Yay... we made it home, all in once piece, trailer still attached  :jumpforjoy

Question for my fiends...the ride felt pretty "bouncy".  There is a weight distribution hitch attached, but I don't think we had it hooked up properly.  Think that made the difference?  

Camper weighs around 3800 and we're towing with a Nissan Armada (tow capacity of 9000lb).

Thoughts??

Yeah... the previous owner had it set on 3 links, my husband set it on 6.  I a passenger in the car and even I could feel the trailer behind us (which I wasn't expecting, simply because it's not a heavy, heavy trailer and the Armada is suppose to be a pretty decent hauling vehicle).  It was very windy today, so we know that was a factor also. 

I've heard owners say, "I don't even feel my trailer behind me".... guess I was just hoping for that :)

I've heard owners say, "I don't even feel my trailer behind me".... guess I was just hoping for that :)

I have heard a lot of people say that. I have towed a lot of different things and have generally known they were all back there ;)

Spend some time going over the documentation for the WD hitch and then a little more time setting it up according to what it says. That will play a big role in how your vehicle rides when towing.

There are a lot of things that can lead to a bounce.

1. Are you loaded or unloaded?  Mine always rides better with some weight.  We always have some fresh water on hand just to give the trailer some weight as we tend to roll pretty light anyways.
  2. Tension on the spring bars, depending on your setup.
  3. Tires, type and inflation.  After switching to E rated LT tires I noticed less bounce and I don't even run them at high pressure, just more than the stock P rated tires we replaced.

I've found that hitch adjustment, air pressure and loading have a pretty noticeable impact on tow quality

I have another adjustment I will be making to my Equalizer before this weekends trip, hopefully to add more tension and level the trailer a bit more.  After this trip I'll be installing a Hensley Cub.  It will either be a huge waste of time and money or the most awesome thing since sliced bread.  I'll add my opinion to the slew of them out there when it's all done :rofl3:

After this trip I'll be installing a Hensley Cub.  It will either be a huge waste of time and money or the most awesome thing since sliced bread.  I'll add my opinion to the slew of them out there when it's all done :rofl3:

From what I have read about folks going to  the Hensley no one has ever bees disappointed, just takes getting used to it. I used to tow a tt with a Suburban and the Pullrite swivel hitch, that's another good hitch set up but really different but also great once you got used to it, no sway and push when large trucks would pass you.

1. Are you loaded or unloaded?  Mine always rides better with some weight.  We always have some fresh water on hand just to give the trailer some weight as we tend to roll pretty light anyways.   EMPTY
  2. Tension on the spring bars, depending on your setup.  YEAH, WE THINK WE MAY HAVE NEEDED MORE TENSION
  3. Tires, type and inflation.  After switching to E rated LT tires I noticed less bounce and I don't even run them at high pressure, just more than the stock P rated tires we replaced.  WE ARE LOOKING AT NEW TIRES, BUT LOOKS LIKE WE CANNOT GET AN LT TIRE IN OUR SIZE...

I've found that hitch adjustment, air pressure and loading have a pretty noticeable impact on tow quality

I have another adjustment I will be making to my Equalizer before this weekends trip, hopefully to add more tension and level the trailer a bit more.  After this trip I'll be installing a Hensley Cub.  It will either be a huge waste of time and money or the most awesome thing since sliced bread.  I'll add my opinion to the slew of them out there when it's all done :rofl3:

1. Are you loaded or unloaded?  Mine always rides better with some weight.  We always have some fresh water on hand just to give the trailer some weight as we tend to roll pretty light anyways.
  2. Tension on the spring bars, depending on your setup.
  3. Tires, type and inflation.  After switching to E rated LT tires I noticed less bounce and I don't even run them at high pressure, just more than the stock P rated tires we replaced.

From what I have read about folks going to  the Hensley no one has ever bees disappointed, just takes getting used to it. I used to tow a tt with a Suburban and the Pullrite swivel hitch, that's another good hitch set up but really different but also great once you got used to it, no sway and push when large trucks would pass you.

One motorhome and one 5'er ago, we pulled a 30" TT and used the Hensley Arrow.  This was the original version as the Cub had not come out yet  I have to say from personal experience that it was the best money that I spent and it offered the best towing experience.  When we bought the trailer we had the standard weight distributing hitch with the friction sway control.  I had it set up as best as possible, but when I switched over to the Hensley, it was like night and day.... The biggest things that I noticed what that the "sucking" feel that I got just as I passed a tractor trailer was eliminated all together with the Hensley.

The hook-up process will take a little getting used to, but once you find what works best for you, it will be a snap to connect and out on the road...

We just got a Nissan Armada 2 months ago, our old tow vehicle was a Chevy Traverse with almost no rear suspension, so we had the WDH chains set at 6 links, tried that on our Armada with the rear level control and it was like the trailer was trying to piggy back the truck, it was bouncing everywhere, so I dropped the chains down 3 links, boom, night and day, that Armada is a beast!  Brian

We just got a Nissan Armada 2 months ago, our old tow vehicle was a Chevy Traverse with almost no rear suspension, so we had the WDH chains set at 6 links, tried that on our Armada with the rear level control and it was like the trailer was trying to piggy back the truck, it was bouncing everywhere, so I dropped the chains down 3 links, boom, night and day, that Armada is a beast!  Brian

Thank you!  Do you use the tow mode when pulling?

• 1 month later...