When I flew out of DFW they told me I had been selected for TSA-precheck. I didn't have to take off my jacket or shoes, empty my pockets, take out my quart bag of liquids. It happened again today when leaving Orlando. The TSA agent showed me where it said TSA pre (check mark) on my boarding pass beside my name. When I looked it up on line it said some airlines are asking their frequent flyers if they want to opt in. I don't remember being asked but it surely did speed up screening, especially at MCO.

http://www.tsa.gov/tsa-precheck/tsa-precheck-faqs

I want pre-check?

Well... It does mean that the airlines share yet more of my information with the government; but, the regular security check line at MCO was all the way back into the main area and there were only three people in front of me in the pre-check line. It was nice not having to take my shoes and coat off and not having to go through the body scan machine so some pervert can sit in a room looking at all of the images. I expect as more people sign up for it, the lines will shift from the full screening lines to the pre-check lines.

Think they just put people at random. My wife was given that opportunity just this morning but I had to go through the old fashioned way. Neither of us fly more than every other year at the most.

• 4 months later...

I'm getting ready to sign up for this as well... for as much as I fly and for all of the crap that carry, it will be well worth the fee and 2 1/2 to 3 hr drive that I have to travel to get certified....   One would think that in the Raleigh/Durham area that there would be a place closer than Wilmington or Morehead City to get checked....  Oh well, I love to drive and it will be a good "mind clearing" trip... 

Your drive will be definitely longer than your appointment!! My appointment took all of 5 minutes. Fill out the form online ahead of time!! I also had to go a bit out of town to register. Mine was at a truck driving school out in the boonies.

Although I have seen TSA Pre-Check registration centers "inside security" at major airports, but never had the time while at an actual airport.