As we are going to be getting our pop up soon, thanks to all the fiends involved in this, Especially Doodle and Mike!, We need a tow vehicle. It only weighs around 1600 lbs but I know that is more than our Hyundai Elantra could ever tow. LOL

Anyone have opinions on Ford Expeditions.  We arent looking for an every day driver, towing the camper, trips to the hardware store and as a backup vehicle in case Sil's Elantra needs to go in the shop.

I found this one on Ebay. What do you knowledgable people think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1997-Ford-Expedition-XLT-Sport-Utility-4-Door-5-4L-low-mileage-/231051268585?_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&forcev4exp=true#v4-47

We've been rearranging our tow vehicle vs trailer for awhile now......I don't think you'll have any problems with that as a tow vehicle. Are you looking for 4x4 only? 

Not really. just trying to find something that will do the job in the $2-3000 range

edited to add that has a back seat.

If the motor and transmission are in decent shape, this should tow your pop up fine.  For a '97 that is not a lot of miles.  Keep the oil changed! 

We have a history of buying 4-5 year old suburbans, because the DW likes suburbans, they fit all the grandkids, and tow our 22 ft Terry fine.  I try to get them with about 100k miles, drive them to about 250 or 300k and then sell them for enough to make a downpayment on the next one.  Works out fine so far.  The current one will be towing (Lord willing!) our camper to the Fort the end of Jan, with about 165k miles on it, so far! 

It looks solid, not sure about gas milage, you may want to check that out.  Have you thought about a mini van?

Mini vans are not very good tow vehicles. Stick with a real truck.

Mini vans are not very good tow vehicles. Stick with a real truck.

What do you think of an Expedition. I would prefer not a Mini-van. If I was going to get one I would probably get a full size fan. I want the cargo space for runs to Home Depot. 

What do you think of an Expedition. I would prefer not a Mini-van. If I was going to get one I would probably get a full size fan. I want the cargo space for runs to Home Depot. 

I like my trucks, but some people prefer the mini vans, not judging.  I think the expedition would serve you well with the low milage.  Cargo vans are also a good option, you can find them cheap.

An Expedition could pull the hell out of a 1600 lb pup.

1600lbs isn't that much to tow. Expedition should work fine. I'm a fan of Chevys and gmcs. If you can find one with the tow option. The ones that have an actual button you push not just a ball in the back. The toe option allows the transmission to rev higher and wint shift between gears as much saving wear and tear on the tranny.

I think for a pop up an Exp would tow it fine.  Ours is rated 930 on the hitch and about 9100 total (2012).  I did tow a 31' TT with it once.  Once. 

Trouble was the P rated tires and short wheelbase, not an EL, combined with a 30'+ TT.  Talk about unstable.  Was fantastic at 45/50mph, past that on the freeway and it was white knuckles.  Least it was only from the storage lot to the house.

I tow a Coleman Taos behind a 08 outback and it does perfect. Why are you looking at full sized suvs, since your popup is so light?

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4

I am not necessarily looking at full sized SUVs or trucks, this one happened to be available in the price range I am hoping to stay within. Also I don't mind a larger vehicle as I do want to fit things like new kitchen cabinets and other items I will need when start on the next big projects around the house. If I could find a half Tom truck in my price range with a back seat for the dog I would be all over that.