Disney pulling movies from Netflix

1 hour ago, shoreline99 said:

My limited understanding of this deal is that overtures had been made several times from Disney to Netflix, as either a partnership or a straight buyout, and they were rebuffed.

So, they set up their own gig (which is basically where they were headed with Disney Movies Anywhere)

Interesting.  Netflix is killing it these days, so I suppose they figured "nah, we're good."

59 minutes ago, Travisma said:

Or be like Jeff Bezos, become partners with a company, study the way they do things the best, implement those ways in your own company, then kick them to the curb.

Hah!  Now that is an excellent point.  Although ... see "poor IT implementations" 

Here's hoping Disney builds this better than some of their other recent technology-based efforts.  (eek)

27 minutes ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

Interesting.  Netflix is killing it these days, so I suppose they figured "nah, we're good."

Hah!  Now that is an excellent point.  Although ... see "poor IT implementations" 

Here's hoping Disney builds this better than some of their other recent technology-based efforts.  (eek)

You mean MDE and FP?  The two greatest IT inventions in modern times, along with their on line and call in reservation systems?

5 hours ago, shoreline99 said:

My limited understanding of this deal is that overtures had been made several times from Disney to Netflix, as either a partnership or a straight buyout, and they were rebuffed.

So, they set up their own gig (which is basically where they were headed with Disney Movies Anywhere)

Disney needs to find a replacement for Iger that understands the changing markets they operate in. Someone like Netflix CEO Reed Hastings would be well positioned to move Disney into the new distribution channels. I also suspect would be enough of a carrot to get him to seriously consider an offer for Netflix. 

30 minutes ago, keith_h said:

Disney needs to find a replacement for Iger that understands the changing markets they operate in. Someone like Netflix CEO Reed Hastings would be well positioned to move Disney into the new distribution channels. I also suspect would be enough of a carrot to get him to seriously consider an offer for Netflix. 

There are also those that believe the Disney move is a red herring, and that the announcement was to force further negotiations with Netflix, but so far nothing has come of it.

25 minutes ago, shoreline99 said:

There are also those that believe the Disney move is a red herring, and that the announcement was to force further negotiations with Netflix, but so far nothing has come of it.

Could be FUD. Normally a company isn't going to announce something like this two years out and potentially lose the revenue stream in the interim. I'm sure you saw that Netflix share value didn't change but Disney's dropped in reaction to the announcement. Not something that will go over well in the new Disney.