I read that the best way to request a site is by what it offers rather than a number.  Also, it was recommended to me to fax my request.  Here is what I faxed, with my personal info removed:

The fax# for the Fort is: 407-824-3508

Date of fax

TO: Ft. Wilderness Resort and Campground Site Assigner

SUBJECT: Site Request for (Dates of your stay)

RE: Reservation # XXXXXXXXXXXX

I am really looking forward to my stay at the Ft. Wilderness Resort and Campground and am writing about campsite requests. I do understand that these are only requests and cannot be guaranteed.

If possible, I would like a site in Loop XXXX with a site that will accomodate the following: (specify all equipment including screen houses, etc.).  I wish to be in the XXXX loop because (state reasons).

Thanks so much for your help, and once again I?m really looking forward to my visit to Ft. Wilderness Resort and Campground.

If you have any questions, I can be reached at XXX-XXX-XXXX or by email at [email protected]

Sincerely,

Your name

Everyday I debate with myself if I should change to a Premium (dh would KILL me!) or just a full hookup.

We get a premium, just because the sites are bigger and DH can back the fifth wheel in easier! (and so that he doesn't yell at me the entire time he's backing in! LOL)

This is site #215. It is on the inside of the loop. We thought it was just right!

100_5614.jpg

This was site #210. It is on the outside of the loop and we felt it was a tighter fit than #210. (Although our camper was larger we still felt the site itself was more narrow than 210).

2010_11_157.jpg

If you sat at the far side of the picnic table at this site you could just about stretch your arm out and touch the pop-up that was next to us.  :-\

Hope they help. Sorry they are not better. We will make sure next time to get more precise pics of our site!  :banana:

Everyday I debate with myself if I should change to a Premium (dh would KILL me!) or just a full hookup.

We get a premium, just because the sites are bigger and DH can back the fifth wheel in easier! (and so that he doesn't yell at me the entire time he's backing in! LOL)

you realize that being yelled at is part of the camping experience ! It has actually worked for us in the past, the last time i tried to back the 40' monster into one of the less than generous sites, there was so much yelling that a truck driver camping near us came over and backed it in for me.

you realize that being yelled at is part of the camping experience ! It has actually worked for us in the past, the last time i tried to back the 40' monster into one of the less than generous sites, there was so much yelling that a truck driver camping near us came over and backed it in for me.

LOL! I know...sad thing is we even use walkie talkies to back it in and we still argue!

We try and cover all our bases requesting a loop/site.

We have it noted on our reservation, and then 4 days before check-in we fax a request.

Somewhere we were told that the site assigner doesn't look at anything much further out than that, but I can't recall where.

Also, when we put in our request we usually give them our reasons (usually dog related) and our top 3-4 picks.

So far we're batting 100%.  We don't always get our first pick, but we've always gotten one of our top 3.

Keep in mind that WHEN you go (time of year and even day of check in) can have a huge effect on their ability to fill your request. 

Also, the more specific the request you make, the tougher it might be for them to meet it.

That's where giving them reasons (near XYZ, etc.) can help.  If they can't get you into the exact site you want, they can try and find another similar site.

Good luck!

Hope I'm not being repetitive here, but you definitely made the right decision staying with the preferred, IMHO. Then again, it's just that, my opinion. It all depends what you like. I'd gladly take 100-300 any day just to be so close to the Settlement. Being able to walk to the beach for fireworks or to catch the boat and not take the bus is huge. Also, I don't even bother with the refillable mug if I can't walk to fill it.

If you like seclusion, then those loops probably aren't for you, though I think some sites are quieter than others.

Regardless, have a good time and enjoy!