LOL Well I guess we all know now. I actually got caught trying to refill a old mug at the fort in 09. They told me no more refills in that cup.

I had one CM at T.E. try to tell me I couldn't use my lifetime mug.  He looked about 18 years old and was wearing the "Earning My Ears" ribbon.  I told him that my mug was older than he was and to show me where it stated on the mug "good for length of stay".  He actually looked and then told me he'd never seen one that didn't say that.  I told him that he now knew what a lifetime mug looked like.  He called another CM over to look at the mug and to question if my mug was "valid".  The CM was Paulette ( :rofl2:) who then (to the shock of the kid) walked over and gave me a huge hug.  She told the kid if he wanted to know anything about F.W. to remember who I was and to ask me.  I damned near wet my pants over that one!!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL Well I guess we all know now. I actually got caught trying to refill a old mug at the fort in 09. They told me no more refills in that cup.

I had one CM at T.E. try to tell me I couldn't use my lifetime mug.  He looked about 18 years old and was wearing the "Earning My Ears" ribbon.  I told him that my mug was older than he was and to show me where it stated on the mug "good for length of stay".  He actually looked and then told me he'd never seen one that didn't say that.  I told him that he now knew what a lifetime mug looked like.  He called another CM over to look at the mug and to question if my mug was "valid".  The CM was Paulette ( :rofl2:) who then (to the shock of the kid) walked over and gave me a huge hug.  She told the kid if he wanted to know anything about F.W. to remember who I was and to ask me.  I damned near wet my pants over that one!!

Respect bump for that one, Deb!  :argh:

All hail the Queen!!! 

• 8 months later...

OH NO!! I have heard the following from several different people who work at WDW (neighbors of mine). Saratoga Springs has started micro-chipping their mugs and I was told the Lodge was doing the same thing. We haven't been to any resorts since September and cannot verify this first hand. Anyone have the "411" on this?

OH NO!! I have heard the following from several different people who work at WDW (neighbors of mine). Saratoga Springs has started micro-chipping their mugs and I was told the Lodge was doing the same thing. Anyone have the "411" on this?

It's not actually a micro chip, it's RFID technology and Disney, just like most other companies, have been using it for years in many different areas. Soft drinks being one of the latest. The Genie is out of the bottle.

The soft drink test started at the All-Stars resort and I anticipate that it will be property wide before too long.

Look for it in other areas as well. All CM ID cards & every costume has RFID tags embedded in them, works great.

Park tickets, room keys, & fast passes are also good uses for the technology.

When we were at All Stars before the cruise in September they had the microchipped mugs. I will say when we used them it would come up with a date that they were good until on the screen. I think it was about 10 days. We only stayed one night, however I will say we saw people filling any and all cups without any issues. They did have certain color mugs that were only available at All Stars. We went to many different resorts while we were there and nobody else had those colors.

Ok...so now "begs" the next question....I suppose you will have to buy new mugs each time you visit a resort? Will there be a discount rate to re-RFID an existing mug? I'm thinking about those people who stay at FtW for months at a time and have to re-register every 30 days. Of course, I'm thinking of myself here, too! ;) ETA - I think I've gotten my money's worth out of the lifetime mug but, for the few people left that actually have them, they should honor them. It's not like WDW is paying for the Coke syrup or NesCrape'.

What is the current cost of mugs at the Fort? We bought two new ones last year...any idea if I can get away with using them again? I may buy another new one too, but would love to use the old ones again. Of course, I'll send one of the kids in to refill those, in case the CM is going to yell about it. I don't need that stress on vacation. :rofl2:

Will there be a discount rate to re-RFID an existing mug? I'm thinking about those people who stay at FtW for months at a time and have to re-register every 30 days.

Good questions.

You're assuming that you will be able to reload the mug. I haven't seen anything on that yet, still early.

I hope for Disney's sake they allow it or I'm thinking you'll start an "Occupy WDW" movement.

It's not like WDW is paying for the Coke syrup or NesCrape'.

Between this comment, which BTW is true but as with a lot of Disney mis-information, is not the whole story, and the free candy thing, I'm sensing hostility Deb.

Good questions.

You're assuming that you will be able to reload the mug. I haven't seen anything on that yet, still early.

I hope for Disney's sake they allow it.

I talked to several people, management types while I was there over Halloween and that very idea is being presented to the higher ups. The idea of reloading your cup upon check in is on the table.

I, for one, am not in favor of this at all, because from what I am seeing, it is costing more for Disney to patrol and monitor this than the money they are so called losing on theis whole deal. however, I don't have the numbers in front of me to compare, I just see what I see. There are a lot of CM man hours being wasted patrolling and a lot of money being used to pay bean counters and manufacturers to make machines to counteract this. In the long run,will it pay off? That is the big question that I would love to have answered.