Are fuel prices going to affect your camping or the industry?

At what price of gas do you decide on parking the RV or even sell it?

I am a family of 6 and camping with our trailer is the only way we can afford to go anywhere. We pack it and go. No need to eat out since we just bring it with us. My wife is a coupon Queen so she knows how to shop for food at a minimum, but with the price of fuel and my Tow vehicle only getting 8 mpg we just don?t know what we are going to do. :banana:

I was wondering if this was a concern for anyone else, and how bad are fuel prices going to affect the industry?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fuel price almost killed the industry a few yrs ago I can see it taking out even more this time. It seemed it was making a good comeback till now.

I don't know if it will kill towing but it will sure put a crimp in it. Its hard to justify paying $4.00 a gal to go somewhere for a weekend, longer duration trips with less overall trips seems to be the ticket.

Hell, I may have to use the WDW busses to save some fuel. :banana:

It definitely hurts the rv biz. The only thing I see campgrounds can do is offer incentives but how much room can they work with? Most places don't charge that much to begin with. It is going to be a hard road. Personally I will try and save fuel by doing all my tasks in one trip. We have been spoiled to have gas as cheap as we have but as a whole this is going to slow the economy down again.

It won't affect our local camping trips, but with rumored gas prices of $5-7 by summer, that could definitely affect our trip to the Fort this fall.  We live a little over 1500 miles from the Fort so a round trip of 3000 miles at about 10 mpg would be between $1500 and $2100 for gas alone!!!  Compare that to about $750 for our trip last year.  I'm sad to say it, but that could be a deal breaker for us, especially since we are hoping to move south by the end of the year.  At those prices, I can wait...

It won't affect our local camping trips, but with rumored gas prices of $5-7 by summer, that could definitely affect our trip to the Fort this fall. 

At $5-$7 a gallon, that could affect my going to WORK!!!!  ;)

It won't affect our local camping trips, but with rumored gas prices of $5-7 by summer, that could definitely affect our trip to the Fort this fall. 

At $5-$7 a gallon, that could affect my going to WORK!!!!  ;)

I didn't think of that!!!  Holy Hannah!  You're right.  At least my car gets better gas mileage than our truck with our TC.

I know it is already affecting a local RV dealer here. The owner came to us and asked if he could put a trailer on our lot because we have more visibility.

As far as affecting our camping I feel like if I am paying for the motorhome I am going to use the damn thing. Might night make as many trips as usual but will still take her out.

It won't affect our local camping trips, but with rumored gas prices of $5-7 by summer, that could definitely affect our trip to the Fort this fall.  We live a little over 1500 miles from the Fort so a round trip of 3000 miles at about 10 mpg would be between $1500 and $2100 for gas alone!!!  Compare that to about $750 for our trip last year.  I'm sad to say it, but that could be a deal breaker for us, especially since we are hoping to move south by the end of the year.  At those prices, I can wait...

;) SAY IT ISN"T SO! We always make a labor day weekend, and I was extra excited that Lil Lisa was on the calendar! Too shorties tearing up the fort!!  :dance: Let's keep our fingers, toes, legs(OK, not my legs :banana:)....crossed that it won't get that bad. Start saving those pennies!!!

;) SAY IT ISN"T SO! We always make a labor day weekend, and I was extra excited that Lil Lisa was on the calendar! Too shorties tearing up the fort!!  :dance: Let's keep our fingers, toes, legs(OK, not my legs :banana:)....crossed that it won't get that bad. Start saving those pennies!!!

I've got 'em all crossed.  I wanna go so bad!!! 

I hate to say it but.. You might have to drive the car down and rent a trailer? It may be cheaper the hauling yours down. Idk  :-\ I want to meet you too. Then again are the plans to move down here with us a sure thing?  I could see the reason for waiting! just food for thought... batman.gif

I hate to say it but.. You might have to drive the car down and rent a trailer? It may be cheaper the hauling yours down. Idk  :-\ I want to meet you too. Then again are the plans to move down here with us a sure thing?  I could see the reason for waiting! just food for thought... batman.gif

Unfortunately, I don't think that the camper rental places allow dogs and that is our reason for camping.  We don't leave home without 'em.  :banana: 

You guys are making me feel guilty about rethinking our plans...  OK.  I will make it happen come hell or high gas prices!!! (This is why it is a good thing I am not a mother...  I give in too easy!)  :dance:

As far as the move goes, if all goes according to plan, then this will be our last winter here in Minn-e-snow-tah.  ;)

It will keep us more close to home...probably.

We made the trip to Destin, Fl from here in Ohio a few years ago when diesel was over $4.00/gallon or more and it really put a dent in our pockets just in the diesel cost!

We've got some great state parks in Ohio and some are really close so we'll just use those if we have too.

1.  The TT is paid for so  local trips will continue to happen; gas is insignificant for a 10 - 50 mile trip.

2  I did some math and in order for the cost of a WDW vacation to become more"economic" by flying and staying in a hotel rather than driving and camping, gas would have to be $25/gallon!  This is taking into account flight, a cabin or a deluxe hotel (if I am giving up FW it ain't gonna be for an All Star) and rental car.  I even paid myself $1000 for the time driving to and from the fort to offset the time spent traveling.  I didn't even factor in the money we save by eating in the camper!

1.  The TT is paid for so  local trips will continue to happen; gas is insignificant for a 10 - 50 mile trip.

2  I did some math and in order for the cost of a WDW vacation to become more"economic" by flying and staying in a hotel rather than driving and camping, gas would have to be $25/gallon!  This is taking into account flight, a cabin or a deluxe hotel (if I am giving up FW it ain't gonna be for an All Star) and rental car.  I even paid myself $1000 for the time driving to and from the fort to offset the time spent traveling.  I didn't even factor in the money we save by eating in the camper!

We stayed in the All Star ONCE...never again! Gross!

Unfortunately, I don't think that the camper rental places allow dogs and that is our reason for camping.  We don't leave home without 'em.  ;) 

You guys are making me feel guilty about rethinking our plans...  OK.  I will make it happen come hell or high gas prices!!! (This is why it is a good thing I am not a mother...  I give in too easy!)  :D

As far as the move goes, if all goes according to plan, then this will be our last winter here in Minn-e-snow-tah.  :D

:rofl2: Yay! We guilted you into it!!!!! Hey, whatever it takes :))

Unfortunately, I don't think that the camper rental places allow dogs and that is our reason for camping.  We don't leave home without 'em.  ;) 

You guys are making me feel guilty about rethinking our plans...  OK.  I will make it happen come hell or high gas prices!!! (This is why it is a good thing I am not a mother...  I give in too easy!)  :D

As far as the move goes, if all goes according to plan, then this will be our last winter here in Minn-e-snow-tah.  :D

:rofl2: Yay! We guilted you into it!!!!! Hey, whatever it takes :))

:));) >:D >:D >:D

You guys are making me feel guilty about rethinking our plans...  OK.  I will make it happen come hell or high gas prices!!! (This is why it is a good thing I am not a mother...  I give in too easy!)  :rofl2:

As far as the move goes, if all goes according to plan, then this will be our last winter here in Minn-e-snow-tah.  :partythree:

??? Yay! We guilted you into it!!!!! Hey, whatever it takes :))

>:D >:D >:D >:D >:D

What can I say...  I have a weakness when it comes to meeting Fiends.  :heart:

This spring and summer we will be staying at nearby CGs and state parks to keep the fuel costs down. We then will be able to keep our trip to Tennessee in September but will need to move our  routine November trip to the Fort to March 2012 (in order to keep the budget intact). That's the plan for now..I am sure it will need to be tweaked! (I just hope the gas never gets as high as they are projecting! :partythree:)

It's just another version of my out-of-control Murphy's Law. When gas was reasonable, DH was working and getting even a week off was a major endeavor. Now that he'll be home 24/7 til death do us part, gas prices skyrocket so we can't get far.

The key to whether it'll stop me is in the preceeding sentence though - he's home 24/7now 365 days a year! - No way am I gonna let some bozo oil sheik make me put up with being trapped in this friggin house surrounded by my loving family forever.  Distractions, we need massive distractions... grab your coats everyone... wanna hand me those car keys?  :partythree:

We learned the hard way last year that letting the camper sit (it is a diesel) instead of using it was a BAD idea.  I will scrimp, save, put aside, do what I have to use it because I am not paying to fix it and be on the side of the road again like we were at Thanksgiving.  Hell, we are even having to go to court.  It is not worth it for all the hassle to let the camper sit.  Selling it is not an option because I know I will NEVER, EVER, get the deal I have.  We love our RV.  I will go stay at that place Lorna picked out and stare at the sewer plant again.  I don't care.  I did splurge and pay for a premium site last weekend, but it will be quite a long while before I do that again.  We put over 200 bucks in the tank and the tank laughed back at me.  So did my Mobil card!