Maple Cinnamon Banana Bread

January 3, 201354 Comments »

Maple-Cinnamon-Banana-Bread.jpg

Maple flavored banana bread loaded with cinnamon AND cinnamon chips.

The new year is here.  I can’t believe it.  December flew past me.  It seems one minute I was throwing together Halloween costumes and the next minute I was toasting in the new year!  How does this happen?  I was so busy baking, prepping, planning, wrapping and posing Iggy our Elf on the shelf, that I didn’t have time to stop and just enjoy the season.

I know my family and most of my friends have already taken down their Christmas decorations.  Trees have been packed away or thrown away.  Wreaths have been stowed, stockings have been tucked away until next year.   I have yet to do these things.  I’m just not ready.  I know that once I take down that first ornament, I will work feverishly until all traces of the holiday have vanished.

I baked banana bread today.  To be specific, I made maple cinnamon banana bread.  I had soft, ripe bananas to use up.   In my house ripe bananas=banana bread!  While the banana bread was baking, the richest aroma filled my kitchen!  The maple and cinnamon made my home smell so warm and cozy.  It reminded me of Christmas!  Maple and cinnamon is such a classic combination.  Combine them with moist banana bread and you have pure comfort.

When the banana bread was ready, I plugged in the Christmas tree, made myself some tea, put on my Vince Gauraldi Charlie Brown Christmas and snuggled up on the couch.  Lucy was playing with her Christmas toys and I was thinking of all the fun that was had over the past few weeks.  Lots of family, friends and food.

Today I reflected, tomorrow I will tear down.  It’s all good.

If you’d like a little Lulu in your life, please subscribe, via email, RSS, Facebook or Google +.  I love keeping in touch with friends.

Recipe Type: bread, breakfast
Author: Lemons for Lulu
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 75 mins
Total time: 1 hour 25 mins
Serves: 12
Soft, moist banana bread flavored with maple syrup and cinnamon.
Ingredients
  • ½ cup vegetable oil
  • 1 ¼ cup flour
  • ½ cup sugar
  • ¼ cup brown sugar
  • 1-teaspoon baking powder
  • 1-teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1-teaspoon cinnamon
  • ½ teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1 10oz package cinnamon flavored baking chips
  • 2 eggs
  • ½ cup sour cream
  • 1-tablespoon maple syrup
  • 2-3 ripe bananas mashed
  • For the glaze:
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 3 tablespoons milk
  • 1-tablespoon maple syrup
Get Brunch Recipes That Use Real Butter

Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350. Spray a 9×5 loaf pan, set aside.
  2. In a large bowl, whisk together, flour, sugars, baking powder, salt, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg and cinnamon chips.
  3. In a separate bowl, stir together oil, eggs, sour cream, and maple syrup. Stir in the mashed bananas. Fold the banana mixture into the flour mixture until just combined.
  4. Pour batter into baking pan. Bake in over for 60-75 minutes until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. You may have to cover bread lightly with foil during the last 10 minutes to prevent too much browning.
  5. Remove from oven and let cool in pan for about 30 minutes. Remove to a baking rack to cool completely before covering with glaze.
  6. For the glaze:
  7. Stir together sugar, milk and maple syrup until smooth and easily poured. Pour over cooled bread and let set 15-20 minutes.

http://www.lemonsforlulu.com/2013/01/03/maple-cinnamon-banana-bread/

I need to get some bananas, because this sounds AWESOME! Have you tried this recipe? I've never seen cinnamon baking chips, so I better start looking for those.

Or you could try making your own: http://www.brighteyedbaker.com/2012/03/04/diy-cinnamon-chips/

I have not tried this, but may in the near future.  But I would substitute simple syrup for corn syrup.

I need to get some bananas, because this sounds AWESOME! Have you tried this recipe? I've never seen cinnamon baking chips, so I better start looking for those.

Or you could try making your own: http://www.brighteyedbaker.com/2012/03/04/diy-cinnamon-chips/

I have not tried this, but may in the near future.  But I would substitute simple syrup for corn syrup.

Found cinnamon chips at Walmart today! I grabbed a bag. Now, I just have to stop being lazy, and try this recipe!

DD61288D-DED6-4A9E-BE08-41E9C01AF815.jpg

If anyone gives this a try, let us know what you think.

Hmm.. I wonder what it would be like with maple syrup?

I made this today. I think I prefer plain banana bread over this - I think all of that cinnamon sort of took away from the banana taste, for me. Kenneth really liked this recipe. In fact, he's the main reason I tried it. When I showed him the recipe, he was really excited about us trying it. I had a hard time with the glaze, also. When I followed the recipe, it was very runny. I had to add a good bit more powdered sugar to thicken it up. I would make this again - I just have to tell myself it's cinnamon bread, instead of banana bread. :)

I made this today. I think I prefer plain banana bread over this - I think all of that cinnamon sort of took away from the banana taste, for me. Kenneth really liked this recipe. In fact, he's the main reason I tried it. When I showed him the recipe, he was really excited about us trying it. I had a hard time with the glaze, also. When I followed the recipe, it was very runny. I had to add a good bit more powdered sugar to thicken it up. I would make this again - I just have to tell myself it's cinnamon bread, instead of banana bread. :)

Good to know - thanks!