with buttermilk. For whatever reason, the buttermilk is critical and improves the consistency to match closely to what regular pancakes and waffles are like. It also seems to improve the taste (we also add vanilla to ours).

In the future I have some GF cake mixes I can pull together if anyone is interested.

Pop Century has always been awesome for us for food allergies (DS is peanut/tree nut and grew out of egg) and Chef Dan and Pop made me never want to leave!

Sorry to hear your son has to be gluten free, I know some of the gluten free stuff is not the best tasting.

• 3 months later...

The best option is to ask for a supervisor or manager at each restaurant. My daughter was diagnosed at 2. We have found Disney has made a great effort to assist her every time we go to eat. They have expanded their options and normally don't charge extra for a gluten free meal. (Except at the pizza restaurant at Hollywood studios, due to the cost of a personal gluten free pizza is not cheap, which we gladly spent the extra two dollars as we are used to it at the local grocery store)We have yet to find a restaurant at the parks or hotels that can't or won't accommodate you.