For all of you Segway users, both of you.

A new Department of Justice rule states that a guest may inquire as to why their Segway is not permitted on WDW property. Disney has performed a safety analysis considering the factors set forth in the Department of Justice rule and determined that unrestricted Segway use is not safe within the WDW environment, enabling the existing policy to remain in effect. Wheelchairs and electric convenience vehicles (ECVs) are permitted.

Call 407-824-5217 with any questions.

The way I see it, if you are unable to walk for any distance, you're probably not able to stand and ride a segway. 

As far as the theme parks are concerned, the ECV's are dangerous enough. Trust me....I've been rammed by many an old person that should not have been on an ECV.  Add segways into the mix and you're just asking for trouble.

For once, they got it right!

For once, they got it right!

Here's the ironic part. Disney is actually going against the ruling. The ruling states that WDW must allow Segways, but Disney is getting around it by saying that they have performed a safety analysis, considered the factors set forth in the Department of Justice rule and determined that unrestricted Segway use is not safe within their environment, enabling their existing policy to remain in effect.

I would just like to know, who in the world thinks they have the right to tell Disney or anyone else they have the RIGHT to use any kind of conveyance on their property. If Disney says they don't want golf carts, segways, bikes or skateboards that is THEIR RIGHT, they own the damn property. Too many times people try to use litigation to get their way, right or wrong to gain access to something. If you don't like the rules then you have a choice not a RIGHT!

I would just like to know, who in the world thinks they have the right to tell Disney or anyone else they have the RIGHT to use any kind of conveyance on their property. If Disney says they don't want golf carts, segways, bikes or skateboards that is THEIR RIGHT, they own the damn property. Too many times people try to use litigation to get their way, right or wrong to gain access to something. If you don't like the rules then you have a choice not a RIGHT!

I'd give you an up arrow for that post Bob, but I see that you're ahead of me. So consider that I gave you a virtual up arrow.

In my humble opinion, which is worth the paper it's written on, I would not like unrestricted use of segways in or around any of the parks. The hover round example is a good one. Some people get on these things and instantly think they own the world. They tend to barge into wherever they want to go without respect for anyone standing there. And those darn backup alarms drive me nuts. Could you imagine segways scooting in and out of the crowds in the parks? Also, being the irresponsible society that we've become, it would be very dangerous in the fort as these things would be zipping in from all directions. Wouldn't take long before another variety of roadkill would be common. Again in my opinion, golf carts are much safer at the fort and wheelchairs and feet are safer in the parks.

• 2 weeks later...

My two cents going here...five years ago we brought my dad who had heart problems and couldn't deal with alot of walking, so he did rent an ECV.  Within 5 minutes he drove that thing in the back of my heels TWICE!!!  Poor man, he threw up his hands and apologized each time.  Come to find out (after he drove in the elevator at the Stunt Show) the CM there asked what the setting was at and it was on high.  He was never told about any settings when he rented it, but have to say he had better control after that.  I just made sure that I was in front of him so I took the brunt of any "accidents".

Nancy