I've lived in Mount Olive Shores North in Polk City since 2003.  We bought property in the development in 2000, rented a pad from March 03 until our house was built in April 04.  I love this area!!  Heavy traffic is when you wait for 4 cars to go by in order to get out on the highway!! :D  We moved here after living in the Sarasota/Bradenton area for 30 years.

• 1 year later...

OK, so I'm continuing to read all through the forum and run across this thread. We'll soon wrap up our third year and I know this thread is old, but did want to comment. As we're full-timers we're not seeing a lot of other, true full-timers out there. Most are grandparents traveling between grandchildren's locations. Not a bad idea, either However, we do run across a number of people that are working from their RV (especially in the petroleum industry). Most will move to a more permanent housing when able. But true people who sold everything (or gave away or some combination of both) are not that common. So here's a few items we'd recommend if your considering true full timing:

1) If you're married, then get marriage counseling BEFORE you go full timing. Probably not a bad idea to do it before retiring, either.

2) Talk long and hard with a financial planner you trust. We started talking in 1984 and moved into the fifth wheel in 2010. Why? Once you sell real estate, virtually everything you own depreciates. That's an expense most people forget to include in their planning. A true financial planner will point this and other things out to you.

3) Keep in mind that you can lose your money just as easily as a stock broker can lose your money.

4) Where to "domicile". I recommend a "no income tax" state. As I write this, if you're a full timer South Dakota wants you! There's other states to consider and you should. And there's books out there for you to read to assist you in making that decision.

5) Momma picks the RV, trailer, etc, floor plan and living accessories. Momma wants a washer/dryer, she gets one. If she wants a combo vs a separate washer/dryer, she gets a combo. Momma wants a convection microwave vs a microwave...well you get the idea. Pops just needs to ensure the RV you're gettin' can handle all that Momma wants.

6) You can just about full time in any size RV.

7) If at all possible, always leave yourself the ability to leave full timing. It keeps the "I'm stuck here" mentality out of the equation.

Then go have fun! David

Well we did move to Florida here and are full-timing in our motor home. We don't really move around because as some of you are aware, we started a business here in Florida. Giving up the stick house really wasn't that hard for us. I don't really miss it. The costs of staying in the motor home are significantly less... heat, ac, water etc. Smaller area to cool and heat. If you feel like you are getting cramped inside, step outside. The world's your yard.