OK, my DH may already know, but he's asleep.  :-[ embarassed to ask this but.....We never sealed our other tent and we have never had a problem, not even a drop of water.  Our new tent, still in the box, I'm guessing should be sealed.  How do you water proof it?  Like I said we have never pre-sealed a tent and we've never had a problem, even with little fingers touching the inside of the tent.  The new tent is so big I don't want to risk it.  Do we set it up and let the hose go to see if it leaks or will that ruin the attempt to seal if we need to seal it?  TIA!!

Here's what I do.

First off set up the tent in the yard when you know your going to have a couple/three of days of warm sunshine. Set it up completely with every point staked out and every guy wire staked out (No sags).

Get a water hose and very lightly mist the tent with water and let dry in the sun. (This will actually shrink the sewing holes and tighten up the "weave" of the fabric.

Then get some seam sealer (It comes in a roller ball applicator (like a bingo dauber).  Liberally apply that to all the seams inside and out. Let dry.

Then liberally spray all of the surfaces on the outside of the tent (except screens) with Spray Fabric protectant.  Wal-Mart carries some in the camping section that is fairly reasonable.  Don't be surprised if it takes 5 or 6 cans depending on the size of your tent.

Let that dry for a day or two, then you are good!!  I apply the spray stuff about once every year.

For a groundcloth, I purchase a roll of 6 mil plastic and cut two sheets the same size as the tent. One goes underneath and one goes inside.

At Fort Wilderness I also put the disposable cheap painters plastic underneath everything and just dispose of that.  The Fort shell stuff gets very sticky underneath there and is hard to clean off.

In the old days with canvas tents, the procedure was to set the tent up, soak with a hose and let it dry. This swelled the fabric up resulting in it being water resistant.  Then use seam sealer. With the new fabrics like dacron or nylon, I don't think there is any need to do anything special. Due to the tight weave, they are naturally water resistant. Might not hurt to set up and wet it to see.  On my last modern fabric tent, I didn't do anything to it and it never leaked except when I rolled over and layed up against it.  I didn't even have to use seam sealer on it. One other suggestion is to make sure you use a rain fly. That is double insurance against leaks.

What about the owner's manual. Anything in there?

As I said before, the biggest key to keeping your tent from gathering water on the inside is setting it up correctly.  Even though most tents today are self supporting they still need all the stakes and guy wires to be used and stretched out for water to drain off properly.  Sagging water collects and will eventually drip.

Also at night, keep a window cracked no matter how cold.  People create lots of moisture just by breathing.

During the day, open that tent up as wide as possible and run fans to help dry out the interior.

Don't touch wet walls from the inside or outside if possible.

Thank You!!  The new tent is still in the box in my hallway!  The boxes are so heavy!!!  LOL!  I want to open it just to look today but we will have to wait until the weekend to set it up.  Big rain coming in today thru tomorrow at least.  Thanks for the info.  I really had no idea and the instructions in our last tent said to seal the seams and waterproof.  No directions on "how to do".  We'll get a chance to use it in just a couple of weeks...spring break soon.

All good advice. Almost all new tents are pretty waterproof from the factory, but in a downpour you will want to have used the seamsealer ahead of time.

Don't forget that most moisture inside a tent is condensation from breathing and sweating inside. That is why the best design is a breathable tent covered by a waterproof rain fly. This allows the tent to breathe and you don't have to worry about touching the inside fabric.

If the tent doesn't have a rainfly then ventilation is key. Use a fan and keep vents or windows open.

:)) :rofl2: :) :) :)