Air just tripled... let's talk Amtrak

I need a fort break bad. DD12 needs it worse. Due to very unexpected events, combined with a major lack of planning & organization this season by those we pay to be responsible, the cheer schedule that was responsible for us not going to the Halloween GG has been cancelled.

I've been checking air every single day for the last two weeks. Yesterday morning it tripled. Last night, the rest of the cheer season was cancelled. It shouldn't be a surprise, as games and competitions cancelled at the last minute have sadly become the norm this year. Still, we gave up ToT at the fort to be responsible parents and now we find out the leaders could care less about honoring their responsibilities to the girls. I'm kicking myself for not telling them to shove it and booking southwest last week.

After lots of number crunching, our budget wont allow us to fly next week. I just can't rationalize it. I can still - as of this moment at any rate - afford Amtrak though. Amtrak is roughly the same price as gas to drive it alone in my van. So, for those of you who have taken the train...

How bad was it? We'd be looking at 19 hrs on the rails in coach seats. 

How far is the Orlando train station from the fort?

I could rent a car, but is there a better/cheaper option?

Is it worth it for 2-3 days at the fort without DH and Starla?  We wouldn't be doing parks, just hanging with my fiends...

Pam, have you looked at the auto train? It leaves from Lorton, va. My parents take it all the time.

My dad took the train from fl to Trenton in coach, he ended up sitting with some totally undesirable people. He ended up asking to be moved and then sat with some Amish people and had a much more enjoyable ride.

Have you looked into frontier airline?

I hope something works out so you can go.

That royally sucks about what happened.

I'm thinking by the time I take the auto train, I'd spend just as much as I would flying. Frontier flies from BWI but I'm checking Dulles & Reagan for SW so will check on Frontier too. Problem is, the only non-stops on SW are from BWI so DC airports mean cooling my heels for hours in ATL...

Frontier only flies into MCO from Trenton and Philly. Rates still looked good but sadly, they only fly MCO on Tuesdays & Saturdays.

I'm thinking by the time I take the auto train, I'd spend just as much as I would flying. Frontier flies from BWI but I'm checking Dulles & Reagan for SW so will check on Frontier too. Problem is, the only non-stops on SW are from BWI so DC airports mean cooling my heels for hours in ATL...

Not sure what dates you are looking at but did you check allegiant out of harrisburg? 

Although they fly into Sanford not MCO. 

I took the train from Tampa to almost Miami a couple of years ago.

Not as long of a trip that you have planned.

I had a large comfortable reclining seat to myself.

They allow you to bring your own food and drink, and each seat had an electrical outlet.

At that time it was cheaper to take the train then it was for the gas in my truck.

Last Feb., Loretta, Kimmie (KFK), and I took the Amtrak from Columbia, SC to Kissimmee, FL.  We were blessed that Loretta's good friends picked us up at the train station and brought us back there on Monday.  I am not sure how much it would cost to rent a car or take a taxi back and forth.

Advantages:

Cheaper than flying

Able to sleep while traveling (unlike driving)

No need to stop for rest stops

No smoking on the train.

Since there will only be two of you, you will sit together.  It was hard for the three of us to converse, but not for two of us sitting together to talk.  Also, you would know the person you are sitting next to.

The seats recline, including there is a foot rest that you can pull out from under the seat in front of you.  Bring your own small pillow and blanket and wear comfortable clothes. 

We brought our own food and drinks.

Disadvantages:

There can be undesirables in your train car.  There is not a conductor in every car.  When a fight broke out in our car on the way home (stupid teenaged boys with no adult supervision), I had to go through a few cars before I found a conductor to come break it up.

There can be delays.  We got to Kissimmee a few hours late, so ended up buying lunch in the dining car.

No smoking on the train.  They do have scheduled extended stops at a few stations, so smokers can get off and have a quick smoke.  For one young man we met on the way down, this was not nearly often enough, esp. with the delays we encountered.

Would I do it again?  Yes!  It was an adventure.  If you have enough time, can work out transport to and from the station, and are up for an adventure, why not try it?

Very well said Marty!  We had a great time and got to know each other on the way down.  They do have sleeper cars.  Have you looked at the cost there?  We got off in Kissimmee not Orlando, it was closer for my friend and she said closer to the Fort.  The smell took some getting used to and I am sure it could get a lot worse.  It really wasn't too bad.  The hardest part for me...the bathroom.  As hard as I tried with the delay I couldn't hold it the 12 hours, and the BR was gross.  Would I do it again?  YEP, we had a good time!

yay! I knew the wild wimmenz would be able to give me honest insight. That ride sounded like so much fun. I really wish I'd been able to join in the excitement.

My family teases me about stopping at every rest stop so that would be huge for me. lol I live on diet coke and caffiene. No way would either DD12 or I make it 12 hours without visiting stall number 2.

I'm still playing with numbers today. DH thinks I shouldn't take my van that far before some repairs are made. It's a totally impractical idea but way better than laying carpet and painting the bedroom here at home...