We are planning our first trip to visit the Charleston area this fall.  We are looking to spend maybe 3-4 nights at Hunting Island and maybe 3-4 nights at James Island.  Any suggestions as to specific sites, area attractions, restaurants, etc?  Or, are there better campgrounds in the area?  Any info would be appreciated.  Thanks!!!!

We were just at Tybee Island which is supposed to be the closest CG to Savannah (about 20-30 minutes). It is a little "quaint" and it is owned by the city. The sites are a little close and arranged "different", but we would return again and it is only a 3 block walk to the beach and there are plenty of good resturants. We have never been to the two CG's that you mentioned.

Here's the link to the thread I had in Pics of other CG.

http://www.fortfiends.net/forum/topic/10542-tybee-island-ga/

EDIT: Forgot to mention that Oak Plantation which is South of Charleston is a very nice CG also, very short drive.

As a charleston local, I can offer a little advice. James Island County Park campground is probably your best option if you plan to visit the city. The rest are questionable or really far away. Also, you're close to Folly Beach there. If you can make it around the holidays, they have a giant light festival.

Good food is much easier to find here than good campgrounds. It really depends what you like, but I'd try and stay away from the tourist traps like Hymans, Bubba Gump, Tbonez, etc. For good, fried seafood I like The Wreck of Richard and Charlene, but take cash. No credit cards or checks accepted. It's no frills, but great and fresh. Also Sullivan's on Sullivan's island is a local spot with classic dishes, huge portions and family friendly. For non-seafood your choices are limitless. I'm a fan of Leaf, Husk, and Blossom.

Enjoy you trip and let me know if you have any question!

Since you may be staying on James Island, I suggest that you go out to the point of the island and visit the area where the first shot of the Civil War was fired from at Fort Johnson.  Admittedly, there is not much to see as there is only one building remaining of the fort, and only a monument to mark the area the shot was fired from, but it's good to visit if you are interested in that sort of thing.  Everyone seems to know that the first shot was fired at Fort Sumter, but few actually know where that shot came from.  The Charleston and Savannah areas are steeped in history and if you have any interests along those lines, you are going to the right place. 

Thanks for the suggestions.  We are trying to fine tune plans but it looks like our dates will be  the last week of September or first week of October.  Any special events going on at that time?  We definitely plan on checking out some of the Forts and doing some walking and bike tours to see the historical districts.  Any particular tour better than the other?

Thanks for the suggestions.  We are trying to fine tune plans but it looks like our dates will be  the last week of September or first week of October.  Any special events going on at that time?  We definitely plan on checking out some of the Forts and doing some walking and bike tours to see the historical districts.  Any particular tour better than the other?

Of course you wouldn't want to miss touring The Battery downtown.  We took our bikes downtown and rode the length of it. There are so many historical sites downtown that you need guidance to see them.  We stopped in at the Visitors Reception & Transportation Center at 375 Meeting Street, right across the street from the Charleston Museum and picked up some self-guidance pamphlets which were very helpful.  The Battery has to be one of the most beautiful places in the country.

One of the homes along S. Battery St.

DSC04069_zps482f3dd5.jpg

Wow!!!  The Battery looks amazing.  I googled it for more info and it is one place we will definitely check out.  Question.  Would it be easier for us to bring our own bikes or is there a place to rent them?  Where could we park the truck for the day while we are exploring on our bikes?

Wow!!!  The Battery looks amazing.  I googled it for more info and it is one place we will definitely check out.  Question.  Would it be easier for us to bring our own bikes or is there a place to rent them?  Where could we park the truck for the day while we are exploring on our bikes?

We were there in mid October and had no trouble finding a parking spot along the waterfront on Murray Blvd.  We trucked the bikes to there and then rode around exploring.  Many of the nicest homes are along the waterfront and the whole place is mostly bike friendly.  I did not see any bikes for rent, but then again, we were not looking for that.  Waterfront Park is really beautiful and is a nice place to rest or eat a picnic lunch.

We did not go to Beaufort as we came up from the South and had spent time in Savannah, so Charleston was our last stop on the coast.  Savannah is another place similiar to Charleston and, like many places on the East coast, also very steeped in history.

There are places to rent bikes all over, but it wouldn't hurt to bring your own. Outside of the battery, be careful riding your bike downtown. It's illegal to ride on the sidewalks and traffic can get a little crazy. I've seen many riders hit on meeting and king. They're major streets for us as we'll as historic touristy spots.

Parking is indeed free along the battery. I would avoid parking on the harbor side of the street though unless you're sure you won't be there still at high tide. You may end up with salt water splashed all over your car.

Parking on city streets otherwise is a tedious process. If you can fit in a garage, I'd highly recommend spending the money. Imsee so many tickets everyday. Locals know how to play the parki g game, but it can be confusing about districts and zones for a visitor. Tickets in residential areas start at $25, FYI.

I think Beaufort has some great things to see, but it's a little out of the way and can be seen pretty quickly. I might skip it in favor of charleston or savannah. It'll take you longer to get there than it will to see everything.

Hi. I'm from Beaufort. As PP said, Beaufort is a bit out of the way from Savannah and Charleston. Beaufort is South Carolina's second oldest city so there are some old houses here just like Charleston. If you come here, take a carriage tour, visit Bay St. and the waterfront park, visit Parris Island's museum or go out to Hunting Island State Park and see the lighthouse. Dockside Restaurant in Port Royal, which is located on the lower end of Beaufort, is a good place to eat.

Another Charleston fan here. I second the James Island county park campground. I've not been yet but hear that it's nice. Also second the recommendation for The Wreck, one of my favorite places to eat and watch the boats on Shem Creek. We also like visiting Charlestowne Landing State Park and Fort Moultrie on Sullivan's Island. And Patriot's Point if you like big ships and/or military history. And Sunday morning is a good time to go biking in the downtown/historic area, especially if you get up early. Sullivan's Island is also a nice place to bike in the off season/weekdays.

So far it looks like we will head out early on Sunday, September 29th.  It's about 500 miles from here (middle TN) to Savannah.  First stop, Hunting Island for 3 nights, then on to Charleston for 3 nights at James Island.  Hoping to do a lot of exploring by bicycle and foot.  Mainly the historic districts, forts, cemeteries and parks. 

Any reviews of Hominy Grill, Tatooed Moose, Jestine's, Rita's, or Taco Boy.  We are not really big fans of seafood.

Thanks again!!

Wow. You really did your research.

Hominy Grill is good, but get there early. It fills up quick with visitors in the know and Medical University Faculty during the week and locals for brunch on the weekends. It's gotten a little crazy since it was on a bunch of Food Network shows, but it's definitely worth the early morning for some of their good breakfast. I think the one I enjoy is "The Big Ugly Biscuit" or something along those lines.

Tatooed Moose is... unique. NOT somewhere I'd take my kids. It's more of a bar than a restaurant, but man are those duck fat fries good. It's greasy, it's messy, but it's delicious. And the beer is great.

Jestine's is fine. Old school Charleston. If you want traditional southern food, give it a shot. Great backstory behind it, too. The fried pork chops and fried chicken are great. Don't miss the lowcountry/southern desserts.

I have, shockingly, never eaten at Rita's. Friends like it, but I see a lot of "Drinks at Rita's" Facebook posts.

Taco Boy. Meh. It's the home of the $4 taco. It's unique, but I think way overpriced for bad service. I go there because it's 2 blocks from work, but I always leave wondering how I spent $20 on a few tacos.

Overall, great choices. Definitely some of the better places. I'd also recommend Husk. It's Charleston Casual and one of Sean Brock's (James Beard award winning chef) casual places. Make reservations NOW, though.

Thanks Brent!!  I really appreciate all your feed back and ideas.  I looked at Husk and Blossom but my husband doesn't like "fancy" restaurants, ie, ones with tablecloths or where you need reservations, lol.  Will have to save that one for a girls trip.  No children with us on this trip just our adult daughter and she refuses to eat at any "chain" restaurants on vacation, on local fare.