Our apple tree has been EXTREMELY prolific this summer. Enjoy our favorite Apple Crisp and Apple Butter recipes below.
(4 servings, can be doubled)
6 apples - peeled, cored and sliced*
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup quick oats
3/4 cup AP flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup cold butter
1. Preheat oven to 35 degrees.
2. Toss apples with sugar and 1/2 tsp cinnamon to coat; pour in to 9" square pan (if doubling recipe, use 9x13 pan).
3. Mix brown sugar, oats, flour, and remaining 1 tsp cinnamon in a separate bowl. Use a pastry cutter or two forks to mash butter into the oats mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs. Spread over the apples to the edges of the baking dish. Pat the topping gently until even coverage.
4. Bake in preheated oven until sides are bubbling, about 40 minutes.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
Instant Pot Apple Butter:
Yield: 3-4 pints
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup apple cider (NOT apple juice)
1/2 tsp ground allspice
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 whole cinnamon sticks
5-6 lbs (or more) apples*
1. Add all ingredients to IP insert except apples and cinnamon sticks.
2. Core and slice unpeeled apples into 6-8 pieces and add to bowl. Add enough apples to fill IP insert to "MAX" line.
3. Pat down well. Stick cinnamon sticks down into apples.
4. Cover IP and turn vent to "Sealing". Set IP to "Manual" for 8 minutes at High. When cycle is complete, let pressure release naturally for 15-20 minutes and then manually release remaining pressure.
5. Take off lid and carefully remove cinnamon sticks from apples.
6. Use an immersion blender until mixture becomes smooth, You can also use a food processor or blender, in batches. Be sure not to fill blender more than half full. Add blended mixture back to IP.
7. Turn IP to sauté and push the 'adjust' button to LESS'. Simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring constantly, until thickened to desired consistency.
8. Turn off IP and let cool . Store in an airtight container and refrigerator for up to 3 weeks or freeze for up to 6 months.
* Our apple tree is a Macoun, which is awesome for both of these recipes, but you can use whatever type you like.